Psvane Acme Series (new flagship series)

chaccone

Aug 5, 2016
Just wanted to share my experience with Psvane, not very impressed with their customer service and product quality.

I have been using the ACME 845 for 4 months. One of the tubes started to develop problems over time. After I switched the amp off, one of the tubes remained bright for almost 14s while the other didn't have this issue. And the side where the tube remained bright, the speaker would emit some noise before the tube finally cools down. The seller insists that the tube is fine and asked me to continue to use it.

However, it got worse. The side with that problematic tube started to have a cracking sound every other second so I quickly switched the amp off.

I should have heeded the warnings at the beginning of this thread. I thought I wouldn't be so unlucky but I should have learnt not to take chances for such an expensive tube. I asked the shop to send me a replacement pair but the seller on taobao insists that i send the tubes back so that they can send to the factory for testing; they will replace if they test that there is an issue. So even if your tube blows up, they will insist you send it back to the factory. Will see how it goes and if they eventually replace it for me but it will be a long wait....

So yes, you might want to consider other more reliable tubes if you don't want to go through the hassle of replacement and dealing with Psvane on the warranty. It's a pity that Psvane didn't do any better, I was really liking the sound of the ACME 845.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Just wanted to share my experience with Psvane, not very impressed with their customer service and product quality.

I have been using the ACME 845 for 4 months. One of the tubes started to develop problems over time. After I switched the amp off, one of the tubes remained bright for almost 14s while the other didn't have this issue. And the side where the tube remained bright, the speaker would emit some noise before the tube finally cools down. The seller insists that the tube is fine and asked me to continue to use it.

However, it got worse. The side with that problematic tube started to have a cracking sound every other second so I quickly switched the amp off.

I should have heeded the warnings at the beginning of this thread. I thought I wouldn't be so unlucky but I should have learnt not to take chances for such an expensive tube. I asked the shop to send me a replacement pair but the seller on taobao insists that i send the tubes back so that they can send to the factory for testing; they will replace if they test that there is an issue. So even if your tube blows up, they will insist you send it back to the factory. Will see how it goes and if they eventually replace it for me but it will be a long wait....

So yes, you might want to consider other more reliable tubes if you don't want to go through the hassle of replacement and dealing with Psvane on the warranty. It's a pity that Psvane didn't do any better, I was really liking the sound of the ACME 845.
Have you tried the seemingly faulty tube in the other channel of the amp?
Does the problem stay on the same channel (amp's fault) or does the problem wander to the other channel with the seemingly faulty tube (tube's fault)?

chaccone

Aug 5, 2016
Have you tried the seemingly faulty tube in the other channel of the amp?
Does the problem stay on the same channel (amp's fault) or does the problem wander to the other channel with the seemingly faulty tube (tube's fault)?

I am using monoblocks. Yes the problem follows the tube when I switch the tube to the other monoblock so definitely it’s a problem with the tube.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
So this is a definite sign that the tube is at fault.
Did you tell the dealer about the fact that the problem wanders with the tube?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

PLGA

Feb 7, 2020
Thanks for the reply.
I have read in various forums that Robert is a seller known and appreciated not only in Singapore, but also in the United States and Australia.
I would like to buy the Line Magnetic LM-219IA from Robert. In Europe it is difficult to find and has a high cost.
Unfortunately i haven't experience of tube sound. Line Magnetic would be my first purchase.

I would like to know if Robert attaches the wiring diagram for any future technical interventions as documentation.

These are some improvements made by Robert on the LM-219IA and I think also on the 845 premium:
"The power section capacitors upgraded to Mundorf & Vishay capacitors with low noise rectifier. option of coupling capacitor includes Urushi capacitors, Mundorf SGO capacitors, Furutech Rohdium IEC inlets etc."

Could you tell me the price of the Telefunken that Robert gave you?
What would be a fair price for a matching pair?
Regards

Hello @faggella @wisnon and @Saleh84
I contacted Robert Lai by email to quote me the information and advice on how to internally mod my LM-508 with a local tech here as I live in Argentina and its impossible for me to send the amp to him.

Im willing to take the chance on changing the internal parts of the amp only if the upgrade in sound quality is "really" good, not marginal. Otherwise, upgrading valves becomes more reasonable and safer.

If any of you have done any mods with him, what mods in your amps have you done with Robert and how would you describe the upgrade in sound quality?

Any other who would like to share his experience on modifying any Line Magnetic amp?

Thank you!

faggella

Jan 8, 2020
I contacted Robert Lai by email to quote me the information and advice on how to internally mod my LM-508 with a local tech here as I live in Argentina and its impossible for me to send the amp to him.

Im willing to take the chance on changing the internal parts of the amp only if the upgrade in sound quality is "really" good, not marginal. Otherwise, upgrading valves becomes more reasonable and safer.

If any of you have done any mods with him, what mods in your amps have you done with Robert and how would you describe the upgrade in sound quality?

Any other who would like to share his experience on modifying any Line Magnetic amp?

Thank you!

HI

I purchased an integrated Line Magnetic LM-219IA Singapore version from Robert Lai.

So the amplifier came to me already modified.

I can't tell you what sonic improvements the changes made by Robert bring, you have to compare the standard version with the Singapore version. But buyers of the standard version are also happy with the sound of their amplifier.

I can tell you that the sound of my LM-219IA is very natural.

As Robert himself told me, the changes made concern:
Furutech AC inlet for pure clean power transmission
Gold plated 845 valve Socket only found in HiEnd tube amplifier
Mundorf / Vishay Capacitors
Lower noise floor improved power supply
Urushi / Mundorf Signal coupling capacitors
German low noise rectifier.

If you are not sure of the changes to make, I would limit myself to replacing the valves.

Regards

PLGA

Feb 7, 2020
HI

I purchased an integrated Line Magnetic LM-219IA Singapore version from Robert Lai.

So the amplifier came to me already modified.

I can't tell you what sonic improvements the changes made by Robert bring, you have to compare the standard version with the Singapore version. But buyers of the standard version are also happy with the sound of their amplifier.

I can tell you that the sound of my LM-219IA is very natural.

As Robert himself told me, the changes made concern:
Furutech AC inlet for pure clean power transmission
Gold plated 845 valve Socket only found in HiEnd tube amplifier
Mundorf / Vishay Capacitors
Lower noise floor improved power supply
Urushi / Mundorf Signal coupling capacitors
German low noise rectifier.

If you are not sure of the changes to make, I would limit myself to replacing the valves.

Regards

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, making any change in the amp will mean a lot of effort, not few money and considerable time and patience.

I would only think about it if I find at least a couple of LM amps owners who have successfully done it with great results.

Im very happy with the amp as it is right now and soon will get the ACME 805s, so Im not on a rush.

Reactions: faggella

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Thank you!
Sorry,

I use SS amps.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
LoL.

It means I cant answer his question on feedback of Acme tubes in tube amps.

No, I am NOT sorry about using small SS monoblocs that can deliver 1300wps into 0.5ohms and do so in a stable fashion. I thus get extreme control of my woofers and nigh unlimited dynamics.

JoeyGun

Feb 12, 2020
Where do you guys find to be the best place to buy the ACME 300b in the US? I live in Los Angeles, and of course, in case things go wrong with the tubes and I have to use warranty, I'd like to have not deal with shipping far far away.

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
Where do you guys find to be the best place to buy the ACME 300b in the US? I live in Los Angeles, and of course, in case things go wrong with the tubes and I have to use warranty, I'd like to have not deal with shipping far far away.
I've purchased Psvane tubes from Grant Fidelity, including having to return some. Good to work with. I would have no hesitation to buy from them again.

JoeyGun

Feb 12, 2020
I've purchased Psvane tubes from Grant Fidelity, including having to return some. Good to work with. I would have no hesitation to buy from them again.

Sadly, his page doesn't seem to have the ACME's in stock =(

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I got this pair for the amp of my secondary system. I will plug them next weekend:

For the 300B drivers, I opted for the the KR Audio RK Limited Edition:

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I got this pair for the amp of my secondary system. I will plug them next weekend:

For the 300B drivers, I opted for the the KR Audio RK Limited Edition:

Wow, what a nice tube complement.
I wonder how much better those sound than the stock tubes?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Grant passed away about a decade ago. His partner Rachel has been running the company. Excellent service over the years with my Shuguang and then Psvane Treasures 2A3 and my Psvane Acme 2A3s. No problems. My understanding is that Grant has all their tubes pretested. You can contact Rachel for more information. BTW, Psvane is pronounced Pavane (the s was a typo - the printers thought the script "a" was an "s").

I met Ian Grant and Rachel at the first DaGogo show in Oakland around 2010. They were very nice and bringing into North America (Canada) some of the top high end Chinese tube equipment and tubes. I switched from Kron to Shuguang tubes and then to Psvane. Now I use both Kron and Psvane Acme tubes with excellent results.

Larry

Last edited:

PLGA

Feb 7, 2020
Hi guys
I've just ordered the 805 ACMEs to the dealer who sold me the LM-508IA and some other gear, china-hifi-audio.com

Due to shippment and customs delay, it will take about two months to get here. I will post my impressions latter on.

Reactions: faggella

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing