QSA : My take on their expensive products

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I’m going for the moment at least back off my comments….

I decided to check the fuse direction. Sure enough, it was pointing back to front in a screw-in holder, as it should. So I reversed it and voila! drums sounded right, just as before, and everything else opened up. Don't know if I can get it replaced -- it is a defect -- but it is a reminder that if things don't sound as expected, forget the arrow and reverse. Happened a few years back with an SR Orange too.

Last edited:

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
In the past, I have been a fan of all of the SR fuses. I then went to the QSA yellow fuses. I did not try the SR purple. I had them in all of my components. However, since the end of last year, I have added the Lampizator Horizon, DAC, and Aries Cerat Essentia monoblocks. Curiously, I did not add any boutique fuses to my recent additions.

I had an SR Power One filter plugged into the end of my Inakuatic 3500P Power conditioner to the SR Orange wall outlet. My power cord is the Hijiri Takumi.

I debated whether I would add the boutique fuses to the AC amps and the Horizon. They take 6 and I was thinking about the QSA red or red black. Mike at Tweek Geeks suggested I try the QSA Conditioner plugs instead.

I removed the SR power one filter and installed a QSA Silver conditioner jitter plug. I turned my system on and listened to music with my head down reading articles on my computer. About one minute into the first song the change in SQ immediately struck me. I looked up and began to focus on the music and what
I was hearing. The music was crystal clear. Each instrument was very detailed. The vocals were succinct. The soundstage widened. Even the bass was better.

I now listen to more jazz and instrumental pieces because the orchestration is so good. I am even hearing tiny background instruments that I had never heard before.

I have no idea what QSA does to this cheap-looking plug but for me, it works. I probably am done buying fuses. But I do wonder what would happen if I replaced my SR Orange outlet with a QSA outlet.

romaz

Oct 7, 2015
In the past, I have been a fan of all of the SR fuses. I then went to the QSA yellow fuses. I did not try the SR purple. I had them in all of my components. However, since the end of last year, I have added the Lampizator Horizon, DAC, and Aries Cerat Essentia monoblocks. Curiously, I did not add any boutique fuses to my recent additions.

I had an SR Power One filter plugged into the end of my Inakuatic 3500P Power conditioner to the SR Orange wall outlet. My power cord is the Hijiri Takumi.

I debated whether I would add the boutique fuses to the AC amps and the Horizon. They take 6 and I was thinking about the QSA red or red black. Mike at Tweek Geeks suggested I try the QSA Conditioner plugs instead.

I removed the SR power one filter and installed a QSA Silver conditioner jitter plug. I turned my system on and listened to music with my head down reading articles on my computer. About one minute into the first song the change in SQ immediately struck me. I looked up and began to focus on the music and what
I was hearing. The music was crystal clear. Each instrument was very detailed. The vocals were succinct. The soundstage widened. Even the bass was better.

I now listen to more jazz and instrumental pieces because the orchestration is so good. I am even hearing tiny background instruments that I had never heard before.

I have no idea what QSA does to this cheap-looking plug but for me, it works. I probably am done buying fuses. But I do wonder what would happen if I replaced my SR Orange outlet with a QSA outlet.

This "QSA Silver conditioner jitter plug" is essentially the wall plug portion of a power cord. Imagine what happens when the same QSA treatment is applied to the entire power cord.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
This "QSA Silver conditioner jitter plug" is essentially the wall plug portion of a power cord. Imagine what happens when the same QSA treatment is applied to the entire power cord.

This is exactly what I was thinking when considering the investment.
I ordered QSA Lanedri top powercord ( Ultimatum ) with Infinity treatment
and I plan to use it as a main cord for the sockect splitter ( Thinking Shunyata everest ? )
so every component in my system can benefit from this preformance.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
This is exactly what I was thinking when considering the investment.
I ordered QSA Lanedri top powercord ( Ultimatum ) with Infinity treatment
and I plan to use it as a main cord for the sockect splitter ( Thinking Shunyata everest ? )
so every component in my system can benefit from this preformance.
Please report back your results.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
will do for sure.

Just not sure what top performing solutions are recommended for the Socket splitter.
Need to plug all things like DAC , pre, server, 3 power supplys to one device that will be connected to the wall by Ultimatum Infinity.
My worry was that splitter can infuence the Ultimatum performance .
I hope I am wrong , and there is no infuence on the Ultimatum power cord performance .

Reactions: PhoenixRising

romaz

Oct 7, 2015
will do for sure.

Just not sure what top performing solutions are recommended for the Socket splitter.
Need to plug all things like DAC , pre, server, 3 power supplys to one device that will be connected to the wall by Ultimatum Infinity.
My worry was that splitter can infuence the Ultimatum performance .
I hope I am wrong , and there is no infuence on the Ultimatum power cord performance .
The splitter/distributor/line conditioner will have an influence. Basically any untreated device that you put into your chain will somewhat mute the impact of any QSA-treated device that is upstream and yet the impact can still be very significant and worthwhile as evidenced by @Willgolf's experience with a QSA Jitter plug. In this situation, if you can replace the outlets in your "socket splitter" with QSA-treated outlets, as you might imagine, there will be significant gains to be had and these gains will be additive to any Jitter plugs or QSA-treated power cables you may already be using.

Reactions: PhoenixRising

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
So having the Ultimatum to the splitter and than normal cables is not optimal
Ultimatum to the splitter and gamma for all equipment?
I don't think I could finance additional 5 Ultimatum Power cables.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

wil

Jul 22, 2015
If anyone is looking to find a good value on a QSA Silver fuse, I have one for sale. Perfect size for Taiko Extreme (6.3A - 250V). PM me.

Reactions: keithc

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
If anyone is looking to find a good value on a QSA Silver fuse, I have one for sale. Perfect size for Taiko Extreme (6.3A - 250V). PM me.

Are you sure you use 6.3 A ?
The original is 2A/250v
This is a big difference.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I'll share my experience with QSA fuses. I've played around with fuses over the years, enough to know they can make a difference. I've tried a variety of inexpensive fuses from the likes of Bussman and Schurter. Yeah, they get the job done but that's about it. I've tried fuses from HiFi Tuning, Audio Magic (including the Beeswax SHD), and the full range of the SR fuses including their new Purple fuse. It was with SR's Orange fuse that I felt the fuse became a necessity. Before that, it was more I could take it or leave it. But even with the SR Orange, the improvement wasn't huge. It was a tweak level improvement that was worth its asking price of $150. If there is a downside to SR fuses, they are prone to blowing and I've blown 6-7 of these fuses over the years.

I decided to try a QSA fuse after reading about how their $28 entry level fuse was performing about as well as the SR Orange fuse. Yes, I saw QSA was also selling a Silver fuse for $5000 USD (the $10,000 Gold fuse is not yet available) and I said to myself there was no way I'd ever buy a Silver fuse but I took the chance on a Red fuse for my preamp (which has a soft start) and this fuse retails for $1422. These fuses can be purchased here in the U.S. through tweekgeek.com and Mike Garner, the owner, is excellent to deal with but the Red fuses are special order and so I went straight to QSA in Hong Kong and they had the fuse in stock. I wired them the necessary funds and I received the fuse here in California after about 5 days. The Red fuse came with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Their warranty also indicates they will replace a blown fuse up to 3 times within the first 2 years after purchase.

View attachment 84648

To cut to the chase, this Red fuse is amazing. It isn't just a little better than the SR Orange, it is a Grand Canyon chasm like difference. Yes, the ground floor drops but the presentation is livelier and more dynamic. Bass is more plentiful, cleaner, tighter, and better defined. Vocals have more presence. Treble is more refined. But ultimately, what was so good is how natural everything sounds. You can play louder without strain or fatigue and you can listen at whisper volumes because there's so much more presence. After a week, I had enough. I went back to QSA and asked to send back this fuse in exchange for a Silver fuse and so I did what I said I would never do. I also ordered a Red fuse specifically for my SGM Extreme. QSA makes fuses expressly for digital gear that is designed to address HF noise better and so obviously, these fuses are intentionally filtering. I already knew this because I have bypassed fuses before and I know what that sounds like. The improvement in SQ from a Red fuse was far greater than what I have heard by bypassing a fuse.

The Silver analog fuse (for my preamp) and the Red digital fuse (for my SGM Extreme) arrived 3 days ago:

View attachment 84649

Yeah, I'm a crazy lunatic for spending this much money on fuses but I'm a happy crazy lunatic. As good as the Red fuse is, the Silver fuse is just better and not by a small margin. It does all the things a Red fuse does but takes it up several notches. The clarity over the Red fuse is just unbelievable. More space, images have greater density (but not at the expense of speed or agility), and unreal transient response. The presentation sounds more relaxed but the Silver fuse is capable of explosiveness that the Red fuse can't match. Supposedly, the Red fuse takes 2 days to burn in while the Silver fuse takes 7-10 days but at day 3, the combo of Red in the Extreme and Silver in my preamp is really as good as I could hope for. There's no way these fuses will be returned.

I have tried the Silver in both a Vinnie Rossi L2 preamp with Takatsuki 300B tubes and a D'Agostino Momentum HD and with either preamp, the jump in SQ is beyond what I'm getting from anything else I've tried with either of these preamps. To go from the stock Electro Harmonix 300Bs to the Takatsukis is a nice jump in SQ but not as big as the improvement gained from an SR Orange to the QSA Silver fuse. The improvement gained from the stock footers on the Extreme to a quad of CS2 1.5 footers is a nice gain but is not as big as what I'm hearing from just the Red fuse. Not really even close. I'm evaluating a $9k Shunyata Omega QR power cord for the preamp and the gain over an inexpensive $200 TG SLVR power cord is nowhere near as substantial as what I'm hearing from the Silver fuse. I'm currently evaluating the new Synergistic Research SX Ground block with a full loom of SX ground cables:

View attachment 84650

The impact of completely grounding my entire system with this >$10k ground block + cables is substantial but the impact of a single QSA fuse is still greater.

If you're the kind of audiophile who is open to spending $10-20K for a power cord, then something like a Silver fuse could make sense, otherwise, QSA makes fuses that start at $28 but having evaluated various power cords over the years including the High Fidelity Cables Pro Series, Nordost Odin 2, and others, I have yet to hear a PC that makes the same difference as this QSA Silver fuse.

I have no affiliation with QSA. They are based in Hong Kong and I am based in the U.S. I have my guesses but I really have no idea what they have done to these fuses. I have no measurements I can offer and I suspect they don't either. Even if they did, I don't think measurements would convey just how large the gap in SQ I'm hearing with these fuses. Yes, these are sacrificial items and eventually, they could blow although they are willing to replace or repair their fuses during the warranty period. You could always choose to uprate the fuse but then you would have to accept the risks that go along with that and so consequently buying a fuse this expensive is not something I can condone but in my case, I already know I will be exchanging this Red fuse I bought for the SGM Extreme and will upgrade it to a Silver.
Nice carpet !

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
ED97435C-53A4-42F9-9E51-17B4E8289C7B.jpeg
Here we go. Both red and red black on trial…

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I can't wait to hear your reviews of each. I assume you are going to start with the Red

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
My review of QSA sockets:

IMG_1430.jpg

My socket journey started when I upgraded my main power cord to a larger diameter Shunyata Sigma XC cable for my space-limited home office system, resulting in an awkward situation where the cord protrudes from the wall and makes an awkward bend as it is then forced back to hug the wall and go behind the rack. I was looking for solutions for my 90-degree angle needed when others recommend upgrading my house's contractor Leviton outlets to something more respectable.

Based on a forum member's advice, I replaced my existing $5 child-safe receptacle with a more respectable $30 Hubbell HBL5362W. It was fine, but did not blow me away, and on initial listen seemed a bit less dynamic and exciting than my el cheapo Leviton. So, looking for something more "audiophile", I considered Synergistic Research, Shunyata, Furutech, etc. Abstract reviews online seem mixed, and then QSA came along, with online rave reports sounding like it's the next sliced bread. So I thought I'd try out the QSA Red and Red-Black sockets as middle-tiered options.

Methodology & Appearance & Quality:

IMG_1451.JPG IMG_1453.JPG IMG_1452.JPG

All configurations involved using a Sigma V2 XC with a Voodoo 90-degree adapter straight into the receptacle and a Denali 6000S/V2 with a single wall outlet which is part of a daisy chain in my home office, with other outlets dedicated to nearby computer equipment. I went from my Hubbell HBL5362 to the QSA Red for 4 days, and then to the QSA Red-Black for 8 days. Then I went back my original contractor Leviton 15A Decora duplex (SKU #T5325-205-00W, has "TR" printed on the front fascia) and wrote this review.

The appearance of an outlet receptacle is probably about as unimportant as it gets. After all, it's in the wall, and you won't ever look at it... but it is still the first impression. After all, if I'm paying for a receptacle equivalent of a Porsche 911 GT3, I can't help but /some/ expectations of its panel gaps, door closure thunk, and interior upholstery. The appearance and build quality of the $1550 outlet is probably the most disappointing aspect; obviously this is in the eye of the beholder, so I posted side-by-side photos compared to my $30 Hubbell above. The QSA is much lighter, smaller, and seemed overall to have much less metal than the Hubbell, and upon removing the neutral/hot bus screws, there was quite a bit of rattle. In fact, I had intended to first install the Red-Black, but after removing one of the hot screws to loop in the wire, there was misalignment between the metal parts (due to rattle) such that I could not put the screw back in, and instead installed the Red first. A brief google search shows this is based on the Legrand-Pass & Seymour 5362BL Hard Use Spec Grade Receptacle, Mexico market version, which is < $10 USD at the time of this review.

In full disclosure, I did not buy an off-the-shelf P&S 5362BL as a control for comparison. Nor can I do a blind A/B as my wife is likely to divorce me if she knew I was testing $1550 receptacles.

IMG_1433.JPG

Sound:

As long as it doesn't short or burn down my walls, who cares how it looks right? How does it sound?

The Red socket sounded ok. I'll leave it at that, it did not make enough of an impression for me to remember its signature. I did not notice any remarkable difference from my Hubbell, but I attribute at least part of this to inadequate burn-in time... but still, I'd expect some improvement... I did notice the both frequency extremes seemed more rolled off.

Compared to the Red, the Red-Black socket sounded more like live music within 30 minutes of installation, or in my headphone case, more like I was in the same studio. There was more bass depth than the Red, but still a tad diminished compared to my baseline, making passages with bass drums or tympani less sonically impressive, and songs like U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" a bit thin, and U2's "Ultra Violet" missing its undertone. Most evident, however, was that accompaniments / background vocals and some instruments are more pronounced. Treble energy is pronounced, with sibilance not previously noticed.

Going back to the Leviton was the biggest surprise. I predicted it would be hearing a bunch of trash and feeling shame knowing what I lived with, but on my first 15 minutes the original deep, defined bass and lower mids came back. Macrodynamics went up by 2 levels, making it sound much more live. Tympani membrane bounce was defined, drums had kick, as if I went from a 50W amp to a 600W amp. Voices felt more open and immediacy was turned up a notch. Low-level details were also better, and the frequencies seem more extended on both ends; maybe this is why before i felt there was some brightness? Most importantly, I find myself tapping my hands and playing air guitar much more, and I have a big smile on my face.

Verdict?

1680474466475.png

First, I consider myself a technical and curious but cautious skeptic, with formal training in the sciences, however I'm open to the fact that many things (esp when it comes to psychoacoustics and human perception) cannot be readily measured nor explained by common metrics. I absolutely embrace digital cables and power conditioners, but just can't fathom how this chintzy-looking outlet can have any electrical advantages to my meaty Hubbell, but of course we're also not privy to whatever alien voodoo QSA is doing to their stuff. I'm guessing it might be some PVD or coating process, but without an electron microscope I can't verify this.

I approached this whole exercise with high expectations based on others' review. I wanted to spend money for improvement. Yes, I did hear a sonic difference between the 4 receptacles. But for my system, this is what I heard, and I'm stunned that I preferred not only a "non-audiophile" outlet, but I preferred the cheaper contractor one instead of the beefy Hubbell with supposedly 'better' contact / materials. Within the time constraints of my trial period, this is what I heard; perhaps if I had a prolonged trial and burn-in period things might be different? Maybe it is some synergy thing w/ the Shunyata Denali?

If I were to be a skeptic about my own observations, I would say, "But Keith, perhaps you just prefer the sound you are /used/ to?" Well, to that, I would say I'm actually not used to any sound right now in my system. Over the past 4 months, I have upgraded my amp, then my DAC, interconnects, tubes, power cords, and then the entire power conditioner system, rack, then outlets; I have not had my system at one configuration for more than 2 weeks at any time, and so unfortunately can only observe sizeable changes from recent memory.

I wish others better luck in trying these receptacles. Naturally I ask, "What's wrong with me?", as others have raved about QSA products. Your mileage may vary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing