Rock and Drum videos thread

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Ginger Baker 'Middle Passage' album.
Ancient Sony PS X70 TT, Ortofon Kontrpunkt A cartridge, BG ribbons 300-7Khz with Nelson Pass inspired DefiSit amp with tube rectified 26 tube gain stage.

Reactions: Halcro

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Never cared much for Guns'n Roses but I love the opening guitar here.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I use surrounds and DSP for subs and surrounds through a Yamaha Pre/Pro. I also have a separate gain unit for bass so it can be boosted and volume controlled through a single knob without going into the AV menus.

I use the four subs, all of different manufacture, around the room to enhance dispersal and reinforcement, generally according to the Geddes recommendations. Also, the surround programs contribute to integration. Ambience is a potent enhancer and smoother of bass output as well due to the various delays.

I am loath to recommend bass arrangements to audiophiles, because it seems it's one of those 'princess and the pea' subjects, and audiophiles differ in their sensitivity to 'wet' or 'dry' as well as volume and apparent seamlessness with the mains. I would cite my own sensitivity to such things as modest, so I am easy to please as long as I have enough booty thumps.

However, most visitors have liked my bass for whatever reason, though it has been altered over the years to its present form. I did have one visitor who didn't like it, though, but that was when I had a different single woofer in place many years ago.

Apogees tend to have such a lovely, rich lower bass and midrange that I might also be hesitant to contaminate such if the main panels had enough output. Analysis speakers have a quicker but 'thinner' type of sound by comparison, akin to stats but with more body. However, I don't think that 'speed' difference would necessarily overcome the Apogee 'advantage' which is significant.

Interesting set up I'd genuinely like to hear how well it works.

I know the Omega well. In fact when I heard it many years ago in London it is the speaker that stimulated my interest in planar magnetics. Heard them quite a few times since. Never heard the Epsilon, though.

I think it is an easier going speaker than a Duetta and definitely better with classical music. I genuinely like it but it just doesn't do the kind of music I like as much justice as Duettas do.

Last night I played the Mantra video through my Apogees and it sounded truly dreadful. Interesting because through my Sony WH1000XM3 headphones it sounds pretty good and close to the original video. I must admit I was quite shocked at how poor it sounded. Hey, ho!:);)

I then played the original and it sounded truly awesome. Relief!:)

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

eds60

Oct 17, 2017
How loud do you guys record at?

Everything I try to capture ends up being really quiet.

I recorded at the listening chair, holding a Radio Shack sound level meter, max SPL of 94dB. If measure 1m in front of the right speaker, max SPL is 100dB.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201117-131016_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201117-131016_Video Player.jpg
    850.8 KB · Views: 1

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You still haven't found the light switch, Stehno?
Isn't there a U2 song dedicated to you? Lol

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
You still haven't found the light switch, Stehno?
Isn't there a U2 song dedicated to you? Lol

LOL. Are you hoping for better luck focusing on the visual side of high-end audio?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Could you illuminate things a little?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Moby Dick on TAD 4003 dual FLH

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Reactions: Vienna

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Still got some kinks to work out with my new iphone. Then again, Van Halen also ain't exactly the easiest to record.

Reactions: Mikem53 and Vienna

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

I forgot all about these songs. Not the best engineered recordings by any means but pretty incredible atistry. I've got Green-Eyed Lady set to auto-start where they start cookin.

Reactions: Vienna

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

I get a real kick out of these old songs. Especially when I read others whining about recordings like these sounding so inferior they won't even listen to them on their playback systems. Perhaps it's because my listening skills aren't as refined as theirs. Well, that's one possibility anyway.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The doors, riders on the storm

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
And some bass guitar Victor wooten ( digital you tube .)
In my old place in amsterdam 3 years ago ,it gets quit good at the end

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing