Not enough power in those amps for me to be comfortable. And why PSET?

I'd rather go higher in power and pure SET with Wavac 833.
To be honest I was wandering and expanding on the originally better targeted idea for the 10y pre and then possibly just started to follow along the thread of my dreams over yours… I also do feel the same potential doubts about PSE in general but Ked did sing praises for PSE Kondo style (admittedly listening with the better matched pairing with the Diesis). PS for me I’d settle on TM silver 10y pre and Ongaku :eek: … but my OB horns are an easy 99db and 8 ohm and my needs are few.

Last edited:
To be honest I was wandering and expanding on the originally better targeted idea for the 10y pre and then possibly just started to follow along the thread of my dreams over yours… I also do feel the same potential doubts about PSE in general but Ked did sing praises for PSE Kondo style (admittedly listening with the better matched pairing with the Diesis). PS for me I’d settle on TM silver 10y pre and Ongaku :eek: … but my OB horns are an easy 99db and 8 ohm and my needs are few.

with Kondo the first important item in the chain seems to be their preamp.

Ron should actually try the Soulution 720 in his set up but he won’t.

i would get the Mayer 10y definitely for a SETs horn set up, I have zero idea about its compatibility with multiple amps but would definitely be the place to start.,

Reactions: the sound of Tao
with Kondo the first important item in the chain seems to be their preamp.

i would get the Mayer 10y definitely for a SETs horn set up, I have zero idea about its compatibility with multiple amps but would definitely be the place to start.,
I think I saw Carlos was using a very tasty Radu Tarta pre last time that he mentioned his current setup... maybe the Mayer silver 10y should be released back into the wild.

Omg Ked… I hope that you don’t kiss your mother with that mouth :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Why the 720 over the 725? (I don't think you ever answered Ricky's question about that.)

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Why the 720 over the 725? (I don't think you ever answered Ricky's question about that.)

for this purpose you could try either. My friend the owner, I, and Shakti prefer the 720, but that won’t defeat the purpose of the test. Also 720 is much cheaper in the used market

While I have admired but never loved the Soulution amps, I have read very good things about their preamps...I am pretty sure Marty still uses the Soulution 725 with his Gryphon Mephisto Solos. He had a whole saga about their 700-series amps, but has kept the 725 for many many years.

While I have admired but never loved the Soulution amps, I have read very good things about their preamps...I am pretty sure Marty still uses the Soulution 725 with his Gryphon Mephisto Solos. He had a whole saga about their 700-series amps, but has kept the 725 for many many years.

The preamp is especially good when mated with valve power amps.

for this purpose you could try either. My friend the owner, I, and Shakti prefer the 720, but that won’t defeat the purpose of the test. Also 720 is much cheaper in the used market
Why are you assuming I will like it in my system?

Why are you assuming I will like it in my system?

pointless Question. Listen to it then we can discuss. My friend the owner and I assumed it would sound bad in a system it excelled in.

for more details of how it sounds, you have already read my report.

Not enough power in those amps for me to be comfortable. And why PSET?

I'd rather go higher in power and pure SET with Wavac 833.
Ron, to me the preamp has always been the heart and soul of anyone's system. If you will allow me I will bring your attention back to the Trafomatic Tara 30A which as you know drives long cable runs with ease. Thomas Mayer's work looks fantastic and you may consider calling Jeff Catalano at High Water Sound on the Alieno as well. I have heard the Solution at Marty's and it is indeed excellent. If you want to hear one I'm sure Scott Walker would not mind loaning you his demo for the weekend.

While your focus has been on amplification in my experience it is wise to be bringing a better line stage into the conversation. A better preamplifier will create a significant jump in performance at lower cost and be a platform for the time when you're ready to splurge on those sexy Wavac 833's.

Attachments

• Alieno-Preamp-brochure-Eng.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
pointless Question. Listen to it then we can discuss. My friend the owner and I assumed it would sound bad in a system it excelled in.
I appreciate the suggestion on the preamp. But this is the kind of assuming and theorizing you often chastise me for conducting.

I appreciate the suggestion on the preamp. But this is the kind of assuming and theorizing you often chastise me for conducting.

not at all, I have heard that in 2 set ups by me, and others have in other set ups. There is no assumption and theorization. Whether it is the best for your set up, one cannot say without plugging it in, but whether it should be a key shortlist, sure. You are the one trying to question products on the forum you haven't heard based on descriptions and confusing subjectivity with listening experience and lack of, and using subjectivity to confuse between the very good and mediocre.

I think I saw Carlos was using a very tasty Radu Tarta pre last time that he mentioned his current setup... maybe the Mayer silver 10y should be released back into the wild.
Not only are deciding what Ron should buy, you also make suggestions about what others should sell Graham ! :p

Ron, to me the preamp has always been the heart and soul of anyone's system.
Hello Gary,

Candidly, I have no idea what this means.

The preamp is in the middle of the gain stage between the phono stage and the amplifier, so perhaps it is physically located at the heart and soul position of the body. Is the phono stage the feet? Is the amplifier at the head?

Or do we start at the head of the phono stage and let gravity drive the electrons down to the amplifier as the feet?

I cannot understand assigning a greater moral value or level of affection to one portion of the gain chain over another. In other words I don't find myself getting more attached to, or excited about, dB 12 through dB 22 than I do about dB 1 to db 11.

I have never had, say, dB 18 treat me better than, say, dB 47. I've never had dB 72 send me a Christmas card, but dB 34 forgot about me completely.

The dBs, across the chain of components that make them, are all just gain to me.

:)

Last edited:
DBs sanctified by audio high priests are always better than generic, cheap dBs. Once bitten by a rabid dB, one never views them the same way again.

Reactions: Mcsnare
Not only are deciding what Ron should buy, you also make suggestions about what others should sell Graham ! :p
Guilty as convicted Milan… my 2024 resolution will be I shall not live so vicariously any more :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
The preamp is especially good when mated with valve power amps.
The Soulution 725 should be pretty darned good mated to just about anything. One wonders just how much different/better the new 727 is compared to the 725? A 20 dB improvement in S/N ain't exactly small potatoes, nor the supposedly immeasurable phase shift and 10X improvement in bandwidth. Sure, Valin loves it but that's not a surprise. However his comparative descriptors of the 720, 725 and now 727 in the latest TAS seem to resonate, even though if it was up to Soulution, Valin's picture would be on the Swiss Franc. Perhaps we'll get a sense of its merits at Munich? Let's not de-rail Ron's thread on this diversion any further please. My apologies to Ron for the intrusion but I couldn't couldn't resist as it was an easy pitch to swing at.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu