Ron Resnick Launches Audio Cafe LLC, a New Clarisys Audio Dealer

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"Would you like to hear my recently discovered Afro Acid Jazz bongo and synthesizer symphony? Or maybe the Beethoven Ninth?"

"No, I want to hear Madonna again. I never get tired of Madonna. Do you have any 15 ips tapes of Madonna?"

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I don't mind the Lampizator! I was playing digital for hours yesterday, because that is all I was able to hear at Cyrus'. I played last night the same digital tracks I played at Cyrus'.
I almost believe you, Ron. Almost.

Reactions: Rexp

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations Ron on your new business.
Thank you!

I do have a serious question for you . Wasn’t it you the questioned Robert Harley’s and other reviewers when he wrote about how long term loans were good for the Industry and to paraphrase there’s nothing to see here let’s move on philosophy?
I don’t see how someone can be a dealer and then expect to have neutrality towards other products that do not put money in your pocket?
This seems to be a conflict of interest. I don’t think anyone can serve two masters. Dealers like myself are always being questioned as of motive and in fact you and I had a very serious discussion about this before I renewed my WBF sponsorship.

Thank you for this very fair question. With regard to Clarisys Audio loudspeakers, on the one hand, and my interviews, show reports and reviews on the other, I definitely have an apparent conflict of interest regarding planar dipole loudspeakers versus other loudspeaker topologies, and Clarisys planar dipole loudspeakers versus other brands of planar dipole loudspeakers.

1) On this forum I have accumulated for years a body of work -- reports, philosophies, theories, principles, beliefs, opinions -- which are forever public and on the record. I believe this body of work evidences subjective opinions based on actual listening experience; an unusually large proportion of introspection; fairly fixed listening preferences and opinions; and intellectual honesty.

It is up to me to prove that I am a professional. It is up to me to prove that I can maintain a bright line distinction between wearing my dealer hat for Clarisys Audio and wearing my other hats which require neutrality, impartiality and intellectual honesty. I invite you and anyone else interested in this matter to be the judge. I invite you and anyone else to let me know, publicly or privately, if I fall short.

2) I don't see myself as serving two masters. My sole master remains intellectual honesty for what I write on WBF and Mono and Stereo and for what I say on the WBF YouTube channel, and trying to help audiophiles as best as I can connect emotionally to the music they love. Yes, it is up to me to prove this over time.

Becoming a Clarisys Audio dealer has been in the works since April of 2023. Since April of last year I have conducted numerous interviews with loudspeaker designers. Other than subjectively liking planar dipole speakers in general for my entire life -- a personal preference which admittedly informs some of the questions I ask loudspeaker designers -- have you detected in my many interviews since last April any evidence of impartiality specifically favoring Clarisys loudspeakers?

3) I will not be a conventional dealer with one or two brands of each type of component to sell, trying to encourage people to buy a whole system based on those particular collections. Rather, I will be a single brand (Clarisys) and single component (loudspeaker) dealer demonstrating for prospective clients only Clarisys Audio loudspeakers. I will have a chain of Hegel electronics for people who want to hear the speakers on solid-state.

While I unavoidably have an apparent conflict of interest with regard to loudspeakers in general and with regard to planar dipole loudspeakers in particular, and with regard to Clarisys loudspeakers specifically, I have no conflict of interest of any kind with regard to any other type of component. I have no apparent conflict of interest with regard to phono stages or line stage preamplifiers or amplifiers or cables or DACs or turntables or tonearms or cartridges or acoustic treatments or accessories. So I can do my very best with indisputable neutrality and impartiality to help a client assemble for his/her own ears the best possible components around Clarisys Audio loudspeakers.

And, if planar dipoles in general are not a prospective client's cup of tea, or if Clarisys Audio loudspeakers in particular are not a prospective client's cup of tea, then we can just have a good time, and I am more than happy to point a person in the direction of any other loudspeaker -- including any other planar dipole loudspeaker -- with which I think he/she would achieve the emotional engagement he/she is looking for with the music he/she loves -- which is exactly what I do with the many WBF members who write to me or who call me for all kinds of advice on a daily basis.

4) For these reasons Florián Weingard and Mike Bovaird know that this is not a typical dealer situation. This is not even a typical home dealer situation.

If somebody visits me and happens to like Clarisys Audio loudspeakers as much as I think I like them, then I am happy to help somebody purchase them. Arguably, it's nothing different than what I do all the time with each of my components when anybody visits me. If somebody happens to like the Lampizator Baltic 4, I am happy to introduce him/her to Fred Ainsley. Yes, with regard to Clarisys it would be a formal business transaction, and I have formal responsibility as a dealer for this particular product.

Florián and Mike know well my philosophy that there is no such thing as an objectively best component; that there is no such thing as an objectively best loudspeaker; that there is no such thing as a loudspeaker which does everything better than every other loudspeaker. There are sonic pros and cons to every component. In a subjective hobby any dealer who tells a customer otherwise is not being honest.

I will not suddenly adopt the mentality of many dealers who try to persuade clients that the components they happen to sell somehow are objectively the "best." I am not going to compromise my personal principles and my reputation in this industry and pretend that there is any objective sense in which Clarisys is the best loudspeaker, or the best planar dipole loudspeaker, or anything along those lines. If a prospective client hears from planar dipoles in general (remember I still have the Pendragons I can play for guests just for fun) what I hear from them, or hears from Clarisys in particular what I hear from them, then that's great.

5) So far, I am loving the Clarisys loudspeakers. This is not in derogation of any other loudspeaker. I appreciate that manufacturers, distributors and dealers of other planar dipole loudspeakers might not see it this way. I understand that through their prism they might see my mere mention of a competing speaker -- whether or not I am a dealer for that speaker -- as a negative for their speaker. But I don't think this view is objectively reasonable. Saying "I like X," is not the same as saying "I dislike Y."

I heard the Clarisys Minuets very briefly at AXPONA last year along with many other people. If something actually sounds good at a show that tends to be a statistically significant impression.

I have been a planar dipole person literally my entire audio life. I wouldn't be doing this for any loudspeaker other than a planar dipole.

I remember auditioning Apogee Divas with Andy Singer circa early 1990s in Andy's loft in Manhattan (before his big store at Union Square). I insisted on using tube amplifiers, so I did not want to use Krells. So I purchased, at that time, Magnepans, and then a series of Martin-Logans. Spending yesterday afternoon and evening playing a conceptual descendent of an Apogee Diva with a mere eighty (80) watts of all-tube Jadis JA100s was pretty mind-blowing! I liked it. Whether I am a dealer or not of Clarisys I liked it. If I heard the same thing at a friend's house, I liked it.

I would be writing this exact same thing even if I had not become a Clarisys dealer. How does anyone know this? Because I think for anyone who has followed me for some time it is not difficult to understand me and to get into the groove of how I think. Anybody who knows me or follows me knows I would be writing this exact same thing even if I had not become a Clarisys dealer.

I am working with Clarisys because I wanted to introduce people to what I hear from planar dipoles and to get more involved with what I think is a great-sounding re-incarnated Apogee design -- improved in literally every way from what I saw and heard at Andy Singer's original loft -- than just reporting on it and reviewing it for WBF and Mono and Stereo.

A re-incarnated Apogee with higher sensitivity, a reasonable impedance load, great build quality, presumably greater reliability and great sound quality is what led me to buy Studio Plus. Honestly, if I were placing the order today I would've gotten Auditoriums, so, for my own personal edification, I could make make the fairest comparison with the Pendragons.

6) In summary it absolutely is up to me to prove that this apparent conflict of interest never becomes an actual conflict of interest. It is up to me to prove that I can maintain professionalism and intellectual honesty. I am happy for you and for everyone else to be the judge of this.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations on your new venture Ron!

The Clarisys certainly look very impressive.
Thank you, dcathro! I am really liking this graphite grey color I ordered them in.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I don't see any of the 'demo dealers' as such a terrible thing. They are the audiophiles who are very sociable and enjoy the sociable element of the hobby and don't mind mingling the commercial enterprise with the hobby. They mostly appear to be well heeled without any audio commercial input.

They are sort of like the Japanese audio bars in Lite form. I doubt the income pulses are so awesome that the troubles outweigh.

I don't mind people listening to my stuff once in a while, whether to like it or trash it, but I don't want to be 'on call' for demos for commercial purposes. I don't want my routines subjected to the inconvenience.

On the other hand, if we see Ron on Rodeo Drive with a cardboard sign and jingling a tin cup, we'll know how it went.

Reactions: GroovySauce

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congrats, Ron! That is very exciting.

Thank you, Lloyd!
whether you would ever consider Clarysis Auditoriums with Gryphon Subtowers. Perhaps some day in the future we might all see that trial occur in your room.

Basically a very-nearly full-range panel, and then utilizing all the majesty of the Gryphon tower subs below 32hz.

The thought has occurred to me! o_O The design of the Clarisys is flexible, in that each driver is accessible directly. The Alsyvox has this same driver accessibility.

One observation so far: the Clarisys speakers are about 2 feet in front of the Pendragon speakers. I moved the listening chair two feet back.

Right off the bat I like the additional depth! I should've pulled the Pendragons further into the room, and not worried so much about having space behind my ears to the rear wall.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

I was not that far off when asking you about a potential speaker change, LOL…. but I did not see this comming so quickly. The Clarisys looks awesome in your room. Very slick so to speak! Congratulations on this new project. I wish you the very best. You should install some kind of an automatic sliding floor, so you can slide in and out speakers from the room and optimize for what ever setup, LOL..

Well Ron… My very best to you ;) !!

/ Jk
Thank you very much! A sliding floor would be nice!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As an ex dealer, my advice to you would be never sell anything you would not be happy to listen to yourself. Good luck!
I also note the Suncoast guys were using VAC over Hegel at the Florida show...
I love VAC in general. I bet I would like VAC on any planar dipole.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations Ron!

My sister in law here in Oslo is an old friend of Bent Holter of Hegel. Will make sure he knows his products are in excellent hands.
Thank you!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don't know congratulations is really the correct word. I'm actually a bit sad for you. I fear your in for an uncomfortable ride. I hope I'm wrong and you enjoy the new endeavor. Best wishes
Thank you, Rex. Time will tell. . .

Coppy777

Jun 5, 2020
Sarasota, Florida
Congratulations, Ron. Mike Bovaird is my local dealer here in Sarasota, so I’ve had an opportunity to hear how good the Clarisys is.
And, VAC is here as well. Enjoy the ride and good luck to you.

Reactions: abeidrov

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Congratulations Ron on your new venture!

Impressions are everything. I am sure that you take the utmost care toward impartiality.

In the end the people will vote with participation here or with their wallet on a new set of Clarisys in SoCal. That is the true measure.

I wasn't as enamored as some with the Axpona '23 display of the Clarisys- however, as a planar practitioner for most of my audio life- they did have some excellent qualities. I assume that the room was the main opportunity in Chicago.

We have chatted several times in the past and you strike me as fair and objective enthusiast. I am sure you will work diligently in maintaining your good reputation.

Reactions: Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Ron. Mike Bovaird is my local dealer here in Sarasota, so I’ve had an opportunity to hear how good the Clarisys is.
And, VAC is here as well. Enjoy the ride and good luck to you.
Thank you!

Did you hear the six VACs on the Auditoriums at the recent Florida show?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
"Would you like to hear my recently discovered Afro Acid Jazz bongo and synthesizer symphony? Or maybe the Beethoven Ninth?"

"No, I want to hear Madonna again. I never get tired of Madonna. Do you have any 15 ips tapes of Madonna?"
What's wrong with Madonna?

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and Johan K

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats, Ron!

I didn't realize Mike was also a Clarisys dealer.

I really want to hear them...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Reactions: Ron Resnick

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Even has me tempted to breach the smog and traffic battlements of the great desert city with my USB chip of rap scratch disco music to hear the Clarysis.

I usually don't like to waste dealer's time as a tire kicker, unless I have serious intent to purchase, but as an old Apogee hand I am, indeed, curious.

With casual perusals of the internet info, I have wondered if Florian is the same ‘Tiny Tim’ of the old Apogee groups. Tiny Tim as a very young man painstakingly rebuilt a set of Apogee Grand speakers and had a few other Apogees. If this is so, I can’t imagine a better person to carry the banner.

• Love
Reactions: Golum and Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing