Seismion - new active isolation platform from Germany

I have tried to put the air pumps of the air-bearing tonearms on Reactio, but, unfortunately, the active isolator didn’t work properly and generate abnormal continuous noise. I guess the vibration amplitude of the pump may be greater than the maximal control force of the isolator and the unsuccessful compensating attempt of the isolator cause the abnormal feedback loop.

View attachment 136489

Although the pump is not suitable for Reactio, the vibration generated by the pump must be carefully addressed because the pump is one of the noisiest components in the audio room. Currently I use the passive isolator composed of multi-layered audiophile platforms and footers beneath the pump to reduce the vibration.
All pumps vibrates. They shake with different amplitudes depending on design. TechDAS has multiple layers of soft absorber in the chassis to reduce the vibration transmitting outside. If your pumps shake too much for Reactio to handle, you should put Symposium Ultra on top of Reactio to take some of the shaking away to within the limit of Reactio. I think it will work.

Reactions: MTS
I have secured a variety of interconnecting cables on the top-plate of Reactio by tape and found the sonic performance is improved. The cables I have tried include signal interconnects, power cables and even airflow tubes for air-bearing tonearm and all of them benefit by Reactio.
Fixing all cables to the top-plate is an excellent way to get the best performance from active isolation. Another neat way is to use some juggling balls filled with millet, sand etc. They are small, cheap and effective. For thick cables one has to fill some bags with granular material.

Sebastian

All pumps vibrates. They shake with different amplitudes depending on design. TechDAS has multiple layers of soft absorber in the chassis to reduce the vibration transmitting outside. If your pumps shake too much for Reactio to handle, you should put Symposium Ultra on top of Reactio to take some of the shaking away to within the limit of Reactio. I think it will work.
I agree, put the Symposium Ultra on top of the Reactio, it should be about 10kg and will reduce the maximum vibration amplitude of the pump due to its mass. It is like this:

Force = Mass * Acceleration --> Acceleration = Force / Mass

thus the acceleration of the top-plate will decrease if you increase the mass. The force (reaction force) generated by the pump is not affected by all this.

Sebastian

Fixing all cables to the top-plate is an excellent way to get the best performance from active isolation. Another neat way is to use some juggling balls filled with millet, sand etc. They are small, cheap and effective. For thick cables one has to fill some bags with granular material.

Sebastian

Wouldn’t that make it sound grainy? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Opabin
Wouldn’t that make it sound grainy? ;)
I heard system that sounded grainy and harsh with too many active isolation. The problem is not caused by active isolation, or I can put it like this, resonance harmonics of the system covers the inherit harshness. When resonance harmonics is removed by active isolation, the sound seems dry. When the cause of graininess is corrected, the sound will be much better.

Active isolators can significantly reduce vibration to enhance the performance of all audio components. In my system, not only audio devices, such as turntables and amps, but also interconnecting cables between those audio devices benefit greatly from the vibration-less environment provided by active isolators.

I have secured a variety of interconnecting cables on the top-plate of Reactio by tape and found the sonic performance is improved. The cables I have tried include signal interconnects, power cables and even airflow tubes for air-bearing tonearm and all of them benefit by Reactio.View attachment 136473View attachment 136474
another alternative is 'unweighting' any heavy cables. especially heavy phono, power, speaker, or interconnect cables. those cables hanging off the side of active devices 'dampen' and 'reduce' the performance as they pull down the top plate (reducing the 'action'). agree that cables that are light and loose add to resonance too so the taping can be effective. those are two separate issues to solve.

this definitely improved audible performance for me with the Tana/Herzan devices. assume the Seismion would react similarly.

IMG_1563.jpeg
IMG_1594.jpeg

Last edited:
I heard system that sounded grainy and harsh with too many active isolation. The problem is not caused by active isolation, or I can put it like this, resonance harmonics of the system covers the inherit harshness. When resonance harmonics is removed by active isolation, the sound seems dry. When the cause of graininess is corrected, the sound will be much better.
The ;) at the end was suppose convey the joke of having millet or other grain as a dampening material… and would that make it sound grainy.

The joke analogy here would be to use a humidifier in the room, so that the active isolation doesn’t make it sound too dry. ;)

Seriously though, If it does actually sound dry, then in my mind that is probably better. It is harder to get a system quiet, than to get it thick sounding.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu