Shunyata Triton/ Typhon

He may be using them on the Pass XA 100.5 temp amps. When he get's the XS300's back, I doubt he would plug them into anything other than the wall outlet. They are consuming close to 1100 watts each whenever they are turned on. I run a dedicated P5 for each monoblobk (XS150'). They consume 550 watts each. My current power cords are not long enough to try the outlet direct. Next week I get my 4 Nordost Odin power cords which are 2.5 meters each and the first thing I will do is plug them directly into the wall to see if they perform better than through the P5's.

Whether he can use the Triton's with his XS300 because of power ratings is not too interesting to me. Frank mentioned dramatic improvements with Triton conditioning on the XA 100.5, which have similar specs (power consumption / output) as my monoblocks.

He may be using them on the Pass XA 100.5 temp amps. When he get's the XS300's back, I doubt he would plug them into anything other than the wall outlet. They are consuming close to 1100 watts each whenever they are turned on. I run a dedicated P5 for each monoblobk (XS150'). They consume 550 watts each. My current power cords are not long enough to try the outlet direct. Next week I get my 4 Nordost Odin power cords which are 2.5 meters each and the first thing I will do is plug them directly into the wall to see if they perform better than through the P5's.

First, read this to understand the Typhon. http://shunyata.com/Content/products-PwrDist.Typhon.html

I originally plugged the XA100.5s into the Triton because that was the only way I could check out the Typhon with the amplifiers. I have a Triton/ Typhon stack as a power distributor for my front end. The Typhon is a slave. It does not contain a duplex. You can't plug anything into it. You can only connect the Typhon to a power distributor like the Triton or directly to the wall. Plugging high power amps into the Triton is not a long term solution but, that said, I found plugging the Xa100.5s into the Triton/Typhon combo to be eye opening. More and better everything!

I asked Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata about using their Cyclops unit which is recommended for high power amplifiers. He told me that was one option, another was using a Typhon plugged directly into the wall in parallel with the power amplifier. I explained my situation with the Xs300s and it's massive power draw and he said I would be better served using 1 Typhon for each amp and circuit. He wasn't selling by the way, only giving me information I was seeking. He mentioned this solution was only for the few in the "lunatic fringe" because of the excessive cost.

I've had the 2 Typhons plugged into the wall for 6 days now. XA100.5s into the other outlet in the duplex running parallel to the Typhon. I'm not going to offer hyperbole because I get tired of reading about this great thing or that great thing. I can say this, at least as far as the XA100.5s go, I would never, ever think about taking the Typhons out of my system.......ever! The improvements delivered are remarkable, across the board! If you haven't tried it then you won't understand it. I can't imagine the same results won't be there for the Xs300s but I'll have to wait another 10-14 days to find that out.

In total I have 1 Typhon connected to a Triton utilizing a dedicated 20A circuit. I'm using that combo for my front end. I also have 1 Typhon for each amplifier and both amps have their own 20A dedicated circuit.

The Triton/ Typhon as a power distributor for the front end is very good. I compared it to my long term reference, an Audience Adept Response aR6-TSS, which I considered excellent and the Triton/ Typhon easily bests it. The bar is really raised though when you add a Typhon in parallel to the amplifiers.........unlike any upgrade I have ever applied!

First, read this to understand the Typhon. http://shunyata.com/Content/products-PwrDist.Typhon.html

I originally plugged the XA100.5s into the Triton because that was the only way I could check out the Typhon with the amplifiers. I have a Triton/ Typhon stack as a power distributor for my front end. The Typhon is a slave. It does not contain a duplex. You can't plug anything into it. You can only connect the Typhon to a power distributor like the Triton or directly to the wall. Plugging high power amps into the Triton is not a long term solution but, that said, I found plugging the Xa100.5s into the Triton/Typhon combo to be eye opening. More and better everything!

I asked Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata about using their Cyclops unit which is recommended for high power amplifiers. He told me that was one option, another was using a Typhon plugged directly into the wall in parallel with the power amplifier. I explained my situation with the Xs300s and it's massive power draw and he said I would be better served using 1 Typhon for each amp and circuit. He wasn't selling by the way, only giving me information I was seeking. He mentioned this solution was only for the few in the "lunatic fringe" because of the excessive cost.

I've had the 2 Typhons plugged into the wall for 6 days now. XA100.5s into the other outlet in the duplex running parallel to the Typhon. I'm not going to offer hyperbole because I get tired of reading about this great thing or that great thing. I can say this, at least as far as the XA100.5s go, I would never, ever think about taking the Typhons out of my system.......ever! The improvements delivered are remarkable, across the board! If you haven't tried it then you won't understand it. I can't imagine the same results won't be there for the Xs300s but I'll have to wait another 10-14 days to find that out.

In total I have 1 Typhon connected to a Triton utilizing a dedicated 20A circuit. I'm using that combo for my front end. I also have 1 Typhon for each amplifier and both amps have their own 20A dedicated circuit.

The Triton/ Typhon as a power distributor for the front end is very good. I compared it to my long term reference, an Audience Adept Response aR6-TSS, which I considered excellent and the Triton/ Typhon easily bests it. The bar is really raised though when you add a Typhon in parallel to the amplifiers.........unlike any upgrade I have ever applied!

Got it. So two plugging the amps into the Triton/Typhon is not any better than adding a Typhon in parallel on the power circuit AND if you have $5K to burn (for each monoblock ....auch.... ) your best investment is to get a Thypon, not a Triton AND for front end most bang for the buck is one Triton, with some improvement adding a Thypon? Does this sum it up?

Got it. So two plugging the amps into the Triton/Typhon is not any better than adding a Typhon in parallel on the power circuit AND if you have $5K to burn (for each monoblock ....auch.... ) your best investment is to get a Thypon, not a Triton AND for front end most bang for the buck is one Triton, with some improvement adding a Thypon? Does this sum it up?

Sums it up pretty well except I think not using the Triton for amps is more related to current limiting.

Forget current - For me it would be more of a budget limit related decision.

Understood. It gets real expensive really fast! I figured it out last night, power cords, umbilicals, Triton and Typhons = $36k for power in my system.

If anything plugging amps into Triton/Typhon rather than using the Typon in parallel would be worse

What Frank says about the Typhon is so true.....you just wont do it any other way

I have been reserved about my units so far only because I have just over 100 hours and 200 is recommended. The burn in on the Typhon is longer

If anything, the past 2 days have not been as good sounding and I was warned about that by Grant. As a result I am just running my front end "on" through the Triton without signal. Hence my amps are off and I am not planning to listen until this weekend.

Frank also aptly points out cost. These units are not cheap when cabling etc are figured in. Essentially the cost of 2 Equi=tech units.

He also points out that the Typhon has a detachable umbilical that plugs into one of the outlets on the Triton. Nothing plugs into the Typhon except the umbilical

These units are quite heavy

Shunyata recommends using the same cable quality for the umbilical as the PC going from the Triton to the wall. I bought an Anaconda for both.

Of interest on the back of the Triton under the 8 AC outlets is a single outlet labeled "for Typhon". Yet in the instruction manual which comes with the Triton it recommends the Typhon only be plugged into that single outlet when all of the other 8 are filled. So to jfrech and Frank, is that the way you guys did it :confused:

If anything plugging amps into Triton/Typhon rather than using the Typon in parallel would be worse

What Frank says about the Typhon is so true.....you just wont do it any other way

I have been reserved about my units so far only because I have just over 100 hours and 200 is recommended. The burn in on the Typhon is longer

If anything, the past 2 days have not been as good sounding and I was warned about that by Grant. As a result I am just running my front end "on" through the Triton without signal. Hence my amps are off and I am not planning to listen until this weekend.

Frank also aptly points out cost. These units are not cheap when cabling etc are figured in. Essentially the cost of 2 Equi=tech units.

He also points out that the Typhon has a detachable umbilical that plugs into one of the outlets on the Triton. Nothing plugs into the Typhon except the umbilical

These units are quite heavy

Shunyata recommends using the same cable quality for the umbilical as the PC going from the Triton to the wall. I bought an Anaconda for both.

Of interest on the back of the Triton under the 8 AC outlets is a single outlet labeled "for Typhon". Yet in the instruction manual which comes with the Triton it recommends the Typhon only be plugged into that single outlet when all of the other 8 are filled. So to jfrech and Frank, is that the way you guys did it :confused:

Yes Steve, I plug into one of the unused outlets as that is the recommendation from Shunyata. The port on the Triton should only be used to connect the Typhon if all outlets on the Triton are being used.

Frank

I am betting that when you get the umbilicals for these 2 units the sound will be even better. Grant had told me that the umbilical must be a precise length for the Typhon to function properly

Agreed, I'm hoping to get a call tomorrow telling me they're in.

Hi Frank,

Yes, the umbilical is simply a 1 meter length of C-19 connected power cord. The reason for its importance is primarily the length. The Typhon does not "draw" any current of its own accord. This means that there is only a minimal electrical signal exchanged between it and the Triton or the wall; the longer power cord lengths will inhibit its effect (performance). That is also why the effect of the Typhon does not show up right away, but takes an hour or so after connection to appear. This makes the usual in-out trials harder to enact. Better to connect the Typhon and allow an hour to pass before listening. I'ts effect creeps in over time but once it shows up it is rather unequivocal.

We settled on 1 meter because that is the shortest length that can be made and still connect comfortably with the Triton when stacked or set directly side-by-side. The quality of the cord is important for the same (weak signal) reason and should match the AC cord you have going to the wall from the Triton. That's not to say the Typhon won't have 'an' effect when connected via a longer power cord, but there's no question that some of its performance will be lost in the longer length. This is also a reason that the Typhon's can take a week or so longer than a Triton to come into full-voice. There are approximately 24lbs of CDA 101 copper inside of a Typhon and that will extend the break in period. They should offer notable performance advantages within hours, but the performance does evolve over the period of a few weeks.

If you have some problem with delayed delivery, please e-mail or call us at the factory and we can follow up on your order.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

To get a pair of Typhons for the AC duplex of my amps will require some reorganization of my amps as the Typhon is one big heavy unit. Two up there.....well, you get the picture

My setup for the TYPHONS with my amps is not the most aesthetically pleasing because of the short distance required between placement of the unit and the outlet. I bought the spikes Shunyata offers and just kinda plopped the TYPHONS down under the outlets for now. One is actually hidden behind my HRS rack but easy access behind the rack is now a bit restricted.

My setup for the TYPHONS with my amps is not the most aesthetically pleasing because of the short distance required between placement of the unit and the outlet. I bought the spikes Shunyata offers and just kinda plopped the TYPHONS down under the outlets for now. One is actually hidden behind my HRS rack but easy access behind the rack is now a bit restricted.

That's what I plan as well which means you need an umbilical meant for stacking

Hi Frank,

Yes, the umbilical is simply a 1 meter length of C-19 connected power cord. The reason for its importance is primarily the length. The Typhon does not "draw" any current of its own accord. This means that there is only a minimal electrical signal exchanged between it and the Triton or the wall; the longer power cord lengths will inhibit its effect (performance). That is also why the effect of the Typhon does not show up right away, but takes an hour or so after connection to appear. This makes the usual in-out trials harder to enact. Better to connect the Typhon and allow an hour to pass before listening. I'ts effect creeps in over time but once it shows up it is rather unequivocal.

We settled on 1 meter because that is the shortest length that can be made and still connect comfortably with the Triton when stacked or set directly side-by-side. The quality of the cord is important for the same (weak signal) reason and should match the AC cord you have going to the wall from the Triton. That's not to say the Typhon won't have 'an' effect when connected via a longer power cord, but there's no question that some of its performance will be lost in the longer length. This is also a reason that the Typhon's can take a week or so longer than a Triton to come into full-voice. There are approximately 24lbs of CDA 101 copper inside of a Typhon and that will extend the break in period. They should offer notable performance advantages within hours, but the performance does evolve over the period of a few weeks.

If you have some problem with delayed delivery, please e-mail or call us at the factory and we can follow up on your order.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Thanks Grant! Any idea how long it will take for the short umbilicals to break in once they're connected from the Typhon to the wall?

That's what I plan as well which means you need an umbilical meant for stacking

I looked on a couple of dealer websites, I don't see where they have different umbilicals for stacking or placing side by side?? Who gave you that information? I don't see where you have a choice and the dealer (Music Direct) who I bought all my Shunyata from never mentioned different types of umbilicals for stacking or placing side by side.

I looked on a couple of dealer websites, I don't see where they have different umbilicals for stacking or placing side by side?? Who gave you that information? I don't see where you have a choice and the dealer (Music Direct) who I bought all my Shunyata from never mentioned different types of umbilicals for stacking or placing side by side.

Grant told me.

I think it is merely the way the cable flexes but otherwise is the same cable.

Caelin's post from elsewhere on the internet regarding the Typhon and amplifiers:

As Frank750 and others have found, the Typhon has a profound effect with amplifiers. The best performance is derived by running the amps direct to the wall with a Typhon connected to the second outlet. This maximizes performance but at a high cost. And yes, removing the Triton will improve performance but only if you add the Typhon to the circuit.

cg

Caelin Gabriel <br> President <br> Shunyata Research

Caelin's post from elsewhere on the internet regarding the Typhon and amplifiers:

As Frank750 and others have found, the Typhon has a profound effect with amplifiers. The best performance is derived by running the amps direct to the wall with a Typhon connected to the second outlet. This maximizes performance but at a high cost. And yes, removing the Triton will improve performance but only if you add the Typhon to the circuit.

cg

Caelin Gabriel <br> President <br> Shunyata Research

In the interest of cost effectiveness, I am actually toying with the idea of putting both my poweramps onto the same circuit and add a single python.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing