Sony WH1000XM2 MSRP $349.95

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
OK so I bought the QC35 MK ii arrived today. I still have the Sony's.

I have learnt quite a bit more about the Sony's, including how to equalise them for the better. And I am applying a lot of equalisation.

Was going to sell the pair I like least but my wife seems to want a pair. So we will keep both I suspect.

The video review I saw before I bought the Sony's.

Spent a couple of hours using the Bose. They are much more balanced than the Sony's without EQ.

However, with a mass of EQ using Sony's app, the Sony's can be made to behave in a.way that is reasonable.

I will post back in a week or two when I have both units

I did not want to go down this road. But I too thought of making a dual purchase. I passed on buying the Bose. For one I could listen all I wanted at the store. Two the Bose was just not something I was interested in owning. Now that you have piqued my interest I may take advantage of the stores generous 30 day return policy.
I am not sure what "more balanced" and /or "Sony's can be made to behave more reasonable." means. I feel perhaps you are fixating on frequency response. It is reminiscent to the tube/solid state debate.
I await your review.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think you buried the lead.
" was going to sell the pair I like least but my wife seems to want a pair. So we will keep both I suspect."
So, your wife likes the SONY so muxh she wants to keep it.

Reactions: Zero000

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
LOL.

I learnt a few things after spending about 3 hours with the Bose yesterday. It's not overwhelming positive to be frank. So don't rush out and buy a pair just yet!:)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would only buy the Bose for comparison purposes. My real dilemma is, whether to upgrade to the latest MK.3 SONY

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I would only buy the Bose for comparison purposes. My real dilemma is, whether to upgrade to the latest MK.3 SONY

Well I dunno about that but the wife just said 'How do I turn MY Bose on. Do you like the way I said that?'

She does like the Bose. Really. The ear cushions are softer and she prefers the sound on the Bose, but the noise cancelling is better on the Sony by miles.

Straight out of her mouth.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
LOL. How do I turn MY Bose on? Make it jealous of the SONY. I hope you are not the noise source.
Don't forget to try an aftermarket cable.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Zeskit 4feet premium Aux Audio Cable 3.5 mm Braided Nylon Audio Cable. $4.99. From amazon 20190223_092534.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
After approximately 13 months of use I feel as enamored of these headphones as the day I purchased them. Kudos to the saleswomen who steered me away from the Bose headphones of which I was in pursuit.
I see no real reason to upgrade to the newer version. Others might disagree. Especially the mobile user. They are lighter and more comfortable with longer battery life. Last time I checked the II is available at a discount. I have not had any reliability problems. Two small pieces of plastic fell off the headband. If you retain them you can glue them back on. They appear to be purely cosmetic. It's annoying but not essential.(I'll try to post some pictures.)
I I often use the headphones at bedtime. Many a night I have slept on top of them. No harm. You're welcome SONY for the free product testing.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Just picked up the Sony WH1000XM3 today and love them. They are on sale at Best Buy for $300.00. The noise cancellation is scary good. I just got done cleaning the carpet with a machine that is so loud I have to use ear plugs. A couple times I had to reach down and touch the machine to make sure it was on. They work very well for phone calls too.
SQ is very good, better than the Bose and way more comfortable for this melon head. The Bose fatigue me pretty quick (wife has them). The SQ will definitely get me through till I get a dedicated rig.
I have not tried listening yet plugged in.
These headphones represent a fantastic value.

Last edited:
Reactions: dalethorn

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
This also brought up the reality of safety when listening with the noise cancellation active. When I was cleaning the carpets I also had a house full of people not being very quiet and never heard a peep until I took them off and it damn near scared me how much noise was going on around me.
There is a lot of things one could miss while listening with that feature on.

Reactions: dalethorn

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
While these two headphones try to become more like twins, Bose has added a new addition to the family-the- 700 series. A visit to the Bose Outlet is planned.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
While these two headphones try to become more like twins, Bose has added a new addition to the family-the- 700 series. A visit to the Bose Outlet is planned.
Was very pleasantly suprised to see the Sonys out numbered the Bose on my flight yesterday. The noise cancellation was flawless, cut off everything, even the crying baby. This enabled me to concentrate on the utterly mind blowing guitar work of Steve Hackett on Genesis Seconds Out for an hour and a half.
Love these headphones in their element.

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am lad you enjoy them.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Months later and I find I alternate between the Bose and Sony quite happily but I use EQ with both and these settings are now fixed in stone for each pair.

Never did find a really good mobile phone equaliser.

Now there's the new Bose to complicate the issue even further.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I assume you tried the SONY virtual equalizer. I have downloaded the entire "preamp" to my smartphone.

I went to BestBuy to listen to the new Bose 700. It is beautiful and has a luxurious feel. Unfortunately the display is currently static. The Bose Outlet store is in walking distance. I'll try to audition it there.

You tube videos are available. It may be there is a compatibility problem with androids.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I made it to Bose Pitlet. Sound of 700 was about the same as QC 35.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I can wholeheartedly recommend the Bose 700.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I assume you tried the SONY virtual equalizer. I have downloaded the entire "preamp" to my smartphone.

I went to BestBuy to listen to the new Bose 700. It is beautiful and has a luxurious feel. Unfortunately the display is currently static. The Bose Outlet store is in walking distance. I'll try to audition it there.

You tube videos are available. It may be there is a compatibility problem with androids.

The only Sony equaliser in Android is the one in the Connect app as far as I am aware?

Did you buy the 700s?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As part of your purchase you received a virtual preamp. Download it. It contains an equalizer.

I did not purchase Bose700. I did audition it. It had me boogyiing in the ailses.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing