SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

kostas6a3

Mar 24, 2021
Maroussi Greece
I use between Melco S100 (first) and EtherREGEN (second), Phoenix Contact glass fiber and Finisar 1475 with excellent results in SQ.

Reactions: Blake

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
@rDin
Can you share the SFP’s and cable.
I've since moved on from that setup as well as changing SFPs. Cables were always cheapest I could get on Amazon! I see others using more expensive cables and will get around to that at some point, but for now the cheap cables work perfectly well while my system is still a work in progress. The test, for me, is always to compare my streaming setup to a local digital source - with the local source being the benchmark - if the streaming side cannot match/better the local source then there is still work to do. My current setup satisfies this test.

With the SoTM the changes I needed to make to get close were multiple 2 x SoTM, SFPs and powers supply upgrades (Farad3 in my case). Each of these elevated the sound towards that of the local source.

Anyway, to answer your question. With the SoTM I was using:
Ubiquiti UF-MM-1G
Tried various others recommended here at the time, but preferred the sound of these overall.

With my current setup (Senore OpticalModule->OpticalRendu) I'm using

FTLX1475D3BTL-C ATGBICS | Optoelectronics | DigiKey Marketplace

By far the best sounding so far, leaving the above SFP sounding rather sterile and artificial in retrospect.

It's amazing/frustrating how much difference these SFP can sound and that they can make or break a streaming setup.

It's doubly frustrating that the new SFP don't always work after a reboot and require some fiddling to "wake" them up again. Others have reported similar with other SFP models. Not entirely sure why, but the hassle is worth it for the sound quality, particularly if sources aren't rebooted often.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
With my current setup (Senore OpticalModule->OpticalRendu) I'm using

FTLX1475D3BTL-C ATGBICS | Optoelectronics | DigiKey Marketplace

By far the best sounding so far, leaving the above SFP sounding rather sterile and artificial in retrospect.

I was debating about this one and the SFP @orange55 referenced. The one you mentioned, it estimated shipping a year from now! It made my decision easy, so I'm going with the SFP @orange55 mentioned.

I'll post my thoughts once I get it in the system. In the meantime, I also inserted at SOTM iSO-CAT7 filter in between my two snh-10G switches.

Republicoftexas69

I was debating about this one and the SFP @orange55 referenced. The one you mentioned, it estimated shipping a year from now! It made my decision easy, so I'm going with the SFP @orange55 mentioned.

I'll post my thoughts once I get it in the system. In the meantime, I also inserted at SOTM iSO-CAT7 filter in between my two snh-10G switches.
In North America you can acquire through CDW

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Thanks, I searched around on the internet but didn't see the cdw option. Live and learn!

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
The one you mentioned, it estimated shipping a year from now!
Now 12 days, according to their website. But this highlights an issue with SFPs - the best sounding models can quickly go out of production - many of the best mentioned here on WBF are no longer available - leaving you to start your search all over again.

Republicoftexas69

Reactions: orange55

Republicoftexas69

Blake

Jun 28, 2018

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Hi Folks. I currently use 2 sotm switches (with SCLK board) connecting by Fibre.
May I ask if the ediscreation switch will better this combo ?
I am considering replacing both the sotm switches with a fibre box and ediscreation switch.
Any advice for me guys ?

Republicoftexas69

Hi Folks. I currently use 2 sotm switches (with SCLK board) connecting by Fibre.
I am considering replacing both the sotm switches with a fibre box and ediscreation switch.
Any advice for me guys ?
I will be installing a Zyxel Multi-Gig 12-Port Unmanaged Switch with 2-Port 2.5G and 2-Port 10G SFP+ Desktop/Wallmount, [XGS1010-12] Pulling out my Ethernet switch and 1 of the 10Gtek SFP's out of the chain. Not convinced one needs needs clocking on Ethernet so a simple switch with both Ethernet and SFP should be efficient.

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
Any advice for me guys ?
Although I do not have experience of the ediscreation switch. I did try a lot of different fibre box solutions with one SOTM switch and moving to two switches was a revelation.

I also have the SCLK board and running at 12v with the sps-500 power supply. I would be surprised if the step away from the dual SOtMs was an improvement.

Hope that helps

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I have been using two SOtM switches connected by fiberoptic for some time now. When I first experimented with this, the 10GTek SFP modules I bought from Amazon did not sound as good as the CAT 5 connection I had been using for awhile. Then I bought a random pair of $50 Finisar modules and there was a big uptick in SQ. I wonder if there is a universal recommendation for "good sounding" SFP modules or is it a system dependent thing?

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
I have been using two SOtM switches connected by fiberoptic for some time now. When I first experimented with this, the 10GTek SFP modules I bought from Amazon did not sound as good as the CAT 5 connection I had been using for awhile. Then I bought a random pair of $50 Finisar modules and there was a big uptick in SQ. I wonder if there is a universal recommendation for "good sounding" SFP modules or is it a system dependent thing?
I use this cable, it’s all in one and came highly recommended from Afterdark.

Afterdark website recommendations: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...work-switch-group-buy-for-audiophilestylecom/

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Kenc

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
thanks for the info. I will wallow through the whole thread in due time.

I prefer not to use a fixed terminated cable - the distance between the switches in different rooms is perhaps 15 meters and eventually, I will have someone pull the fiberoptic through the same conduit as the present ethernet so the needed length will be longer. If I have two SOtM switches and this distance, should I just look for the Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL? They are pretty pricey. Would you have any feedback on how much better this would sound than the much easier to source and cheaper CL version? thanks, Ken

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Is this the cable and assembly that Taiko will be providing with their switch? Just curious. I presume Taiko has evaluated whatever they are providing to assure it sounds excellent.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Hi
Also have a pair of these in route. Will be doing some experimenting.

@Republicoftexas69

Any sound impressions so far? I just installed my FCBG110SD1C03 an hour ago. Not sure if there is a break-in period involved?

I was about to also purchase the FTLX1475D3BTL-C from CDW so I could also do a comparison, but thought I'd hold off on my order for a little bit and see what you thought?

The After Dark link indicates these two SFP's are sonically the same (the BTL version, not sure how your BCL version compares sonically to the BTL version), but curious about your findings.

Last edited:

Republicoftexas69

Hi

@Republicoftexas69

Any sound impressions so far? I just installed my FCBG110SD1C03 an hour ago. Not sure if there is a break-in period involved?

I was about to also purchase the FTLX1475D3BTL-C from CDW so I could also do a comparison, but thought I'd hold off on my order for a little bit and see what you thought?

The After Dark link indicates these two SFP's are sonically the same (the BTL version, not sure how your BCL version compares sonically to the BTL version), but curious about your findings.
Blake.

Zero difference other than having a higher quality FO cable fixed to the transceivers.

Also Have one more test, I ordered SFP+ 10G FMC to see if this makes any marked improvement vs the 1G FMC These will arrive tomorrow and I will install them, let them run while I am traveling through the SW Next week on business.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Blake.

Zero difference other than having a higher quality FO cable fixed to the transceivers.

Also Have one more test, I ordered SFP+ 10G FMC to see if this makes any marked improvement vs the 1G FMC These will arrive tomorrow and I will install them, let them run while I am traveling through the SW Next week on business.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to your next experiment.

I am definitely liking what I'm hearing with fiber optic between my SOtM switches. I am powering the second switch with an Uptone LPS 1.2 (first switch is on the stock supply, which should be fine given the fiber connection between the two switches).

Unless the sound changes later on for the worse, fiber optic between the switches is an upgrade over using my Sablon ethernet cable between the switches.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to your next experiment.

I am definitely liking what I'm hearing with fiber optic between my SOtM switches. I am powering the second switch with an Uptone LPS 1.2 (first switch is on the stock supply, which should be fine given the fiber connection between the two switches).

Unless the sound changes later on for the worse, fiber optic between the switches is an upgrade over using my Sablon ethernet cable between the switches.
It’s worth noting that changing the power supply on the first switch does impact the sound quite a bit. Even something cheap like a iFi Power X is a step up from the stock power supply. Removes some hi frequency noise.
I have the sps500 SE with a Y cable to both of my switches and the really lifts the sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing