SOtM sNH-10G Switch : Mods & Tweaks!

vutranchitam

Aug 8, 2020
May i ask you how could you link 2 switchs together? Using SFP port isn’t it? And which cable are you using to link them up? Melco will go to your endpoint (streamer/dac)?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
May i ask you how could you link 2 switchs together? Using SFP port isn’t it? And which cable are you using to link them up? Melco will go to your endpoint (streamer/dac)?
Yes, the two switches linked by optical fiber with the Melco S100 downstream, going into the server.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
The cables are due to arrive today. Wooohoooo. keep you guys posted. I really hope I don't screw up the dismantling of my switches. LOL.

Reactions: Levitator

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Just arrived guys, not going to rush things. I will do it tomorrow morning. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_1468.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG
    510.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Guys,
I am afraid its a no go for me on this mod. The AS cable picks up RFI/EMI interference. I had static noise. I had to revert back to my soTm upgraded cables and now its dead quiet again. What an experience though.

Since i had opened it up I also went ahead and put some damping materials on the caps.

Attachments

• P8120535.JPG
    P8120535.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 196
  • P8120536.JPG
    P8120536.JPG
    587.5 KB · Views: 186
  • P8120538.JPG
    P8120538.JPG
    583.3 KB · Views: 191
  • P8120539.JPG
    P8120539.JPG
    591.4 KB · Views: 192

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Round 2 of the cables without any shielding now. Just installed both the cables and there is no static noise which is an excellent start. I suspect the cable could be Mundorf Silver/Gold 15.5awg hook up wires, but I cannot be sure, but if they are, then I am sure they are going to sound great as I use these cables as my DC cables and I love them.

They take a while to break in, but you will hear the potential as soon as they they are hooked up, after that its a bit of a roller coaster ride. At about 300hours they really start to shine, full break in is about 500hours I was told when Neon recommended them to me, so ya, you need patience with these cables.

A big shout out to Steven from AS for shipping these over under his cost and giving me a chance to hear his cables in action. Thanks Steven.

I will report back with some preliminary FR soon. Thanks for reading guys and stay safe ya all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Guys just a quick update. I swear this is a Mundorf Silver/Gold cable. It’s got that smooth creamy musicality tone coupled with a nice controlled bass. I must say, I think it’s on it’s good boy day cause they can and will go south every now and then till they stabilise. It’s a teaser day today by Mundorf. LOL

CK thank you for the recommendation. It’s a winner. I like it.......a lot.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Abyss Man - I’m a bit confused....are you saying that when you first tried the AS cables you didn’t like them (post #25, but after removing the shielding you did like them and heard a significant improvement? I just wouldn’t have thought that the shielding alone would turn things around that much...

I might be missing something but if you could clarify it would be great.

Thanks.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Hi Abyss Man,
I’m also having a bit of a logic crisis, when you say that the JSSG360 screened cable picks up RFI/EMI and the unscreened doesn’t? could it be that the screen wasn’t fully isolated?

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi guys,
No confusion please, life’s too short for that. Let me explain. The initial cables with the shielding were picking up RFI/EMI, thus causing static noise. I returned those, but Steven from AS by then already made another cable without the shielding. These unshielded cables were definitely thicker awg. If these thicker awg were to be shielded they would not fit for sure. Space is limited and I think the awg of the unshielded cable is the max u can install.

With the new unshielded cables fitted, it’s clean as a whistle, no EMI/RFI pick up and the SQ has taken a bump for the better. I would say it will open up even more and I’ve to be patient.

The other thing that I would like to add now is that my SR Orange fuse has arrived and I will be installing that in about 2days time in the Farad that feeds my switches, so........after that any changes in the SQ will be difficult to narrow down.

Sorry for the long explanation, but in essence, I find the new hook up wires are a nice addition and cost is minimal. The shipping is killer though. Hope things are clearer now. Wishing all a great weekend and happy listening.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Abyss Man,
I’m also having a bit of a logic crisis, when you say that the JSSG360 screened cable picks up RFI/EMI and the unscreened doesn’t? could it be that the screen wasn’t fully isolated?

I would think so sir, the location to install these cables is very space limited, if the shielding is installed without full isolation it could turn into an antenna for RFI pick up. There are a lot of caps and resistors arnd the area of installation. I feel the thicker awg unshielded cable is a much better option, sounds much better too.

If u do a proper shielding on the thicker awg, I don’t think they would fit. They are also very unwieldy due to their gauge and they are solid core.

The thinner awg shielded were not any better when it came to installation, they were a tight fit too due to the shielding and unwieldy too.

Personally I am not too bothered about the shielding now. If you are a DIY person, u could try this little mod. As I said, I suspect they are Mundorf Silver/ Gold 15.5 awg hook up wires.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Guys,
Just an update, the cable used is not the Mundorf Silver/Gold but one that is exclusively produced for AS according to their specification. Steven from AS confirmed this. As to a little glimpse as to what it is, it is made by the same factory that makes cables for Neotech and Harmonic Technology.

They have been in my system for 6 days and what they have done is give that extra bit of heft in the bass region and the mids are sounding sweet and a tad bit forward, but in a very good way. The only con is that they can sound congested in busy tracks, but I think they will smoothen out. I had also put in a new Tellurium Blue BNC into the setup a few days back and that could also be the reason as all my other BNC cables are either Tellurium Black/Silver Diamond. The Blue (entry level) is not exactly a recommended cable if your setup uses the Silver Line of cables. I am waiting on my Tellurium Silver BNC as my clocking cable from the TP to Gaia and the Blue is a stop gap measure.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Hey Abyss Man - how did the replacement cable relative to the silver upgrade version end up? What differences do you reckon the change made and was it worthwhile for you? Thanks!

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hey Abyss Man - how did the replacement cable relative to the silver upgrade version end up? What differences do you reckon the change made and was it worthwhile for you? Thanks!
In all honesty, I cannot say buddy but its still in my switches and will remain there. I like them a lot. They had brought a slight oomph in the bass region and the mids were smoother when I installed them. Now I cannot really tell anymore cause the Gaia is there and I don't know which is doing what but I love it.

Are yours upgraded too with the silver wiring?

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Yep I went the upgraded silver when I bought the switch - at times it does show signs of ‘silver’ and thought the copper might align things a bit more. So it seems the copper alternative CK recommended didn’t really work for you, but an alternative suggested by AS did the trick? Did Steven tell you what the composition of the alternative you went with was?

Thanks mate

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi,
Think you got confused, the one sent with the Jess shielding didn’t work out for me cause there was RFI pick up. Steven sent me one without the JSS shielding and it was ok, no RFI pick up.

As for the cable make check post #33. It’s still silver btw only thing it’s solid core and thicker awg.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Ok - I did read that post but sorry wasn’t clear whether it was a silver cable you installed or not...as long as you’re thoroughly enjoying the music, that’s the main thing!

Reactions: Abyss Man

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Hi,
Think you got confused, the one sent with the Jess shielding didn’t work out for me cause there was RFI pick up. Steven sent me one without the JSS shielding and it was ok, no RFI pick up.

As for the cable make check post #33. It’s still silver btw only thing it’s solid core and thicker awg.
Does anyone have an explanation of why a cable SPECIFICALLY designed to avoid RFI pick-up would perform far worse with regard to RFI compared to the same cable with no protection? The whole point of JSSG360 is enhanced screening to prevent the cable acting as an antenna, so what could have happened in this case where JSSG360 apparently injected noise into the cable?

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Does anyone have an explanation of why a cable SPECIFICALLY designed to avoid RFI pick-up would perform far worse with regard to RFI compared to the same cable with no protection? The whole point of JSSG360 is enhanced screening to prevent the cable acting as an antenna, so what could have happened in this case where JSSG360 apparently injected noise into the cable?
Hi Blackmorec,
If you look closely at the cable, the one with the shielding was open ended, meaning the ends were not insulated leaving the copper shield unprotected. I think this might have been the cause. In all fairness to Steven, he did tell me that this was the first time he had encountered this issue, and also because of the close quaters, it would be near impossible to fit the cable if the insulation gets thicker as is required for the JSS shielding to do its thing. There just is not enough space in there.
I am pretty happy with the new cable but its a good question and I hope I have shed some light.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing