SOtM sNH-10G Switch : Mods & Tweaks!

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Interesting thread guys. So, my network is up for some tweaks.

My room has:
Fibre optical input 400 Mbs into Fibre box > Movistar Router with Ethernet and Wifi > Ethernet cable > 432 EVO Music server.

Of course I first changed the power on the Router to 9V DC LPS. I am now looking at what next.

1. SOtM switch after the Router/Wifi and pace it ear my system, then Final Touch Audio Matis Ethernet 1.0m > 432 EVO Music server.
No Wifi devices near the system.

2. Power the SOtM with either the SOtM LPS or an sBooster LPS unit.

3. Upgrade the clock in the SOtM switch, and the interior cables as CKKeung detailed.

Thoughts on this? I need Wifi for laptop access for emails and Apple TV, phone wifi, so can't (at the moment) go all ethernet and kill the wifi router in the network.

I am thinking a typical router/wifi supplied by telecoms companies may inject noise into a network, so a way to negate that is key I would suggest.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Mod Number Two :

An optional sCLK-EX clock card can be added to the SOtM switch internally.
The clock card sits over the main switch circuit board and is connected to it by 2 slender clock cables.

View attachment 67774

However I guess most sNH-10G switch owners cannot resist the temption of adding a good external 10M clock to the switch.
:p

My favorite 10M audiophile clock is the Cybershaft made in Japan.
The built and effect are unquestionable.
The only pitfall is that all good audiophile 10M clocks are not cheap.

Edison, boss of N&E Audio in Hong Kong talked with my friends and I about his idea :
"The clock freq used by the switch board is 25M, not 10M. If the switch is given a 10M clock signal, it has to be converted to 25M, involving additional circuitry.

Also using an external 10M clock also means additional sockets, plugs, cable & soldering. All of these are detrimental to jitter/sound.
"

Edison's solution is to add a 25M clock board inside the SOtM switch, much nearer to the switch circuit board than any other external audiophile clocks.

It's neat & tidy!
View attachment 67773

The ocxo module on Edison's clock card is from the famous Connor Winfield (http://www.conwin.com/oscillators-ocxo.html).
Although it may not be as good as those used in Cybershaft or Mutec, his direct approach does have many advantages.

Due to the COVID-19 semi-lockdown in HK, I am unable to do a direct comparison of Edison-modded-SOtM against SOtM+Cybershaft but Edison's mod gives very good sonic improvement typical of good clocking, and at a very very affordable price.
:cool:

If any WBF brothers have interest, you may communicate with Edison directly at :
https://nandeaudio.com/contact/
;)
Maybe will be better Edison own switch...

64FE179F-500E-4A20-AA11-8D3740A2B3EB.jpeg 9DA9FD85-D3EB-4419-AE07-EE32AF00354B.jpeg 6BEEE58F-A21B-43CC-A579-1449354EB511.jpeg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
More and more hifi/CAS brands understand the importance of a good switch in network CAS.
A lot of new products in 2020.
Not all are as expensive as the Ansuz/Melco/SOtM/M12 Gold.
Right now there are many good mid-level choices for CAS audiophiles.
:)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: Abyss Man

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
i did a quick few searches and didn't find a thread on the Edison...have you started one and I missed it?

Here it is :

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Anyone tried the Edison clock mod yet? I’m nearby and thinking of doing this. Thx

FDPDK

May 15, 2021
Denmark
Hello , my first post here in this forum , have been reading on for some time and find it to be very good.
Well i would be interested to hear if the Edison switch could be made with SFP output ?? asking as i am thinking of trying it out on my newly acquired Lumin X1 , so far i think i will try the Sotm switch as it has the SFP build in and if i dont like it its still a switch i can use.

schiff1108

Oct 17, 2021
View attachment 70398

IMHO an audiophile switch is a mandatory components for all CAS audiophiles.
My favourite audiophile switches in the current market are SOtM sNH-10G, Melco S-100 and Telegartner M12 Gold.
I shared my views on them on various WBF threads before.
They possess diff sonic characters and if used in a dual-switch config, the mix&match of their sonics can make all CAS audiophiles happy.

Amongst the three of them, I like the SOtM very much but some friends of mine think that it's a bit lean in the midrange and the bass is a bit light.

Therefore let me share with you two mods/tweaks for remedy.

Mod/Tweak One :

When ordering the SOtM sNH-10G, buyers may select 7N UPOCC copper or silver stranded internal wires as an option.

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/shop/snh-10g/

Here are photos showing that these wires are just plug&play.

View attachment 67762
View attachment 67763

Audio Sensibility makes a much better internal wire for the SOtM switch.
https://audiosensibility.com/blog/

View attachment 67764
View attachment 67765

So what's the replacement result?
Improved musicality, richness & bass!

Easy and completely reversible.
Inexpensive.
This is a must-try for every SOtM switch owners!
:cool:

I will post Mod Two very soon.
Pls stay tuned.
;)

Hello. I do have this switch for a good year using a MUTEC REF10 as an external clock. Yes. I am very happy with this switch and do not want to miss in my chain. Well, I have bought the standard cable and have overseen the option for cable upgrades. Before I move on to order new cables I would like to know what the purpose of this cables is. Why are there anyhow cables used?
Can anybody explain this to me? Thanks

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
So I finally decided to try out the audio sensibility cable to replace the one inside the sotm switch.
I should get it soon. Will keep you guys posted

Reactions: onsionsi

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Audiosensibility Dc cable update 1
so I got two cables for my two sotm switches. Manage to change the cable in one. Unfortunately the torque x screw in the second switch seem to be stuck. I will try again tonight.

anyways it’s only been like 12 hours since the cable change (for the first switch ) and I can already hear similarities to what others have reported back.
It’s definitely positive. I will hold from giving proper feedback on sound untill a week passes.

Reactions: petzzz

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Audiosensibility Dc cable update 2
It’s been a couple of weeks since I changed the cable in both switches. I believe this is worth the asking price of around 200€. The improvements are not night and day but it’s definitely noticeable and will add enjoyment to your listening session
Improvements heard
Music is a bit more fleshed out.
Better bass definition and volume
More resolution.
I am considering next adding a Pinkfaun ultra clock board inside the switch as my next upgrade. Will keep you guys posted :)

Reactions: CKKeung and petzzz

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
could someone who has done the Pinkfaun clock mod inside the sotm switch please give their feedback ? :)

ducatirider916

Jan 5, 2022
First port. I managed to get it apart and swapped the cable and added damping on the caps as well. But that darn ribbon cable. My lights aren't working. Maybe I'll take off the front and try again in a few days. The sound is definitely much rounder and 3D now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darmstadtium

ducatirider916

Jan 5, 2022
can someone please post a picture of how the ribbon cable is connected to the face plate circuit board? is it folded?

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
First port. I managed to get it apart and swapped the cable and added damping on the caps as well. But that darn ribbon cable. My lights aren't working. Maybe I'll take off the front and try again in a few days. The sound is definitely much rounder and 3D now.
The same happened to one of my switch. I tried fixing but couldn’t. Just left it at that.

Reactions: ducatirider916

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
can someone please post a picture of how the ribbon cable is connected to the face plate circuit board? is it folded?
I saw someone post the same question on Facebook sotm group about this ? If that was indeed you , I am glad to see you got sorted.

So I decided to finally upgrade the power supply to my sotm switch. Using a single SPS500 with a Y cable from sotm. weird thing is sound severely deteriorated if the sps500 is close to the switch. And gets better if it’s away. I can’t understand why.
anyways after much research , I ordered a dual rail Plixir Elite BDC , should be here next month (pandemic !) I am going to buy audio sensibility dc cable s for the same. Will keep you guys posted about the out come
The Pinkfaun clock upgrade plan inside the switch has been parked for now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing