Speaker Hunt

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Howiebrou,

I think you should spend two days in NYC. Visit Audio Arts, OMA, Rhapsody and there might be some other interesting set ups over at Andys' (SBS) as well as Innovative and Lyric. A good two day trip and you would get to hear many different speakers on your list.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For opera one of the best if not the best I heard was the Montagna (http://zero-distortion.org/milan-part-ii/) owned by @gian60 and his friend Pietro (http://zero-distortion.org/yamamura-horns/)

For opera, a lot of separation is required for the choral, apart from requiring to produce great solo vocals. And also macro dynamics.

These speakers are a bit like stats, high resolution, open create a great soundstage, and extremely fast. The separation is very high for choral. They run best with a SS amp though you can use your m1000 for pre and phono.

However these will be high risk for you to import from Milan without an used market in the US.

DevAAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2018
Hello,

You have a great list of speakers there! I am a Wilson Benesch dealer and having heard many different speakers I think this could be a great choice for you. I am also a fan of Wilson Audio (having owned 3 pairs in the past). For that room size the Eminence would definitely be in the running. Sonus Faber is known for it's warmer musical appeal. I feel Wilson Benesch keeps that musicality but has more transparency and holographic sound stage with layering and wrap around effect. The bass is also well controlled and the isobaric drive technology allows for a very appealing aesthetic with narrow design. I display the Resolutions in my reference space and every customer that has experienced them has been blown away by the combination of detail, musicality, and ease in which the system portrays the music. It's a very emotional experience. My distributor in Colorado will have the Eminence on display very soon. Let me know if I can help. I would be happy to have you visit Kansas City for a private audition of the Resolutions anytime.

Good luck on your journey!
-Deva

DSC_1383 (2).jpg

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
+1 Might also have a listen to Diesis while at Rhapsody. No shortage of good options on your original list. Could also check out the Oswald Mill range at OMA.

Afraid I'm not too familiar with these but just had a look at the website. Wow. They look like a bat mated with a speaker. Actually they look pretty funky. Not sure about WAF. My avantgarde Primos lasted all of one week and had to go....

Reactions: the sound of Tao

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Out of everything on that original list, I'm most interested the Stenheim Reference and least interested in the {Magicos, JBLs, Tannoys}. I haven't heard the Stenheim Reference Ultime yet, but the reports on the Alumine models from close friends whose preferences I know are very positive. They received a couple personal best in show nods, along with the Thrax speaker room at THE Show last week. On paper, the Stenheim Reference is very impressive. Sealed cabinet with the active version being 96dB (!) with a FR of 15 Hz - 100 kHz ! Woo. Must hear!

With Marten, I worry about the driver integration using the 1st order crossovers in the Mingus Orchestra. I don't know why, but it just doesn't seem to work as well as their 2nd order crossovers by all accounts (including mine). That said, I own Marten and am a fan of certain models.

Lastly, why not consider the new YG models? I also agree that Zellaton ought to be on the list. And since it sounds like you have the space, why not one of the open baffle designs that were so well received at Munich. I can't recall the name now. But if I had your space, I'd definitely looking at some OBs.

Horns, I'm not usually a fan, except for in PA applications. EDIT: Looks like Diesis is what I was thinking of above, and has been mentioned. But horns. ;-)

The Stenheims were pretty good but i would need to hear them again at length most likely in situ at home. I haven't heard the Mingus Orchestra. All i can go on is my previous Coltrane IIs but these seem quite different.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
For opera one of the best if not the best I heard was the Montagna (http://zero-distortion.org/milan-part-ii/) owned by @gian60 and his friend Pietro (http://zero-distortion.org/yamamura-horns/)

For opera, a lot of separation is required for the choral, apart from requiring to produce great solo vocals. And also macro dynamics.

These speakers are a bit like stats, high resolution, open create a great soundstage, and extremely fast. The separation is very high for choral. They run best with a SS amp though you can use your m1000 for pre and phono.

However these will be high risk for you to import from Milan without an used market in the US.

They look amazing but you're right about the used market which needs to be considered.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hello,

You have a great list of speakers there! I am a Wilson Benesch dealer and having heard many different speakers I think this could be a great choice for you. I am also a fan of Wilson Audio (having owned 3 pairs in the past). For that room size the Eminence would definitely be in the running. Sonus Faber is known for it's warmer musical appeal. I feel Wilson Benesch keeps that musicality but has more transparency and holographic sound stage with layering and wrap around effect. The bass is also well controlled and the isobaric drive technology allows for a very appealing aesthetic with narrow design. I display the Resolutions in my reference space and every customer that has experienced them has been blown away by the combination of detail, musicality, and ease in which the system portrays the music. It's a very emotional experience. My distributor in Colorado will have the Eminence on display very soon. Let me know if I can help. I would be happy to have you visit Kansas City for a private audition of the Resolutions anytime.

Good luck on your journey!
-Deva

View attachment 54062
The Wilson Benesch's intrigue me a lot. I don't know anyone with a pair of Resolutions/ Cardinals / Eminence but many dealers who don't carry them have told there are problems in getting the best out of them. Naturally i keep an open mind and I have heard them sing very nicely at a few shows. Their engineering prowess has always impressed. Looking forward to their new TT too!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Afraid I'm not too familiar with these but just had a look at the website. Wow. They look like a bat mated with a speaker. Actually they look pretty funky. Not sure about WAF. My avantgarde Primos lasted all of one week and had to go....
Beautiful space Howie... yes the OMAs might not be the best fit for here, though the Diesis would look perhaps more at home. Looking forward to seeing which way you go.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: Bodhi

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This is a dream room. Your wife has great taste. :p
I envy you.

Kind regards,
Tang

The unevenness of the side wall situation is less than ideal, frankly.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The bass is also well controlled and the isobaric drive technology allows for a very appealing aesthetic with narrow design.

A narrow design is also a definite plus for soundstage. The speakers will more easily disappear from it. A sound that is "glued to" the speakers is always problematic for me, one of the reasons why I love my monitor/sub combo -- simply superb soundstage, without a hint as to where the speakers are located.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Howie

i have Marten Coltrane 3's. I originally had them with smaller Vitus mono blocks, then went to Absolare Sets and now have Audia Flight mono blocks.

i don't think you kondo's will adequately drive them - they will sound fine but not really alive until they have a HEAP of power. (the Audia Flight are very powerful)

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie

i have Marten Coltrane 3's. I originally had them with smaller Vitus mono blocks, then went to Absolare Sets and now have Audia Flight mono blocks.

i don't think you kondo's will adequately drive them - they will sound fine but not really alive until they have a HEAP of power. (the Audia Flight are very powerful)

You are probably right. I have been contemplating changing to to solid state monoblocks but i can't do both at the same time. To be honest it would probably make more sense to change the amps first but those Kagura's keep singing to me...

May be I should add another pair of Kagura's???!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you. The hunt is almost as much fun as the kill imo (and no, i don't do that kind of hunting...)

The hunt is the fun part. We all know the answer to a thorough search ;)

Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
A narrow design is also a definite plus for soundstage. The speakers will more easily disappear from it. A sound that is "glued to" the speakers is always problematic for me, one of the reasons why I love my monitor/sub combo -- simply superb soundstage, without a hint as to where the speakers are located.

The Aidas disappear completely in this space which is how I like them. Luckily the room has not a lot of reverb, most likely due to all the sofas and carpets and books.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing