Speaker Hunt

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie,

If you can, do try a pair of Audio Research REF160M on your Aidas. They can be run in triode mode, but some extra sweetness. And you can then see how the Aidas do with a little more power, before replacing them altogether :)

cheers,
Alex

I have heard them driven by Mcintosh 2301 300 watt monoblocks at length. I have to say it was horrible for some reason. I almost didn’t buy the Aidas because of that demo but luckily I heard them in another system. The new AR look great.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I haven’t seem them but they look positively leviathan compared to my SF. I’ll need to investigate though, thanks.
168 cm (H) x 56 cm (W) x 82 cm (D)
If the end game is the best possible then come take a listen. I can't change the size or the looks :)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Oh howie, c'mon, don't insult the REF 160M by comparing it to a Mac :)

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
If you want explosive dynamic sound with 50 watts, then jBL DD 67000 is a strong candidate.

I recommend you to audition it by bring your amplifier to the shop.

I had almost bought it 12 years ago but with small room at that time, I chose Lansche 4.1.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I can’t argue with that. The Avantgarde Primos really sparkled with my Audio Note UK Ongaku. Alas God spoke and they had to go...

The way that I approach speakers/amps is to find the speaker that you love and works in your room. Second step, amplifiy it properly.

If your speakers are aesthetically pleasing to you and "God" then it's a LOT easier to change out amps to drive the speakers appropriately. Don't you think?

Unless you just want something different.....

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
The way that I approach speakers/amps is to find the speaker that you love and works in your room. Second step, amplifiy it properly.

If your speakers are aesthetically pleasing to you and "God" then it's a LOT easier to change out amps to drive the speakers appropriately. Don't you think?

That's my approach also; build your system around your speakers.

Reactions: Rhapsody

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
If you want explosive dynamic sound with 50 watts, then jBL DD 67000 is a strong candidate.

I recommend you to audition it by bring your amplifier to the shop.

I had almost bought it 12 years ago but with small room at that time, I chose Lansche 4.1.
It's still a contender. I have not heard a DD67000 demo I didn't enjoy.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

Your logic is hard to fault. Right now I fancy a change in speakers having used the Aidas for several years. That might mean a temporary mismatch with amps nice changing both simultaneously might be difficult to budget for. I agree amps are much easier to change.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
That’s not too big. May be i was thinking of another model??
the Divin Majestic is probably what you were thinking of that is significantly bigger. My room is 10 foot ceilings, 16 wide and 23.3 feet long.
They can play anything from small intimate vocals to kick-ass rock and roll.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Your logic is hard to fault. Right now I fancy a change in speakers having used the Aidas for several years. That might mean a temporary mismatch with amps nice changing both simultaneously might be difficult to budget for. I agree amps are much easier to change.

Understood, I didn't understand the part about just wanting a change, you probably said it somewhere here in the thread. Then yes, find the new speaker that you love and then amplify it appropriately. The Kagura will drive a LOT of speakers so the mismatch would not be so bad until you were able to get the amp(s) that were the right fit for whatever speaker you finally decide on.

Who knows you might tilt towards a higher efficiency speaker and then the Kagura would be a VERY good match.

Good luck with it all!!!

Reactions: howiebrou

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

what are your top criteria for speakers? that might make it easier for recommendations.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Afraid I'm not too familiar with these but just had a look at the website. Wow. They look like a bat mated with a speaker. Actually they look pretty funky. Not sure about WAF. My avantgarde Primos lasted all of one week and had to go....
I didn't think the Diesis looked promising from the specs and optics.
This was until I heard them in Munich :oops::oops:
Wow, they caught my attention big time :eek:
Such a sound from so tiny speakers :cool:

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
musicista-1280x720-2.jpg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: bonzo75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I just saw the pictures of your listening space. Very Nice! I have Installed a pair of Resolutions and also a pair of Endeavors this year. Based on your space I think the Resolutions would look amazing! I have attached some pics from a recent install in a narrow listening space with a large room behind it. They worked very well in this space. Even the bass was quite well controlled without corner treatments. I personally feel like Wilson Benesch speakers are quite easy to place and I have had a lot of luck getting great sound even with modest electronics. The customer in this picture is running the Resolutions with a $7000 Electrocompaniet AW250R stereo amplifier and Bryston Pre-amp. You would think his front end cost much more than it does if you heard his system. Eminence is another animal from what I have heard about them. The retail price on Eminence is $235,000. The retail price on Resolution is $69,500. (Standard Finishes). Feel free to PM me if you want to start a dialogue and get more info!

-Thanks,
Deva

View attachment 54083
View attachment 54084
Why not headphones in such a small room :eek:

DevAAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2018
Why not headphones in such a small room :eek:

LOL... I know right? What you don't see in the pics is the fact that this is one side of the basement. There is no wall behind the listener and it opens into a much larger basement space. The bass energy has plenty of space to dissipate and there is very little reverberation. He really wanted them and I think we were both very excited at how good they sounded after the install. The knowledge gained after actual installs in what may seem like otherwise challenging spaces is worth it's weight in gold. The imaging and sound stage was remarkably good.

Like others have mentioned here I agree that it makes good sense to go speakers first and then change around electronics and other components. I also understand the desire to try something new. I think many of the speakers mentioned in this thread sound very good. Enjoy the discovery period. Shopping for new speakers is a lot of fun!

Cheers,
-Deva

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
what are your top criteria for speakers? that might make it easier for recommendations.

May be it would be easier to mention what I don't particular go for which is an over-analytical sound, which can become tiresome after a while. Of course there are other considerations such as looks, used value, waf etc. A speaker with emotional impact is more important than accurate rendition, this is after all about music and enjoyment rather than accurate sound reproduction if that makes sense. Horns actually fit the bill pretty well but the big Avantgardes, Cessaros and Acapellas are probably a no-go. The Diesis actually could work look and size wise but moving on from them would prove to be pretty difficult as they are very much a niche speaker.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thanks, Howie. From your list I'd consider the Gamut to reflect your desires and musical taste. They are tube friendly, though not sure your Kondos are ideal. Some consider Gamut the Danish SF.

I am hearing the Stenheim Five this weekend, so can't comment on that one yet - though it's not supposed to be analytical.

Reactions: bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing