Speaker Hunt

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Aidas disappear completely in this space which is how I like them. Luckily the room has not a lot of reverb, most likely due to all the sofas and carpets and books.

Congratulations on your great room. Yes, the Aida's manage to disappear completely in a room - probably due to the curved design and inert double shell, but they need power. I loved them , but went through the same process of change you are considering just because I did not want to embark in the high power paradigm. It was an expensive move, only the XLF's managed to replace them :), and although sounding better they do not look so nice. If I had got the VTL Siegfrieds at that time perhaps I would still own the Aida's today. Is heat a concern in your room?

BTW, Wilson's in Topaz finish will also look great in your room!

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Exactly what I was thinking - the OMA speakers are beautiful objects and apparently sound very good according to Ked (well a specific model). Should work well with the Kondo.
As should the Diesis Audio Roma Triode :cool:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Congratulations on your great room. Yes, the Aida's manage to disappear completely in a room - probably due to the curved design and inert double shell, but they need power. I loved them , but went through the same process of change you are considering just because I did not want to embark in the high power paradigm. It was an expensive move, only the XLF's managed to replace them :), and although sounding better they do not look so nice. If I had got the VTL Siegfrieds at that time perhaps I would still own the Aida's today. Is heat a concern in your room?

Thanks. I will need to go try and listen to some XLFs. Heat can be an issue but i have 5 sets of air conditioners in the room to counter that! Your Siegfrieds must generate a lot more than 2 pairs of 211s!

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

Actually i have been told that if i change the amps to some powerhouses, they would transform the Aidas. The cost would actually be about the same for changing amps vs speakers. Things to ponder....

Reactions: Al M.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Actually i have been told that if i change the amps to some powerhouses, they would transform the Aidas. The cost would actually be about the same for changing amps vs speakers. Things to ponder....
Fwiw, the owner of Audioafficianado, Ivan, has tri-amped the Aidas with 3 Burmester 911mk3s and as far as I know it continues to be his reference rig!

Reactions: bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks. I will need to go try and listen to some XLFs. Heat can be an issue but i have 5 sets of air conditioners in the room to counter that! Your Siegfrieds must generate a lot more than 2 pairs of 211s!

The big issue for the Kagura's is the Aida's impedance. Although the reported nominal value is not extreme, once we switch the back units on and fiddle with the controls it goes really low. They need current.

Each Siegfried dissipates as much as your two Kagura's - but they are great amplifiers - currently my preferred in the XLF's. Wilson Audio is replacing the XLF soon - used ones are now a real bargain.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fwiw, the owner of Audioafficianado, Ivan, has tri-amped the Aidas with 3 Burmester 911mk3s and as far as I know it continues to be his reference rig!

Another user is using three pairs of Devialet's on them and loves the system!

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The big issue for the Kagura's is the Aida's impedance. Although the reported nominal value is not extreme, once we switch the back units on and fiddle with the controls it goes really low. They need current.

Each Siegfried dissipates as much as your two Kagura's - but they are great amplifiers - currently my preferred in the XLF's. Wilson Audio is replacing the XLF soon - used ones are now a real bargain.

I never learn from past mistakes. Having toned through 2 Ongakus and faced similar issues! There is just something beguiling and bewitching about Kondo SETs! May be i need 3 pairs of Kaguras!

Reactions: christoph

DevAAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2018
The Wilson Benesch's intrigue me a lot. I don't know anyone with a pair of Resolutions/ Cardinals / Eminence but many dealers who don't carry them have told there are problems in getting the best out of them. Naturally i keep an open mind and I have heard them sing very nicely at a few shows. Their engineering prowess has always impressed. Looking forward to their new TT too!

I just saw the pictures of your listening space. Very Nice! I have Installed a pair of Resolutions and also a pair of Endeavors this year. Based on your space I think the Resolutions would look amazing! I have attached some pics from a recent install in a narrow listening space with a large room behind it. They worked very well in this space. Even the bass was quite well controlled without corner treatments. I personally feel like Wilson Benesch speakers are quite easy to place and I have had a lot of luck getting great sound even with modest electronics. The customer in this picture is running the Resolutions with a $7000 Electrocompaniet AW250R stereo amplifier and Bryston Pre-amp. You would think his front end cost much more than it does if you heard his system. Eminence is another animal from what I have heard about them. The retail price on Eminence is $235,000. The retail price on Resolution is $69,500. (Standard Finishes). Feel free to PM me if you want to start a dialogue and get more info!

-Thanks,
Deva

IMG_0824.jpg
IMG_0825.jpg

Reactions: howiebrou

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I never learn from past mistakes. Having toned through 2 Ongakus and faced similar issues! There is just something beguiling and bewitching about Kondo SETs! May be i need 3 pairs of Kaguras!

I personally do not believe with the Kaguras, Ongaku or pretty much ANY SETs that you will hear their true beauty and what they are capable of unless you are using them to drive high efficiency speakers. They work of course with regular speaker loads around 90dbish, especially the Kaguras, but put the on 100db efficient speakers and then they show their true SET magic.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I personally do not believe with the Kaguras, Ongaku or pretty much ANY SETs that you will hear their true beauty and what they are capable of unless you are using them to drive high efficiency speakers. They work of course with regular speaker loads around 90dbish, especially the Kaguras, but put the on 100db efficient speakers and then they show their true SET magic.

You saved me a reply :)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The Stenheims were pretty good but i would need to hear them again at length most likely in situ at home. I haven't heard the Mingus Orchestra. All i can go on is my previous Coltrane IIs but these seem quite different.
Now that we see your room, and if aesthetics are important, I no longer like Stenheims for you. They are very unelegant. As for the Martens, the Coltrane 2 I believe used their second order crossover design with the 3 and the Mingus being first order. They're going to sound different. The Mingus also has rear firing passive radiators, vs the bottom (as I recall) ports on the Coltrane. In your room, I'm not sure I'd want anything rear firing although I do see passive radiators as an advantage in general vs ports. Tough call. I think that space limits your options (as does my own), and that you do have to be attentive to it. If you can get these in-home, then you'll obviously know for sure.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I don't know your budget or where you live however I have the Gobel Divin Noblesse in my sound room which looks to be abou the same size as yours and they sound incredible. They are 95 db efficient and work with tubes and Solid state. if you are going to be in the Fort Lauderdale area I invite to come take a listen. I don't think you would be disappointed and I do believe they are worth the trip.

Reactions: GMKF

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I have attached some pics from a recent install in a narrow listening space with a large room behind it. They worked very well in this space. Even the bass was quite well controlled without corner treatments.
I will have to take your word for this but, judging only from the picture and from many experiences with niche installations, I would expect it to sound horrible and be irreparable.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

I can’t argue with that. The Avantgarde Primos really sparkled with my Audio Note UK Ongaku. Alas God spoke and they had to go...

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Now that we see your room, and if aesthetics are important, I no longer like Stenheims for you. They are very unelegant. As for the Martens, the Coltrane 2 I believe used their second order crossover design with the 3 and the Mingus being first order. They're going to sound different. The Mingus also has rear firing passive radiators, vs the bottom (as I recall) ports on the Coltrane. In your room, I'm not sure I'd want anything rear firing although I do see passive radiators as an advantage in general vs ports. Tough call. I think that space limits your options (as does my own), and that you do have to be attentive to it. If you can get these in-home, then you'll obviously know for sure.

It’s funny. The Stenheims are a really old school looking speaker almost like a school locker but for some reason their looks don’t put me off entirely. Of course they are not Aida looking but then hardly anything is! I just showed my wife pictures of about 10 choices. All were turned down except the Aidas! It’s gonna be a tough journey...

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I don't know your budget or where you live however I have the Gobel Divin Noblesse in my sound room which looks to be abou the same size as yours and they sound incredible. They are 95 db efficient and work with tubes and Solid state. if you are going to be in the Fort Lauderdale area I invite to come take a listen. I don't think you would be disappointed and I do believe they are worth the trip.

I haven’t seem them but they look positively leviathan compared to my SF. I’ll need to investigate though, thanks.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Howie,

If you can, do try a pair of Audio Research REF160M on your Aidas. They can be run in triode mode, but some extra sweetness. And you can then see how the Aidas do with a little more power, before replacing them altogether :)

cheers,
Alex

Reactions: KeithR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing