State of the industry - Roy Gregory Editorial

Exactly. Especially since music videos of performers, which are often professionally made, have so much better sound than the typical crappy iPhone videos of systems. It's simply no comparison. Like comparing a Ferrari with a little $ 10K car. Ridiculous.

Interesting side note. In building our YouTube channel, we discovered from experts with large followings that production quality really doesn't matter (which is good news for Jay ;)). It's more about stories and consistency.

Reactions: Pokey77 and PeterA
I think the idea of influencing someone with a video of my music system is nonsense. Why would someone watch my video vs. a music video of the performers? Only somebody who’s already an audio geek...
Exactly. How does watching/listening to a high-end system via MP3 sound through earbuds persuade someone that that high-end system sounds better than streaming MP3 music through earbuds??

An influencer brings brand awareness and excitement. Branding is huge in our world and whether we think its important or not the reality is it does influence many. The audio Industry particularly the high end has very little brand recognition. We did this over 25 years ago . We took exit surveys at high end restaurants and stores around NYC, We asked people leaving these HE places to name the best audio products. The names they said were Sony or Bose. There were almost no references to any of the brands we sold at Lyric back then. The mention of a brand by an influencer does not mean they tell what to buy only that this "...." exists and maybe you should check it out. For me this is how I got into watches, not that I ran out and bought the first thing I was exposed to but it started my desire and interest. There are serious reasons companies hire Lebron, Serena. Tiger, Snoop Dog etc. I know this offends many but people aspire to be like others especially the famous.
I am often asked at the Golf Course or when I play in Poker tournaments what I do. I tell them and show them pictures and it is as if I was showing them pictures of another galaxy. The at first say is that for commercial or concerts? The awareness of the brands of the high end is miniscule.
Loving music is certainly important but it does not directly coincide with owning an audio system and certainly not a high end one. These people are totally aware of luxury and performance brands but not audio, WHY?
We miss the big picture. That picture is these are luxury items and unlike the watch or car business where people aspire to own and which gives them some status audio sadly does not do this.
It is this exposure that would make the Industry grow. Growth is good since it brings new discoveries, it brings scale which is a huge problem in the pricing of goods, it brings excitement and it makes it less intimidating.
I realize that most audiophiles could care less about this since it will have virtually no effect on their lives but as someone in the industry for 50 years it would be great for the future. I believe we need more music, more listeners, more learning how to listen, more passion, and less of the other things that dominate the young like violence, violence on TV , in the movies, in gaming. To me those are boring and lack excitement but to the minions that is what sells. The music business has and is moving away from the music to producing events and shows. I don't want to see 50 dancers and special effects, I want to listen to the music. If the music dies god help us.
Audio has always transported me. Taken me away from my stress and my reality and changed my mood and outlook. Video entertains me but doesn't do those things. I want more to experience in our incredibly stressful world the effect of "the time machine" that an audio system is and can be.
It is that message that has been lost IMO.

How far would a modern JBL Paragon or nice wood corner horn in a living room go to create a "this is cool" vibe at a dinner/cocktail party? People still have those, right? The industry has gone from enjoying music with others as a lifestyle to personal man cave, individual listening. Headphones are not very social. Music should be a social thing, shared with others.

I am not sure you are giving enough credit to the headphone community. They often have meetups with loads of energy. But music is a social thing. Perhaps Tidal and Qobuz lead the way here with sharable playlists for the personal audio community. But this is where a two channel system has arguably more value. I can invite a few friends over and we can listen, drink wine and cocktails and beer, and play each other's favorite music. Fortunately it happens a lot at my house. Not one session goes by where one friend doesn't make note of a new recording someone else has discovered and then later buys it!

Reactions: Pokey77 and Bobvin
Exactly. How does watching/listening to a high-end system via MP3 sound through earbuds persuade someone that that high-end system sounds better than streaming MP3 music through earbuds??
Hmm, you are missing the point here. Video allows one to gather information on new and existing products (and how to improve the sound thereof) and see the excitement on the faces of people in the video. It's not really about listening to the actual sound of the video.

Reactions: Pokey77
An influencer brings brand awareness and excitement. Branding is huge in our world and whether we think its important or not the reality is it does influence many. The audio Industry particularly the high end has very little brand recognition. We did this over 25 years ago . We took exit surveys at high end restaurants and stores around NYC, We asked people leaving these HE places to name the best audio products. The names they said were Sony or Bose. There were almost no references to any of the brands we sold at Lyric back then. The mention of a brand by an influencer does not mean they tell what to buy only that this "...." exists and maybe you should check it out. For me this is how I got into watches, not that I ran out and bought the first thing I was exposed to but it started my desire and interest. There are serious reasons companies hire Lebron, Serena. Tiger, Snoop Dog etc. I know this offends many but people aspire to be like others especially the famous.
I am often asked at the Golf Course or when I play in Poker tournaments what I do. I tell them and show them pictures and it is as if I was showing them pictures of another galaxy. The at first say is that for commercial or concerts? The awareness of the brands of the high end is miniscule.
Loving music is certainly important but it does not directly coincide with owning an audio system and certainly not a high end one. These people are totally aware of luxury and performance brands but not audio, WHY?
We miss the big picture. That picture is these are luxury items and unlike the watch or car business where people aspire to own and which gives them some status audio sadly does not do this.
It is this exposure that would make the Industry grow. Growth is good since it brings new discoveries, it brings scale which is a huge problem in the pricing of goods, it brings excitement and it makes it less intimidating.
I realize that most audiophiles could care less about this since it will have virtually no effect on their lives but as someone in the industry for 50 years it would be great for the future. I believe we need more music, more listeners, more learning how to listen, more passion, and less of the other things that dominate the young like violence, violence on TV , in the movies, in gaming. To me those are boring and lack excitement but to the minions that is what sells. The music business has and is moving away from the music to producing events and shows. I don't want to see 50 dancers and special effects, I want to listen to the music. If the music dies god help us.
Audio has always transported me. Taken me away from my stress and my reality and changed my mood and outlook. Video entertains me but doesn't do those things. I want more to experience in our incredibly stressful world the effect of "the time machine" that an audio system is and can be.
Well said!

Hmm, you are missing the point here. Video allows one to gather information on new and existing products (and how to improve the sound thereof) and see the excitement on the faces of people in the video. It's not really about listening to the actual sound of the video.

But if there are excited faces, that's about video equipment reports, not about videos of systems playing music.

Exactly. Especially since music videos of performers, which are often professionally made, have so much better sound than the typical crappy iPhone videos of systems. It's simply no comparison. Like comparing a Ferrari with a little $ 10K car. Ridiculous.
You had promised on another thread you would stop your senseless attacks on videos, to the mods no less. Unless you want to take all threads downhill I suggest you do or post some of your crappy system I have heard it is awful and can't reproduce any instrument realistically, and the woofers are poorly integrated.

You had promised on another thread you would stop your senseless attacks on videos, to the mods no less. Unless you want to take all threads downhill I suggest you do or post some of your crappy system I have heard it is awful and can't reproduce any instrument realistically, and the woofers are poorly integrated.
Someone needs to check they did not pull their underwear on backwards today.

Reactions: Pokey77
But if there are excited faces, that's about video equipment reports, not about videos of systems playing music.

That depends on the story. Showing systems playing music can be interesting if a manufacturer is talking about what is new and different about what they have done.

Someone needs to check they did not pull their underwear on backwards today.

Yeah that's Al. He is relentless on video attacks even after having been warned. Apparently it is because he tried to put his own ones up and they were pooh poohed by people wh know him well. do a search on videos, by Al M. you will see.

That's your point and it is valid; however, it is not what most posters here (and not the posts referenced) are suggesting. Their point seems to be that posting video recordings of high-end systems will somehow persuade viewers/listeners that better sound is available to them, which seems obviously counter-intuitive to me (and others)

You had promised on another thread you would stop your senseless attacks on videos, to the mods no less.

I did promise in that other thread not to comment on videos. Unless the topic is about videos. Which here it is, partially.

I have kept my other promise. If I didn't, then it was to comment positively. Which I did a month or so ago, on Tango's thread.

Unless you want to take all threads downhill I suggest you do or post some of your crappy system I have heard it is awful and can't reproduce any instrument realistically, and the woofers are poorly integrated.

That's so funny, Ked. You think you can scare me? Nobody who has actually heard my system thinks it's awful. So you're completely making this up. You're like the 15 year old schoolyard bully. Grow up, kiddo.

• Haha
Reactions: andromedaaudio
I should probably note that the upcoming TAS channel strives to be more like my friend Ed Bolian's Vinwiki channel than an equipment review channel although both are useful.

I personally believe it's more about telling cool and fun stories than anything else. Ed and his guests tell vivid stories about valet mishaps and cannonball runs. They don't go into details on how to fix an IMS bearing on a Porsche 911.

Think about all the rich content we have in the hobby...we have many celebrity audiophiles, we have musicians, we have stories about going to concerts, we have engineers who make the recordings, we have smart and interesting designers of gear, we have cool dealers. There is literally a boat load of material for good stories and otherwise interesting content!

I did promise in that other thread not to comment on videos. Unless the topic is about videos. Which here it is, partially.

I have kept my other promise. If I didn't, then it was to comment positively. Which I did a month or so ago, on Tango's thread.

That's so funny, Ked. You think you can scare me? Nobody who has actually heard my system thinks it's awful. So you're completely making this up. You're like the 15 year old schoolyard bully. Grow up, kiddo.

Just post your system videos Al or quit on the topic. No one is scaring you. Just the truth

That's your point and it is valid; however, it is not what most posters here (and not the posts referenced) are suggesting. Their point seems to be that posting video recordings of high-end systems will somehow persuade viewers/listeners that better sound is available to them, which seems obviously counter-intuitive to me (and others)

Ah ok. I must have missed that. Who suggested this?

Yeah that's Al. He is relentless on video attacks even after having been warned. Apparently it is because he tried to put his own ones up and they were pooh poohed by people wh know him well. do a search on videos, by Al M. you will see.

Another made up story. You keep being so funny, Ked, it's hilarious.

I’m in line on what you say. The one point of difference between high end audio is it’s a lonely endeavor. Sure people come over over and are just amazed, but not enough for the majority to move past a Sonos or similar system for the home where they can walk freely, join others, undergo other tasks or other members can use without worry.

Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu