Stromtank........

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
each audiophile mains system and audio system is particular enough to kill any hope of generalization. Experimentation and basic electrical common sense are the only rules.

+1

From personal experimentation I know that the PS Audio regenerator sounds different than an Equi-Tech isolation transformer. I suspect a Stromtank sounds different than a PS Audio regenerator or an Equi-Tech.

So all of these devices make our systems sound different. The question is: is different subjectively better?

In my new system I decided not to go down this road at all, and I'm not using any of these devices.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
+1

From personal experimentation I know that the PS Audio regenerator sounds different than an Equi-Tech isolation transformer. I suspect a Stromtank sounds different than a PS Audio regenerator or an Equi-Tech.

So all of these devices make our systems sound different. The question is: is different subjectively better?

In my new system I decided not to go down this road at all, and I'm not using any of these devices.

But you should check your mains, at less for voltage and line regulation (mains impedance). You can do it yourself, no technician needed!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
nice post! Agree that people who haven’t tried battery on their front end components are fools. :)

as per post above, it may not work in all situations but worth a try!!!

also for what it’s worth:

a guy compared a goal zero unit , costing a few hundred bucks, to stromtank. Conclusion: he couldn’t tell any difference ( but not a direct comparison, but still…if it were significant….)
I must admit, I'm curious on what changes a Goal Zero unit will make. One can get one to try for 30 days.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
line regulation

The Torus voltage line regulation devices ("Torus AVR") output 120VAC +/- 5V for input voltage between 90V and 130V.

But it seems to me that fluctuation between 115V and 125V is still a pretty big range for, say, a reel-to-reel tape machine.

What appropriate product do you know of that maintains much tighter voltage regulation?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Torus voltage line regulation devices ("Torus AVR") output 120VAC +/- 5V for input voltage between 90V and 130V.

But it seems to me that fluctuation between 115V and 125V is still a pretty big range for, say, a reel-to-reel tape machine.

What appropriate product do you know of that maintains much tighter voltage regulation?

As far as I remember Torus keeps voltage switching between taps of the transformer - I think the +/-5V is the extreme case, very improbable. It is why my advise to diagnose our mains. :)

Your A820 is super regulated mainly DC operated machine - it should be insensitive to mains variations, something that does not happen with the A80 or many other old top reel machines that benefit for a non distorted mains, as the motors are AC operated.

Reactions: Lee

Hessec

Oct 27, 2018
Southlake TX
I have tested the output voltage of my torus 5 times. Every single reading has been 121v. I believe a 5v difference will shut the unit down. Mine are whole room units. I cannot comment on the "conditioners" as I have no experience with them.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
In my point of view, Stromtank is a over-price product, you get a better music density, more details but with the trade-off cost of power swing, dynamic constrast and lively performance. The sound become softer, more calm down and relaxed, but loss the feeling of exciting let you gone with the music.
Some kind of problem related with the build quality, with a high price tag it should be better
+ The internal cable inside Stromtank is not an audiophile grade just like a popular electric cable
+ The grounding bus bar inside is too small and not good enough for a good earth ground path
+ The chassis is not thick and solid enough

Even I tested the 2500 quantum for only my MSB Digital Powerbase, it got the same result.
One of my friend who have an extreme power soultion with Stromtank but still have a slightly dynamic trade-off
+ S1000 for the CD source
+ S2500 quantum for preamp
+ 2 x S5000 HP for each poweramp (left & right)
+ Earth grounding enhancement for each unit
Please try it with home demo and listen it in your system before you decide to buy.

This has been my experience with every power condition i have tried , they really help if you have bad wall supply from local power company or poor internal wiring etc if not , kills dynamics for sure just as you describe ..!

Regards

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
+1
I have one 16mm2 line terminating into a distribution box in my listening room. From there go hardwired 4mm2 lines to all devices. The connection at the backside of the devices is Neutrik Powercon 32A.

With this arrangement I never had the desire to use any power conditioning at all.

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Live Analog

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have still seen ground loop issues through a Stromtank unless you unplug it from the wall.

Hi Rex,

Did you see this in an application where the amplifier was not plugged into the Stromtank? Or was every component plugged into the Stromtank?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Where I live there are a lot of power outages primarily in the summer time. So protecting sensitive equipment like an costly music server from improper shut-down makes a product like Stromtank a worthwhile investment.
You could also use a Torus AVR that auto adjusts the output voltage to maintain a stable 120 volts. If voltage gets out of range, it will shut the power down until you tell it to turn on. You could also use a UPS and Equitech. You could also use a PS Audio regnerator. Or a Pure Power. Or maybe that Monster Power station.
I believe you are correct in that the grid is an unstable source of power in some locations. But there are options. Any server should be able to handle a drop out. A continuous sag or swell is another issue.
Hi Rex,

Did you see this in an application where the amplifier was not plugged into the Stromtank? Or was every component plugged into the Stromtank?
Amp to the wall. 240 volt Boulder. Everything else the Stromtank.

I had him put the Stromtank on Ebtech HumX and that broke the loop. Were still trying to figure out why. I think the amp is leaking voltage to ground. Not fully sure. We have done many forms of isolation and elimination.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing