Sublime Sound

Hi Peter

It's always a revelation to meet the man behind the screen. I believe I was the first to take the pilgrimage to Cedar city about 4-5 years ago where I too spent a week with David and his wife and 2 daughters. I learned more in that week than I did in the previous 40 years

To hear David's system is something that exceeds all expectations. Then to hear his system with his vintage turntables was most educational. QuicklyI realized that every turntable had at least 2, 3 or 4 SME 3012R arms and from that point on I too use the same arm x2 in my system

As for setting up a cartridge I have never seen anyone as adept as David at cartridge setup. Many have mocked his playing card system for getting VTA correct. It is a method that I have learned under david's tutelage

I would suggest to anyone wanting to improve their system in every way, David has an uncanny ability to figure out a room very quickly and then make suggestions as to how to make improvements. Be prepared to learn that with David, less is always more and as a result be prepared to strip your system of many or all of the tweaks. David has been to y house on 4 different occasions. On the last visit when he helped install the VDH MSS he walked around my room and then pointed to a spot and said, "this is where you should be listening so that your room is taken out of the equation.. That spot was 3 feet further forward than where I sat for years. I gave serious thought to his suggestions and with his help was able to find my dream chair at Roche Bobois in NYC. I reset the upper modules on my speakers to account for the change in listening position. That was about 6 months ago. The spot that David indicated turned out to be all of only 4" from where the Wilson algorithm placed me. David did all of this by ear. Where I sit now is so engaging that I remain in my room for most of the day

Bottom line Peter, you're in good hands with David's tutelage. For any one with similar desires, plan on spending a week there and upon your return home your mind will be racing

Here's my thread from my pilgrimage

Congrats peter on the new turntable ,it looks like a very efficiently constructed design, thats probably why it aged so well in terms of quality.
Kudos to DDK for all the help / advice , natural sound is the way to go, the rest is all short term hype .

Ps what was your impression of the LAMM amplification ??

Thank you andromedaaudio. Natural sound is now the path I am following. The table is a very simple and clean design. Very elegant and functional, but the key is that it is built to an exceptional high level. Nothing extra and the sound is really no sound. People think massive steel just rings and is bad for audio. I hear the opposite. If well implemented, there is nothing like it.

The LAMM electronics are superb sounding. I was not able to directly compare it to alternatives, but I could tell. It has the SET magic and seemed a strong contributor to the "natural" sound I heard at David's. We did not listen to the hybrid amps, just different levels of phono, pre and SET amps.

I will have more to share in a dedicated thread about the visit. In my system thread, I am hoping to only discuss what is directly effecting my system at home. David's place in at a completely different level from everything I have heard, and not just his main big system, but all four systems I heard. He has achieved something very special, and it is not just the speakers, turntables, or electronics. It is the whole approach, starting with power and cables and racks. None of the audiophile accessories so common now. What I heard was the purity of the recordings coming through with more natural resolution than I have heard before.

I should add that his power cables and cables were like snake pits. No organization or reason, just placed all over the place. I've never seen such a mess behind all the racks. And yet, there was near silence coming out of his 105dB speakers with tube electronics at full listening level. Incredible. It really opened my eyes and thinking about the conventional audiophile approach. His approach in many ways runs completely counter to everything I have assumed for years.

Last edited:
I know of at least 4 SX8000mk2 owners here on WBF and some Mk1s too. We should start a group! Here's mine.View attachment 74691

Howie, that is a gorgeous sample. I will not have the air base but rather am designing two massive steel blocks, one for the motor and one for the main chassis. They will be about the size of your base, but 220 lbs of tuned silver stainless steel. Combined with the table, I will have 400 lbs of steel on the top shelf of my rack.

May I ask why you have a record weight? Do you use the vacuum hold down?

It really opened my eyes and thinking about the conventional audiophile approach. His approach in many ways runs completely counter to everything I have assumed for years.
You gotta spend where it hurts / spend efficiently .
Some parts in the chain require big money , some parts dont .:cool:
You dont wanna be a bling bling shiny box collector :p

Are you swapping the Magico to any of the speakers you heard?

Since Peter skipped answering this question, all of you are free to interpret silence. Though I called this many months ago

Peter, I look forward hopefully to visiting David again someday, but next time on a leisurely schedule. I visited just long enough to understand and to be in awe of David's knowledge and experience in audio; to relish David's turntable collection; to compare the sounds of the original American Sound versus the Thorens Reference versus the EMT 927; and to hear my "Send in the Clowns" reproduced significantly more realistically than I have ever heard before -- like I had been transported to the live venue. But I did not visit long enough to immerse myself in the music or to understand David's main system or to hear at all the smaller systems.

Reactions: PeterA and ddk
Peter, I look forward hopefully to visiting David again someday, but next time on a leisurely schedule. I visited just long enough to understand and to be in awe of David's knowledge and experience in audio; to relish David's turntable collection; to compare the sounds of the original American Sound versus the Thorens Reference versus the EMT 927; and to hear my "Send in the Clowns" reproduced significantly more realistically than I have ever heard before -- like I had been transported to the live venue. But I did not visit long enough to immerse myself in the music or to understand David's main system or to hear at all the smaller systems.
You're always welcome here Ron!

david

Reactions: howiebrou
Congrats Peter. It will be great to hear your videos now with the MS instead of the SME.

Are you swapping the Magico to any of the speakers you heard?

Bonzo, I missed this as I am still catching up with stuff from having been away for a week. We are now also having a blizzard.

I will surely get around to posting videos with the Micro Seiki. Regarding speaker changes, we will see. I have lots to think about and time will tell. Yes, we are all aware that you predicted this months or years ago.

I will predict this: I may have more changes done before Ron moves into his house and sets up his system and before you get around to buying a system. My money is on Ron before you.

I am also very impressed with the level of help and advice David is willing to give. He recently sent me the motor-controller from his AS 2000 TT to use with a mongrel Pabst motor project i had undertaken. He meticulously guided me trough voltage calibration live on WhatsApp, and has given advice on everything from pulleys to record weights. Thank you David ! You have the patience of a saint !:)

I am also very impressed with the level of help and advice David is willing to give. He recently sent me the motor-controller from his AS 2000 TT to use with a mongrel Pabst motor project i had undertaken. He meticulously guided me trough voltage calibration live on WhatsApp, and has given advice on everything from pulleys to record weights. Thank you David ! You have the patience of a saint !:)
Martin I wasn’t aware of this. You have the best motor driven by the best controller !!!!

Martin I wasn’t aware of this. You have the best motor driven by the best controller !!!!
I am using a different old Pabst motor with a built in giant flywheel. I also own the motor David uses, but do not have the machine shop or knowledge needed to fabricate the elaborated flywheel used in the AS 2000.

I dont wanna speak for you peter after all its personal , but since you like magico , i think the magico S5 mk 1 would be a significant upgrade over the Q 3.
How much better (or if )the mk 2 Is i dont know i never heard it

Brg hj

We will see. I like Magico, but I prefer the Q3 to the S5 and S5 II that I heard in different systems, so no direct comparisons made. If I make any speaker changes, it will likely be toward a high efficiency speaker.

I am using a different old Pabst motor with a built in giant flywheel. I also own the motor David uses, but do not have the machine shop or knowledge needed to fabricate the elaborated flywheel used in the AS 2000.
If you will get the details from David and or a cad drawing, I will arrange the fabrication as a present from me to you

Reactions: Lagonda
If you will get the details from David and or a cad drawing, I will arrange the fabrication as a present from me to you
Very kind of you Savvas ! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu