Sublime Sound

So, you replaced your Masterbuilt cables with CC cables?
I don’t own Bionors. What’s your point . I’ve heard David’s system. You and Keith haven’t. I love when people who have zero knowledge of a component have the most to say about it.

Reactions: ddk
Tim, are you suggesting they have found the remnants of Noah’s ark on some mountain top in Utah?
Is Utah not the promised land in some religion ? :rolleyes: I could be wrong, think i saw that on a episode of SouthPark :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: Bobvin
this question has been asked by you and others. It has also been answered many times. The issue is, very few actually investigate. Many who have asked the question do it to chat post but there are no follow ups

No, no one answered to it or discussed it seriously. IMHO it would be a very interesting subject. I got a private suggestion from David, but was not at my reach.

I don’t own Bionors. What’s your point . I’ve heard David’s system. You and Keith haven’t. I love when people who have zero knowledge of a component have the most to say about it.
What does your answer have to do with my question? I simply asked if you now have CC cables in your system. I didn’t ask you about owning Bionors...

Quick google search with the terms "Klangfilm Bionor" points out to several Bionor setups, some of them restored, some of them original. So "unobtanium" they aren't, they are very difficult to buy in original condition, but not unobtanium. And I'm pretty sure that if the person who searches is fluent in japanese, setup image results will increase drastically. There was a japanese website (now sadly taken down) that showed a mono Bionor setup with WE electronics in a rural house. And how many Bionor owners post pictures of their setups? That's another factor to consider.

Much closer to unobtanium are Moriyama and Machida systems that ddk visited, with two Epson idlers (ultra rare) and speakers made out of wood that needed 10 years to cure driven by custom amplifiers with super rare 4212E DHT tubes.

I think that the "best" audio system belongs to some weirdo guy living at some remote part of the world in the top of a mountain, with one off equipment and true unobtanium stuff, probably even custom one off speaker drivers of which there's not even a picture. I'm sure that such a unicorn exists, just not documented in the internet o_O

Thanks, I carried extensive research on the subject after I got the ML3's from Mike. I found many Bionor's arround the world, none avaliable for sale. Regularly some parts show in the German ebay or classifieds. According to David amateur restored Bionors or copies are a no. And sorry, I know it is semantics, but unobtainium is not impossible, just extremely hard and expensive. Like the guy who had an extended price list ending with "impossible items add an extra 100 euros".

It is why I asked for the closest replacement.

Thanks, I carried extensive research on the subject after I got the ML3's from Mike. I found many Bionor's arround the world, none avaliable for sale. Regularly some parts show in the German ebay or classifieds. According to David amateur restored Bionors or copies are a no. And sorry, I know it is semantics, but unobtainium is not impossible, just extremely hard and expensive. Like the guy who had an extended price list ending with "impossible items add an extra 100 euros".

It is why I asked for the closest replacement.
I think it’s very safe to call the Bionors “unobtainiam.”

What does your answer have to do with my question? I simply asked if you now have CC cables in your system. I didn’t ask you about owning Bionors...
Keep going Wirth the obfuscation. Your question of me had zero to do with my comment to Keith and you as well. What's your point? Keith commented on the use of CC's with his Lamm gear and even commented on the price...

And $5 Ching Chengs that requires a $90k Lamm stack to sound "natural" doesn't impress me either, but that's a different conversation.
My comment was that it never ceases to amaze me how the most negative comments come from people (you and Keith) who have never heard his system. And you ask me about MB cables in my system ???

I call that obfuscation

For the sake of not trawling through thousands of posts, I agree with Micro that it would be interesting to know what David thinks is a workable replacement for Bionors. Big JBLs like the Paragon or his own M9500/S9500? Western Electric replicas from China? Some modern horn? ALTEC VOTT (big ones)? Minimonitors?

Reactions: pcosta
Keep going Wirth the obfuscation. Your question of me had zero to do with my comment to Keith and you as well. What's your point? Keith commented on the use of CC's with his Lamm gear and even commented on the price...

My comment was that it never ceases to amaze me how the most negative comments come from people (you and Keith) who have never heard his system. And you ask me about MB cables in my system ???

I call that obfuscation
I call that reading something that isn’t there. I simply wanted to know if you thought they were good enough to replace multi-thousand dollar cables. You can misinterpret how you like but my question was simple and direct.
What have I said that was negative exactly?

you didn't say anything negative but rather flipped the comment to something unnecessary and totally unrelated to my comment
Sorry, but you just said I was saying negative things about (I think you meant) David’s system. Look up a couple posts at your words, Steve. I have said repeatedly that I like this kind of system and remember hearing Bionors long ago fondly.

I didn't say that - its a fact that transducers dominate the sound in any room. You can't make a Magico sound like a horn, no matter what ancillaries you change. I'm not sure why this is controversial. The paths are totally different as are the sonics. Its even all quite measureable.

And $5 Ching Chengs that requires a $90k Lamm stack to sound "natural" doesn't impress me either, but that's a different conversation.

Keith, it appears you do not understand what I mean by a "natural" sounding system, or you do, and simply can not imagine my system can sound that way. That is fine.

IMO, such systems do not require a Lamm stack, CC cords, and SET amplifiers. Nor do they require vinyl. David has a very pleasant sound belt drive digital system in his office. It is a remarkable little stereo. No, it is more about the approach one takes and the sound he is trying to achieve. Furthermore, I have never claimed that my Magico speakers or others sound like horns (though ironically, Magico does make a horn speaker and I assume it sounds like one).

There are different degrees of natural sound. You are welcome to dismiss all Magico speakers as sounding unnatural. I would say to you that many systems of all types sound more hifi than natural to me. It is about a system sounding balanced with no frequencies or attributes drawing attention to themselves. It is about an open and effortless sound with believable tone.

As this is my system thread and I am hoping the discussion is about that and little else, I would say that my system is far from the four systems I heard in Utah. However, I did recognize something there that upon return here, I also hear. It is as simple as that. My goal now is to move further along the same path that I started to follow about a year ago. The results at the beginning were mixed, but with David's help, things are getting sorted out. The next step is the new turntable and two NOS arms. I appreciate that you are interested in following my system thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vienna and Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu