Sublime Sound

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I am not tired of the videos, I enjoy them. Al, you should just not listen to them if you don’t like them...?

Reactions: bonzo75

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
That is genuinely all good Al, I’d only be troubled if you only found flaws in mine :eek: and in truth perhaps not even then. I live happily with and love my system and have no issues at all that it is modest and imperfect but still it does connect to the music so easily and that is it’s fundamental design goal.

I do love that people share glimpses into their systems and also the music that they enjoy. There is obviously no absolute sound performance judgement in these just a sense of some characteristic qualities and of the spirit of the sound and perhaps even the room.

I have always enjoyed reading Peter’s thread for a range of reasons and his videos add a dimension and breath for those of us not lucky enough to be able to visit these systems that we have read about for many years shared by the people behind them. The fact that they bring music and point to other performances like Mehta’s Scheherazade, or Marriner’s Vivaldi is a bonus... I then listened to these at home also just because I had enjoyed them in Peter’s video.

Through time these may build some small library of some kind of evolutionary understanding and point to system change as well. It would have been fascinating to have videos of these recordings in Peter’s system sound prior to the great revolution as well. Not for any reason of exact transcription but just because the layers of sensation and brush strokes of experience they can carry.

Not absolute truth in context but they contain in these simple recordings a shared communication of the underlining spirit of our systems perhaps.

Graham, I like the general tonal balance of your system. Beyond that, unrestrained by phone recordings, I am sure it sounds fabulous in person!

I appreciate the other points that you make in your post.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I am not tired of the videos, I enjoy them. Al, you should just not listen to them if you don’t like them...?

True. As I said, there are some good aspects about this kind of videos -- and I certainly appreciate the comparative ones, where you can hear differences between components.

I will, however, probably not make videos of my own system.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Graham, I like the general tonal balance of your system. Beyond that, unrestrained by phone recordings, I am sure it sounds fabulous in person!

I appreciate the other points that you make in your post.
Al there are so many systems I read about here regularly that I’d love to hear in person yours included. This forum has such diversity that makes it really rich from the most accessible through to the no holds barred wonders... that is the systems and also the people who built them. Great passion is our most common connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M. and PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

No he should listen to them as he is one of those who has most to learn on the forum and one day it might click.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I will, however, probably not make videos of my own system.

Please do, give others a chance to complain about videos don't do it all alone yourself

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Please do, give others a chance to complain about videos don't do it all alone yourself

Hehe, as you know too well, I'm not the only one. Others at WBF have been vocal too on other occasions.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hehe, as you know too well, I'm not the only one. Others at WBF have been vocal too on other occasions.

you consistently post on videos to say videos are sh*t with zero contribution to the discussion.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
you consistently post on videos to say videos are sh*t with zero contribution to the discussion.

I don't believe others who paid attention necessarily think that I brought zero contribution to the discussion. In some bad mood, Ked?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I don't believe others who paid attention necessarily think that I brought zero contribution to the discussion. In some bad mood, Ked?
It is the face mask syndrome. Not enough oxygen gets to brain causing nausia, crankiness and bad mouth. :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There are people who believe in enjoying videos and those who don't. I get that. I don't see why Al has to consistently after a video is posted make his way to say how sh*t videos are without any other contribution. At no time has anyone posting videos claimed that the compressed version is as good as the real version. There have been so many discussions on this that those like Al who don't get what people posting videos are trying to convey, should simply move on instead of the same rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Al if you believe these videos are so useless, please get a nice recorder, and do a coverage of Boston group for us and of your toe in, out, speaker placement moves, and removal and addition of absorbers.

Reactions: KeithR

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Maybe it also explains an over-riding abundance of the description word “air” as well. A subconscious expression about what one really wants, leaking into everything else.
Without air there is no life. The air is pretty fresh at Peter's. :D

Reactions: Folsom and PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Al if you believe these videos are so useless, please get a nice recorder, and do a coverage of Boston group for us and of your toe in, out, speaker placement moves, and removal and addition of absorbers.

I think my system will be the only one from the Boston Group heard and seen on videos. The others seem adamantly opposed. Madfloyd enjoys the videos for what they are.

One takes a big risk posting a video of his system. I sent mine around in private initially. I thank Kedar and Tang for their efforts.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I think my system will be the only one from the Boston Group heard and seen on videos. The others seem adamantly opposed. Madfloyd enjoys the videos for what they are.

One takes a big risk posting a video of his system. I sent mine around in private initially. I thank Kedar and Tang for their efforts.
It is free will. We should also understand that home is a private place and most want to remain private. Best to leave it to free will.

Thank you Peter for showing me interesting albums. I have been buying what you showed.

Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Privacy is fine. Totally understand that, as well as understand not believing in listening to videos. Don't understand negative posts after each video making the same point

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
There are people who believe in enjoying videos and those who don't. I get that. I don't see why Al has to consistently after a video is posted make his way to say how sh*t videos are without any other contribution. At no time has anyone posting videos claimed that the compressed version is as good as the real version. There have been so many discussions on this that those like Al who don't get what people posting videos are trying to convey, should simply move on instead of the same rinse and repeat.

Ked, you must not have read my posts carefully, then. I have repeatedly acknowledged some usefulness of the videos.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It is free will. We should also understand that home is a private place and most want to remain private. Best to leave it to free will.

Thank you Peter for showing me interesting albums. I have been buying what you showed.

I completely agree. Free will is important and should be respected. And the posting of videos is a very personal matter and why videos should only be shared with the express permission of the owner, IMO.

The Boston Group's systems are already systems we know very much about. Posting a video taken from the listening seat showing only the audio system, often in a very dark setting (or of Kedar's crotch), does not disclose much if one has already exposed the system to the public by having started an active system thread and posting lots of images of his system already with lots of listener's impressions and system updates. Videos of such systems only add further information. It is up to the owner whether or not he wants to add this additional type of information.

For me, it is one more method of sharing and learning, but it took me a long time to decided to make and share such videos. The early ones were not good and not as representative of the system's sound. And in my case, the first ones posted here in the SME arm comparison thread were for the express purpose of comparing two components to see if anything could be learned, with the benefits of providing more system context and new music. It is not for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: dan31 and Al M.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
A.J. van den Hul's masterpiece, the Colibri XGW Grand Cru on the SME 3012R. This is my second sample of this cartridge and it does indeed sound different from my other one. I am reminded of two stories:

1. I was told about a customer who went into a audio dealership in Vienna and asked to hear three Lyra cartridges: an Olympus, a Titan and one other model. He listened to all three with the same music. He then declared that he would buy the Olympus. The shop owner said, "Wonderful, I will go in the back and get you one. I'll be right back." The customer said, "No, you misunderstand me. I want to buy the Olympus that you just played for me. That is the EXACT ONE I want."

2. I once asked my Pass Labs dealer which Pass amp model he thought sounded best. His answer: The one that Nelson most recently finished.

A.J. van den Hul is an artist. There is sample to sample variation. Each is a hand built piece of art, slightly different from all the rest. I also suspect that his designs evolve as he continues to learn. As with all great artists, the passion is deep and the exploration is continuous.

IMG_0661.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing