Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Just installed the Taiko switch and NIC yesterday and run for ~15hours now, i was using Ansuz D2 switch for few years already and it offers a very pleasing and analog tone, the 1st impression of the Taiko switch is more fall into hi res side, which further lower the noise floor and give more micro details, however, i feel the tone by using Anszu swtich is more beautiful and relaxing than using the Taiko switch, especially the brass instrument and piano solo are much more engaging and addictive. Its something like i change the rectifiers tube from Cossor 53ku to RGN2004 now, i will give a week to run in first and then switch it back to Ansuz to compare again, anyone has done similar comparison with Ansuz? Im using LPS to feed Taiko switch already with some quality DC cable, maybe search some quality DAC cable to test in later stage

Perhaps this is useful, footers / surface it’s placed on makes a very large difference.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/r...treme-network-card-review-footer-experiments/

Furthermore you can try to use longer DAC cables, longer = fuller/warmer. This is more likely due to the wire gauge used, it ranges between 30 and 24awg depending on the length (longer = larger diameter). And yeah there’s always soms burn in related effect of course.

Perhaps this is useful, footers / surface it’s placed on makes a very large difference.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/r...treme-network-card-review-footer-experiments/

Furthermore you can try to use longer DAC cables, longer = fuller/warmer. This is more likely due to the wire gauge used, it ranges between 30 and 24awg depending on the length (longer = larger diameter). And yeah there’s always soms burn in related effect of course.
Thanks Taiko team and I’m using a 7m DAC cable which recommended by Ben from local disty in Hong Kong already, I will try to use some footers to see how it goes, the main difference is the body and meat especially for brass, piano and vocal, which lost some of the harmonics and resonance, it sounds too ‘fast’ and punchy now with less sustain

Reactions: audio42
Thanks Taiko team and I’m using a 7m DAC cable which recommended by Ben from local disty in Hong Kong already, I will try to use some footers to see how it goes, the main difference is the body and meat especially for brass, piano and vocal, which lost some of the harmonics and resonance, it sounds too ‘fast’ and punchy now with less sustain

Did you get the network card installed just now as well or was it already installed when you purchased your Extreme? Do you know if the accompanying script to configure your network card was executed on your Extreme?

Did you get the network card installed just now as well or was it already installed when you purchased your Extreme? Do you know if the accompanying script to configure your network card was executed on your Extreme?
NIC Just arrived and same bundled ordered with the switch, no idea about the script and maybe we can arrange a Teamviewer for your remote support :)

Just curious anyone using CMS footers under Taiko switch? Is it 3 pieces is enough like the stock footers?
I use 4 under switch, router and DCD but 3 is likely fine

Reactions: Bobofei86
Hi Guys, i found the root cause is the upstream lan cable, i changed to another cable which sounds much more balance now, usually i put the 'best' cable to the last mile to the extreme, this time the DAC cable do the same job which give the transparency, direct and dynamic sound, however it sounds too harsh if i pair with the same character cable...
once again, every single component makes a big difference and it’s all about mix and match

Last edited:
Hi there everyone, might anyone be able to tell me if installing dbpoweramp on my extreme server to help me rip cds will degrade sound quality if I leave the amp in the server after ripping? Sorry if this sound like a silly question, but there’s just so much to know. Thanks much in advance : )

Kevin.

Hi there everyone, might anyone be able to tell me if installing dbpoweramp on my extreme server to help me rip cds will degrade sound quality if I leave the amp in the server after ripping? Sorry if this sound like a silly question, but there’s just so much to know. Thanks much in advance : )

Kevin.
Hi Kevin,

we strongly advice against installing any 3rd party software on our servers. We have seen machines with all kinds of audio (and non-audio) related software on it, sometimes accompanied by the observation "my Extreme does not sound that good anymore". Often only a fresh Operating System drive can restore these servers to their normal operation.
Please also keep in mind, that some software does not run properly on the Extreme, since it is heavily stripped down of all unnecessary packages. In order to get around that, some users try to download the missing dlls or code environments to their Extremes, which can lead to boot failures and a non-operational server.

We suggest you consider your Extreme to be a highly tuned audio component for music playback only. The OS is just as much part of the overall sound, as is the hardware.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: adyc and audio42
Hi Kevin,

we strongly advice against installing any 3rd party software on our servers. We have seen machines with all kinds of audio (and non-audio) related software on it, sometimes accompanied by the observation "my Extreme does not sound that good anymore". Often only a fresh Operating System drive can restore these servers to their normal operation.
Please also keep in mind, that some software does not run properly on the Extreme, since it is heavily stripped down of all unnecessary packages. In order to get around that, some users try to download the missing dlls or code environments to their Extremes, which can lead to boot failures and a non-operational server.

We suggest you consider your Extreme to be a highly tuned audio component for music playback only. The OS is just as much part of the overall sound, as is the hardware.

Hope that helps!
oh, tsaett, not only does it help, it clears up so much! thank you for this!

a couple more questions if I may - it sounds I should remove every app on my extreme in this case, browsing apps or otherwise - is there anything at all that is necessary or can be to kept on the extreme without compromise to sound quality? VNC, teamviewer? or should everything be removed after use?

lastly, in relation to ripping my cds, this should be done through my melco d100 into my laptop, after which I connect my laptop to the extreme for final transfer, correct? thanks again for this, and please excuse me for such basic questions! - kevin

oh, tsaett, not only does it help, it clears up so much! thank you for this!

a couple more questions if I may - it sounds I should remove every app on my extreme in this case, browsing apps or otherwise - is there anything at all that is necessary or can be to kept on the extreme without compromise to sound quality? VNC, teamviewer? or should everything be removed after use?

lastly, in relation to ripping my cds, this should be done through my melco d100 into my laptop, after which I connect my laptop to the extreme for final transfer, correct? thanks again for this, and please excuse me for such basic questions! - kevin
Hi Kevin,

happy to help!

Browser, TV Quicksupport and VNC are part of the factory default set of applications and must not be removed. Same goes for Roon.
These have been tested and approved by Taiko and do not compromise SQ. If you haven't added any additional software, you can rest assured that the remaining applications are there for good reason.

Regarding Ripping - correct, your laptop just needs to be on the same network as the Extreme, no need to physically connect it to the Extreme itself.
May I refer you to the Extreme Music Server Manual document on our website, where you can find details how to transfer music on your server?
It is located here: https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

Else you can alsways reach out to support@taikoaudio.com for further assistance!

Hi Kevin,

happy to help!

Browser, TV Quicksupport and VNC are part of the factory default set of applications and must not be removed. Same goes for Roon.
These have been tested and approved by Taiko and do not compromise SQ. If you haven't added any additional software, you can rest assured that the remaining applications are there for good reason.

Regarding Ripping - correct, your laptop just needs to be on the same network as the Extreme, no need to physically connect it to the Extreme itself.
May I refer you to the Extreme Music Server Manual document on our website, where you can find details how to transfer music on your server?
It is located here: https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

Else you can alsways reach out to support@taikoaudio.com for further assistance!
Thanks for everything, tsaett - I’m on it : ) - have a great weekend ahead! ☺️

Reactions: tsaett

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing