Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

it is 7-8 feet away. I don’t hear it, especially when the music is playing.

Maybe the NAS sounds better than internal storage because accessing data from the internal drives generates computer, not mechanical, noise. Maybe having the data enter the computer via the ethernet card is better, noise wise. Emile has done the testing so he may know exactly way. On the other hand, I don’t know if the difference is significant.
Exactly, how much better is a NAS? The whole initial allure to the Extreme was the internal storage! Now potentially having to add a NAS, another piece...Seems counter...

Exactly, how much better is a NAS? The whole initial allure to the Extreme was the internal storage! Now potentially having to add a NAS, another piece...Seems counter...

Maybe, maybe not. Also, there are only 5 PCI slots on the Olympus motherboard. If you want both USB and XDMI you may run out of slots for internal storage so having a NAS eliminates that issue.

Reactions: John T
Maybe, maybe not. Also, there are only 5 PCI slots on the Olympus motherboard. If you want both USB and XDMI you may run out of slots for internal storage so having a NAS eliminates that issue.
Yes so I have gathered...

It would seem if one were to get both XDMI/USB, then the doubt of not liking XDMI (highly unlikely) still exists...I cannot imagine going through this extreme make over and using USB...

Reactions: RobertL and Armsan
It would seem if one were to get both XDMI/USB, then the doubt of not liking XDMI (highly unlikely) still exists...I cannot imagine going through this extreme make over and using USB...

I am thinking that if one doesn’t have a DAC with a native XDMI input then they could use XDMI with the DAC card and/or USB with their DAC. I don’t think it is either / or.

Reactions: John T
I am thinking that if one doesn’t have a DAC with a native XDMI input then they could use XDMI with the DAC card and/or USB with their DAC. I don’t think it is either / or.
Of course, I was just focusing on Native XDMI and not taking into account the scenario you put forward. Different situations..

When we designed the Extreme, now almost 6 years ago, the Router/Switch/DCD/networkcard didn’t exist, on top of that we launched multiple software updates decreasing network sensitivity..

What we have today is online streaming and NAS streaming payback on par with internal storage. On the Olympus I would even rate network sourced playback slightly higher. These are simply the fruits of years of continuous development. And I’m personally over the moon we got this far.

Last edited:
it is 7-8 feet away. I don’t hear it, especially when the music is playing.

Maybe the NAS sounds better than internal storage because accessing data from the internal drives generates computer, not mechanical, noise. Maybe having the data enter the computer via the ethernet card is better, noise wise. Emile has done the testing so he may know exactly way. On the other hand, I don’t know if the difference is significant.

Yes you’re right, it’s now mainly a matter of power consumption. Drives can actually consume a lot of power, like 35% of the entire Olympus power consumption (!). Even when in standby they consume around 10%.

Yes you’re right, it’s now mainly a matter of power consumption. Drives can actually consume a lot of power, like 35% of the entire Olympus power consumption (!). Even when in standby they consume around 10%.

That is crazy! I knew there could be an effect but I never would have guessed that much.

That is crazy! I knew there could be an effect but I never would have guessed that much.

Yeah, ofcourse it’ll be in standby/sleep mode most of the time, but then it’s still +10%.. Things are simply different when all you have to do is to design for not adding anything to USB noise levels. But with the Olympus / XDMI the whole server is more or less part of your analogue noise floor. This is basically why you cannot just plug XDMI into the Extreme and expect it to perform well.

This may not be the perfect subforum for my question, but I do think here is the most and best expertise:

This year I will relocate to Bavaria.
There will be „fiber to the home“, a single LC APC patch fiber cable with green connector coming out of the wall to go directly in my new Fritzbox 5590 fiber router.

Sablon ethernet 2020 cable
Taiko router
DAC cable
Taiko switch
DAC cable
Taiko extreme
Sablon usb cable
T+A SD 3100 hv DAC

There is no separate modem, the Fritzbox 5590 sports a GPON sfp module to receive the fiber directly.
I have attached the necessary standards for this sfp GPON module.

As I had learned earlier in this lengthy thread, sfp modules do sound different.

Which sfp module should meet Fritzbox norms and standards and offer superior sound?
Thx a lot for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_4484.jpeg
    IMG_4484.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 9
This may not be the perfect subforum for my question, but I do think here is the most and best expertise:

This year I will relocate to Bavaria.
There will be „fiber to the home“, a single LC APC patch fiber cable with green connector coming out of the wall to go directly in my new Fritzbox 5590 fiber router.

Sablon ethernet 2020 cable
Taiko router
DAC cable
Taiko switch
DAC cable
Taiko extreme
Sablon usb cable
T+A SD 3100 hv DAC

There is no separate modem, the Fritzbox 5590 sports a GPON sfp module to receive the fiber directly.
I have attached the necessary standards for this sfp GPON module.

As I had learned earlier in this lengthy thread, sfp modules do sound different.

Which sfp module should meet Fritzbox norms and standards and offer superior sound?
Thx a lot for your input!

We’ve been using the Finisar FTLF1324P2BTL-MC, 1310 nm, so should work, it also has a “benign” current draw going a bit easier on the power rail then the Startech modules we used before. It’s possible there are better “sounding” modules now, haven’t done any recent recomparisons.

Reactions: engadin
That wont work in the Fritzbox it must be a BiDi SFP modul as there are only one fiber for both directions, Tx1310nm and Rx1490nm in the same fiber.

Something like this should work but dont know how the quality on them are.

Hmm indeed, missed that, I’d try a finisar then at least, might be worth it ordering a few and compare.

I don't believe that is correct. If I understand correctly, the aes/ebu output is thought to be optimal for totaldac at this point in time so nothing is planned for change in the dac. Emile said that most of the benefit is in the hw that pulls data from the cpu and the software and driver and that the new "interface" would maybe give a small benefit (but still tbd). We totaldac folks are ready to rock, no DAC changes needed

Edit:. Well, we do need to upgrade our DAC to the new unity versions:)

I have the Triunity and running it via USB exclusively since that is all my source is chambered for. I am not completely convinced AES is better than the USB in this DAC, I did listen with a source that had AES and went back and forth and at times felt the USB was equally as good. Horses for courses I guess..AES does have a slightly more relaxed sound to it, which I know is typically what Vincent prefers, but the USB had a liveliness I couldn't ignore and still low noise floor and all the wonders the TD provides.

As an aside I did ask Vincent recently if there were any plans to design I2S into the dac and he said no.

I am enjoying the music from the newly installed XDMS on my Extreme.
However, I do miss the Artist presentation on my iPad when I was using Roon.
There doesn't seem to be an option to display like this on XDMS?

Attachments

• iPad.jpg
    iPad.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 21
I am enjoying the music from the newly installed XDMS on my Extreme.
However, I do miss the Artist presentation on my iPad when I was using Roon.
There doesn't seem to be an option to display like this on XDMS?
No, you lose a number of niceties when you leave Roon for XDMS, but you gain some nice SQ improvements, IME. I do miss the Roon UI experience, though....

Reactions: Armsan and gfroman
Apparently, Ed needed something to do before heading off to Dreamland. Big THANKS to you, Ed! Before he installed the latest and greatest on my Extreme, I listened to several reference tracks one more time (my wife wants to Van Gogh both my ears due to this recurring practice). After the install, what I am hearing is pleasantly shocking! More articulate yet smooth SQ, tighter textured bass, a little more space between instruments, and some increase in the 3D effect. Even, “Keith Don’t Go” is enjoyable :) I am asking myself, with how incredible music is sounding do I really need the incoming Olympus? Of course I do!!!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing