Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Then it is difficult to understand so much effort in a massive mechanized chassis, and panzerholz inside if after a millimeter or position change the sound changes so much.
The fuse change is another story.

I can see how this would be difficult to understand. Yet with heavier, more elaborate builds, these types of changes become more obvious. Proper vibration control is often neglected. There’s a very good reason I keep insisting footers / equipment support are one of the more important things to address.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Then it is difficult to understand so much effort in a massive mechanized chassis, and panzerholz inside if after a millimeter or position change the sound changes so much.
The fuse change is another story.

the Artesania Exoteryc racks 'float' each shelf. balancing that 'float' optimizes the de-coupling. and then there is an adjustment for a bump stop too. in a way like a Minus K. so it makes sense that the degree of isolation will be reflected clearly in terms of audible performance.

so it's not like moving a piece of gear on a solid rack; it's more a balancing act where finding the sweet spot matters. and 40kg is not trivial to balance.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There’s a very good reason I keep insisting footers / equipment support are one of the most important things to address.

I absolutely agree. For me it was one of 3 things I did to optimize my Extreme.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
agree.

going from single Daiza to double Daiza a month ago was a clear step up.

last week changed my fuse to the Brimar; very nice small but clear step up in purity and refinement over the stock fuse (many thanks to Esotar). and over the week has continued to get a little better.

some gear really tells you all the truth. it seems like the Extreme performs in the clear air. we sometimes see that with particularly uber-detailed gear but maybe lacking a natural tonal balance. the Extreme is clear but always natural. and more information does not push it tonally in a wrong direction in my experience.
Hello Mike,
You got a Brimar fuse for the Extreme?
Great!

May I know what powercord do you use for it?
Thanks.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hello Mike,
You got a Brimar fuse for the Extreme?
Great!

May I know what powercord do you use for it?
Thanks.

i use the Absolute Fidelity power cords (power interface cables.....from Genesis Loudspeakers) with the Furutech NCF plugs. some are for gear with motors (turntables and RTR decks), some for source gear, some for subwoofers and amps. modestly priced around $2k list price plus the plug upgrades.

https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/products/cables/comp-pwr-interface-cables/

i have 13 of the Absolute Fidelity power cords in my system. they seem to me to get out of the way of the gear. from time to time i've tried other power cords but these do the least to my ears.

Reactions: Esotar and CKKeung

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
I trust Emile's advises strongly.

But I think audio grade fuse makes SGM Extreme quality be better.

Sorry, Emile~!

Mike's feedback makes my opinion be right.

Ha Ha

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
The fuse we use has been selected in an early stage of the design for low distortion and reliability. It’s not an “audiophile” fuse but an industrial heavy duty type. It will survive numerous power on cycles and not degrade. In audiophile terms it excels in dynamic expression and images large. The Extreme has been voiced around this fuse in what we consider to be neutral. Changing it obviously does have an impact on voicing.

@Esotar read above quote. Fully aware they change the sound ;) We can however not guarantee reliable operation nor durability.

Reactions: onsionsi and Esotar

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
DearEmile.
Were you able to find the manufacturer and model of the fuse you use in extreme ?
I tested it and it looks this fuse is a way better than SR black and much better than SR blue.

Also what fuse you use in your Totaldac Twelve now for best results?
I am trying to copy your setup to get the best from my system.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
I borrowed Goebel High End [La Corde Statement] power cable and connected it to SGM Extreme.

Very awesome~!!

Power cable is much better than USB cable.

Highly recommended~!!!!

P1000759.JPG

Reactions: CKKeung

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
DearEmile.
Were you able to find the manufacturer and model of the fuse you use in extreme ?
I tested it and it looks this fuse is a way better than SR black and much better than SR blue.

2A: Schurter 0001.2707.11
4A: Schurter 0001.2710.11

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
2A: Schurter 0001.2707.11
4A: Schurter 0001.2710.11

Thank you Emile.
This is excellent fuse.
Could you please share the link to where in Europe we can purchese this one
and different values of this fuse?
It is difficult to find them on stock.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I can see how this would be difficult to understand. Yet with heavier, more elaborate builds, these types of changes become more obvious. Proper vibration control is often neglected. There’s a very good reason I keep insisting footers / equipment support are one of the more important things to address.

I'm going to demo an amp (the LTA Ultralinear) which comes delivered with rubber feet. It will sit on a Daiza platform.

Given the vibration absorbing and damping qualities of the Daiza's, I wonder what might theoretically or in practice be some good footer options between the metal chassis and the Panzerholz?

I have some brass spikes (Starsound Audiopoints) laying around I could try.

Also, I believe Mike L. is using Panzer footers between chassis and Daiza?

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'm going to demo an amp (the LTA Ultralinear) which comes delivered with rubber feet. It will sit on a Daiza platform.

Given the vibration absorbing and damping qualities of the Daiza's, I wonder what might theoretically or in practice be some good footer options between the metal chassis and the Panzerholz?

I have some brass spikes (Starsound Audiopoints) laying around I could try.

Also, I believe Mike L. is using Panzer footers between chassis and Daiza?

yes; i use the foam filled Daiza panzerholtz footers everywhere and really like how they work. and they are cheap.

no reason not to compare the Daiza footers to the stock footers and decide for yourself. which is what i've done. they seem to just make the music naturally flow and not bring any sort of 'character'. especially when using the Daiza platforms it's the way to go.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
They're in stock at Farnell, go to https://www.farnell.com/ , choose your region and enter 0001.2707.11 into the search field.

I wanted to thank Emile for sharing this and for mentioning the other brand fuses signatures.
I am in process of changing all of them . Fine tuning the system again.
I have a system that requires 45 fuses in many different places and this is gigantic difference when
usuing the stock v SR black v SR blue v SR red v Schurter v HiFi .

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
DearEmile.

Let me get this right, you find the schurter fuse much better sounding than either the SR Black and even better than the SR Blue fuse? A $2 fuse sounds better than a $200 fuse. That's food for thought, has it been compared with the SR Orange fuse. I'm very curious as I just ordered a SR Orange.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Let me get this right, you find the schurter fuse much better sounding than either the SR Black and even better than the SR Blue fuse? A $2 fuse sounds better than a $200 fuse. That's food for thought, has it been compared with the SR Orange fuse. I'm very curious as I just ordered a SR Orange.
That’s not what I understood. What I think Emile said was that the Extreme was ‘voiced’ with a Schurter fuse, which was the best sounding regular fuse he found. No manufacturer is going to release a product that requires users to spend $200 to replace a fuse. That would get far too much negative press, as in ‘Don’t blow a fuse in the Taiko Extreme, it’ll cost you more to replace than a .......

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
That’s not what I understood. What I think Emile said was that the Extreme was ‘voiced’ with a Schurter fuse, which was the best sounding regular fuse he found. No manufacturer is going to release a product that requires users to spend $200 to replace a fuse. That would get far too much negative press, as in ‘Don’t blow a fuse in the Taiko Extreme, it’ll cost you more to replace than a .......
I see, so in other words there is no point in "upgrading" the fuse as the "voicing" was done according to a schurter fuse. Ok, I get it. Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing