Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Emile will be choosing the best recordings next Lol.
Seriously, is Emile considering a Taiko dac?

Reactions: howiebrou

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Emile will be choosing the best recordings next Lol.
Seriously, is Emile considering a Taiko dac?

Yes, and it will include a tuner and speakers as well. All-in-one Extreme. Made of panzerholz for sure.

jwvf1a2esldrs5lnvbct.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I dont know if this applies to all Roon core machines but mine downloads the song instantly from Qobuz when I hit play. I can see the activity at my routers SFP port being high for a couple of seconds when I hit play then it goes down. So effectively I can disconnect my network and it will finish the song anyway.

Is there a way to get Roon to download an entire album of tracks or is it only possible for just one track at a time? Unless the tracks are long like in some classical multiple part tracks, I wouldn't want to be connecting and re- connecting the network every 5 minutes or so.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Is there a way to get Roon to download an entire album of tracks or is it only possible for just one track at a time? Unless the tracks are long like in some classical multiple part tracks, I wouldn't want to be connecting and re- connecting the network every 5 minutes or so.

Fortunately I never had a Roon subscription but with Audirvana there is a setting:
"Max. memory allocated for tracks pre-load"
Certainly something similar with Roon.

Matt

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Fortunately I never had a Roon subscription but with Audirvana there is a setting:
"Max. memory allocated for tracks pre-load"
Certainly something similar with Roon.

Matt
So to clarify, with Audirvana, it sounds like you can download multiple tracks at one time? But from Octaviars' description, Roon quickly downloads one track at a time and only starts the download at the commencement of the track playing.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Euphony / Stylus will load your entire queue into RAM and it plays from there. I am not sure this necessarily results in a sonic increase since I find streaming from Qobuz to sound better at times. (None of this is with an Extreme, obviously).

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
So to clarify, with Audirvana, it sounds like you can download multiple tracks at one time? But from Octaviars' description, Roon quickly downloads one track at a time and only starts the download at the commencement of the track playing.

Yes, it depends on how much memory you reserve for tracks pre load. I my case I have 1 GB allocated. This is good for several tracks. During playback my network (wifi) is turned off.

Edit: I am referring to streaming from Qobuz only, I have no local files.

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
... an ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem and replaced the cheap SMPS with a LPS .

Hi Steve. Can you tell me what LPS you are using? I tried an iFi iPower, just because I had one around, but even though the specs and barrel plug matched, the modem would not power on. Would be happy to purchase the LPS you are using, knowing that it works.

-Gerry

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I also purchased an ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem and replaced the cheap SMPS with a LPS . Also I replaced the SMPS on the Orbi Satellite in my sound room with a second LPS. Those changes helped my sound quality immensely. As Emile stated when I built my sound room I did not factor in bring coax cable into the sound room. My only option short of bringing cable from downstairs to my sound room through the walls and ceiling was to stream wirelessly which I have done from day1 and have been totally immersed in the sound.

Steve,
this is exactly my desired WiFi configuration. Unfortunately the Arris SB8200 seems not to work in Germany.
May I ask which LPSs you use?
Thanks

Matt

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Emile recommended several to me which are used by members here but they were twice the amount of the simple SBooster of which I purchased 2

one for my cable modem and the other for the Orbi satellite in my sound room

sbooster.com

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,
this is exactly my desired WiFi configuration. Unfortunately the Arris SB8200 seems not to work in Germany.
May I ask which LPSs you use?
Thanks

Matt
Hi Matt

I merely did a google search of approved cable modems by my cable company and I wanted a current DOCSIS 3.1

There is a great thread here on cable modems which provide an enormous amount of information.

https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/cable-modems.30094/

Reactions: matthias

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
I dont know if this applies to all Roon core machines but mine downloads the song instantly from Qobuz when I hit play. I can see the activity at my routers SFP port being high for a couple of seconds when I hit play then it goes down. So effectively I can disconnect my network and it will finish the song anyway.

I did not realize this, so I just did a quick test, and you are right. However, the behavior varies, so let's tease it apart. First, let's clarify we're talking about the case of a standalone Core directly attached to a DAC — i.e. there is no intervening RAAT communication to an endpoint.

So Roon build 571's network behavior is different based on source:
  • When does preload start: when you hit play
  • Qobuz/streaming sources:
    • download current track at network speed
    • appears to preload enough of next track to maintain gapless, but full track download appears to only happen when the track becomes current. This is different from Stylus (below).
  • Local network files from a NAS or SMB share:
    • no preload!!
    • Appears to be doing normal file reads, which results in some read-ahead, but not a full download.
  • Local files on SSD
    • did not test, but not relevant to network traffic.
In contrast, let's look at Euphony/Stylus.

Euphony / Stylus will load your entire queue into RAM and it plays from there. I am not sure this necessarily results in a sonic increase since I find streaming from Qobuz to sound better at times. (None of this is with an Extreme, obviously).

As one of the instigators that drove Željko to deliver this feature, sorry to hear that! For me, the effect of RAM caching the entire queue has always been dramatic. However, the behavior here is also different based on source:
  • When does preload start:
    • Either when you hit play, OR
    • Click on "Buffer Queue to RAM." This allows you to wait for network activity to quiesce before you hit play.
  • Tracks from Qobuz/streaming sources:
    • download current and next track at network speed
    • when next track becomes current, download the following track at network speed, and so on
    • In other words, at most 2 tracks (current and next) are buffered
  • Local network files from a NAS or SMB share:
    • download all tracks at network speed, up to limit of RAM buffer (tunable option).
  • Local files on SSD
    • did not test, but not relevant to network traffic.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I did not realize this, so I just did a quick test, and you are right. However, the behavior varies, so let's tease it apart. First, let's clarify we're talking about the case of a standalone Core directly attached to a DAC — i.e. there is no intervening RAAT communication to an endpoint.

So Roon build 571's network behavior is different based on source:

How did you figure this out? Were you monitoring something?

wil

Jul 22, 2015
This is what Roon says about their "Maximum Buffer Size" selection. They don't explain why...." it's probably best to leave it off."

Use Max Hardware Buffer Size (CoreAudio Exclusive Mode + ASIO only)
This setting causes Roon to use the largest buffer size supported by your device. This setting is a problem-solver, and can reduce dropouts, clicks, and pops with some hardware devices.
If you're not having problems, it's probably best to leave it off.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing