Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Oh, never mind. Now that I've had my first cup of coffee I realized I can go into my Extreme, check the Windows "Settings" and find out which ethernet connection is "Tweaked" (#2 in my case).

Steve Z

Good thing I checked. My Tweaked Ethernet is also #2, not #1.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Should we all be checking which adapter (#1 or #2) we are using or is the "tweaked" naming just for Extremes which were put into service over a year ago?

Neither of my adapters is named "tweaked."

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Just to confirm, for those like me who made the switch from fiber to copper, we should pull out the SFP module right? leaving the module in there but without a cable is not sufficient?

I'm having real trouble pulling it out- the slot is too tight. Is the best way to open up the Extreme and remove the card to do so?

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
What was the issue so if it happens we don't need to trouble Emile?
I wish I could enlighten but Emile works fast -- he took a look at the properties of the NICs, re-labeled one of them, and I think changed some properties. Whatever it was it was something with my minimal knowledge of what's going on under the hood in Windows that I wouldn't have figured out on my own.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Steve Z

Reactions: heebrog

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Just to confirm, for those like me who made the switch from fiber to copper, we should pull out the SFP module right? leaving the module in there but without a cable is not sufficient?

I'm having real trouble pulling it out- the slot is too tight. Is the best way to open up the Extreme and remove the card to do so?
That's what I had to do.

Reactions: jelt2359

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012

Emile said it might make a slight difference in sound quality however it is not necessary to pull the SFP. Just pull the fiber to the SFP. That's how I've left it in my case and I readily hear the difference in presentation and sound quality between copper and fiber. I've left my SFP installed because as you say, it is a tight fit and also because I plan to revisit fiber in a week or two to contrast it against copper once I've gotten used to the copper. I often find that going A/B/A often brings differences into sharper relief after I've had some time to adapt to the new sound quality of a device or setting.

Steve Z

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021

@jelt2359 per previous post I made, it is finickly, but possible to use a small screwdriver to depress the small latch-lock, which allows removal of SFP.

Attachments

• 6ECAB21D-226F-406D-A3FF-7F79E137FE0A.jpeg
    6ECAB21D-226F-406D-A3FF-7F79E137FE0A.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 16

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Emile said it might make a slight difference in sound quality however it is not necessary to pull the SFP. Just pull the fiber to the SFP. That's how I've left it in my case and I readily hear the difference in presentation and sound quality between copper and fiber. I've left my SFP installed because as you say, it is a tight fit and also because I plan to revisit fiber in a week or two to contrast it against copper once I've gotten used to the copper. I often find that going A/B/A often brings differences into sharper relief after I've had some time to adapt to the new sound quality of a device or setting.

Steve Z
Totally agree. You have to do an A-B-A test but I’m betting copper comes out the winner

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Thanks guys. I'll try it. Even switching Lan 1 to Lan 2 (Tweaked) made a discernible difference, so ready to try everything at this point.

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
@jelt2359 per previous post I made, it is finickly, but possible to use a small screwdriver to depress the small latch-lock, which allows removal of SFP.
Update: this worked. For those who are looking to try it, I had to pull the handle back to open up the latch lock slightly, wedge a small screwdriver in there, then literally use the small screwdriver to keep wedging in a circular motion and effectively using that small screwdriver to pull it out (the handle didn't work).

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Every Extreme shipped after 25-06-2020 has the tweaked network adapter at the port labelled LAN1 on the back of the Extreme.

Every Extreme which shipped before that date has been updated remotely with the network adapter in use tweaked. Most of those where LAN1, if it was LAN2 you have been notified we tweaked LAN2 because that was the one you were using.

In case of @oldmustang his tweaked network port was LAN1, the confusion arose from looking at the wrong screen where network adapters are labelled “Ethernet connection #1, #2, #3 etc” which does not correspond with the labelling on the rear, this order is based on which connection first became active. If you disable, then re-enable “Ethernet connection #1” for example it then becomes “Ethernet connection #4”.

I understand this may come across as confusing so I will post a few screenshots tomorrow on how to verify this.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Quick question: If I plug a music laden thumb drive into the back of my Extreme will it be recognized thereby allowing immediate playing of tracks?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Every Extreme shipped after 25-06-2020 has the tweaked network adapter at the port labelled LAN1 on the back of the Extreme.

Every Extreme which shipped before that date has been updated remotely with the network adapter in use tweaked. Most of those where LAN1, if it was LAN2 you have been notified we tweaked LAN2 because that was the one you were using.

In case of @oldmustang his tweaked network port was LAN1, the confusion arose from looking at the wrong screen where network adapters are labelled “Ethernet connection #1, #2, #3 etc” which does not correspond with the labelling on the rear, this order is based on which connection first became active. If you disable, then re-enable “Ethernet connection #1” for example it then becomes “Ethernet connection #4”.

I understand this may come across as confusing so I will post a few screenshots tomorrow on how to verify this.
I was using the fiber network when my Extreme was updated..what then?
I wasn't notified of anything regarding tweaked

Reactions: wil

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I was using the fiber network when my Extreme was updated..what then?
I wasn't notified of anything regarding tweaked

Then it should be applied on LAN1, and you weren't notified as you were using fiber. However the list order of NICs can be changed if something in the networking setup was changed, like disabling then re-enabling adapters, add a network card, install network card drivers etc.

Hi Emile. For Revanna user, should the tweaked network be used for internet connection or Revanna connection?

Internet connection.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thank you, Emile, and I hope you are doing both great and greatly!

You're welcome and thank you for asking. I'm doing great, finally had my Pfizer shots which does increase the feeling of security. Although I know many people who caught Covid with minimal to no symptoms, I also know quite a lot who have been very sick with lengthy recovery periods. I feel blessed having dodged that bullet so far.

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
I'm still waiting on my second Moderna shot!

BTW, just curious- why not apply the tweaks on both Ethernet ports?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing