Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

When it comes to selectable color schemes, I will cast a vote for something in a “dark” theme that is not so high contrast as black background and white text. As much as I like a dark background when I am listening in low light situation at night, high contrast is tough on these old eyeballs — I look up and see streaks it takes time for my eyes to balance out again.

The teaser is very nice, seems the background is a dark gray, and in some spots text is light gray or orange, like BMW dashboard or airplane cockpit. Thanks for being respectful of our aging eyeballs.

If XDMS SQ to Taiko’s ears is superior to any software we have yet to hear on the Extreme - through TAS , Roon or otherwise. I will gladly accept any graphical interface that plays a song to that effect. All gravy at that point. Thank you to the team for taking on this monumental project and creating something previously unforeseen. will eagerly and patiently await.

Last edited:
If XDMS SQ to Taiko’s ears is superior to any software we have yet to hear on the Extreme - through TAS , Roon or otherwise. I will gladly accept any graphical interface that plays a song to that effect. All gravy at that point. Thank you to team for taking on this monumental project. will eagerly and patiently await.
Totally agree. Plus when Emile goes underground you can bet that he’s into something big and he’s been somewhat inconspicuous. This rollout and everything involved has been a multi year task and a multi man job. Emile has delivered every thing up till now. My guess is XDMS will be a walk off home run

So I finally have figured out the "logo" and what bothers me. It really isn't so much as the color but rather the shape of the new one. I love the squared off feature of the original logo . This new logo is curved rather than edged. It kinda looks like a partly open paper clip6F59E718-ADA0-47B3-89C8-DD2E0BDE4474_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: iain and tima
We would not release XDMS with out a significant step up in SQ LoL

I can confirm that during testing on Wednesday April, 13 with further plumbing upgrades, the SQ was a big notch higher than my previous test

Wonderful, that plus gapless is all I want here.

And I'll take mine in any color you choose!

Reactions: oldmustang
If XDMS SQ to Taiko’s ears is superior to any software we have yet to hear on the Extreme - through TAS , Roon or otherwise. I will gladly accept any graphical interface that plays a song to that effect. All gravy at that point. Thank you to the team for taking on this monumental project and creating something previously unforeseen. will eagerly and patiently await.
Indeed! For me, only the SQ matters. I´d gladly sacrifice function and design layout for the superiority of the SQ.

Reactions: ctydwn
So I finally have figured out the "logo" and what bothers me. It really isn't so much as the color but rather the shape of the new one. I love the squared off feature of the original logo . This new logo is curved rather than edged. It kinda looks like a partly open paper clipView attachment 91748

Or someone cracking a whip. :p

Glad you were able to put into words what your mind seized upon. I hope you weren't put off by addressing their web designer with a likely conclusion through a response directed at you.

Or someone cracking a whip. :p

Glad you were able to put into words what your mind seized upon. I hope you weren't put off by addressing their web designer with a likely conclusion through a response directed at you.
Edward and I had a big laugh when co-designing the above screenshots. While this was intended as tongue-in-cheek humor, we are actually working on implementing additional customization, including the Taiko Logo.

Does anyone ever hear a slight pop when TAS starts the next DSD file? I noticed it yesterday and think the issue is new.

I love it. Your team is truly responsive to any comments from the peanut gallery because like others who continue to use TAS it is all about SQ . Those graphics look beautiful BTW
Hi Steve, we are still making adjustments every day and the above screenshots are not fully definitive but we are getting super-close. These are exciting times for us, too!

Does anyone ever hear a slight pop when TAS starts the next DSD file? I noticed it yesterday and think the issue is new.
I do and talked to Fred about it. It seems to happen when the format switches in the playlist from hires PCM to DSD. It's not a big deal. Fred told ne he would ask Lukasz but it is always there. Fred wonders if it is auto mute or USB firmware

I do and talked to Fred about it. It seems to happen when the format switches in the playlist from hires PCM to DSD. It's not a big deal. Fred told ne he would ask Lukasz but it is always there. Fred wonders if it is auto mute or USB firmware
IOW is it related to the Horizon or to the Extreme. I thought it was related to the Horizon as I never had that sound before I got my Horizon

So you think it is an Horizon issue, not TAS? I was wondering about that too. I we should have a forum for Extreme/Horizon owners!

I get the pop even when there isn't a format switch but it seems only with DSD.

So you think it is an Horizon issue, not TAS? I was wondering about that too. I we should have a forum for Extreme/Horizon owners!

I get the pop even when there isn't a format switch but it seems only with DSD.
You might be correct as it does seem to happen with DSD but it seems to be heard when the format changes.

First time poster here, having recently placed an order for the Extreme. I have a question: from what I have read, the legacy SGM 2015 server was typically used to oversample / convert files to DXD or DSD before being sent to whichever DAC was in use, since removing this computational overhead from the DAC itself was found to bring sound quality benefits. There seems to have been a change in philosophy with the Extreme, however, such that its use in ‘bit perfect‘ mode is advocated, with any upsampling / format conversion being done within whichever DAC is in use. Have I understood this correctly? If so, why the change in approach…?

First time poster here, having recently placed an order for the Extreme. I have a question: from what I have read, the legacy SGM 2015 server was typically used to oversample / convert files to DXD or DSD before being sent to whichever DAC was in use, since removing this computational overhead from the DAC itself was found to bring sound quality benefits. There seems to have been a change in philosophy with the Extreme, however, such that its use in ‘bit perfect‘ mode is advocated, with any upsampling / format conversion being done within whichever DAC is in use. Have I understood this correctly? If so, why the change in approach…?

The SGM2015 was designed and produced by us for Sound Galleries Monaco to their specification, it is therefor branded "Sound Galleries". The Extreme was designed by us for us, it is therefor branded "Taiko Audio". The design philosophies are fundamentally different.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu