Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
I‘ve really been enjoying my time with the Extreme since getting it and learning how to get the most out of it. I had managed to get it sounding at least as good as the demo model that I had which Ed (I think?) set up for me. I didn’t want to mess around with that one because it wasn’t mine and I feared screwing it up. Once I got my own unit, I was happy to pile in and get my hands dirty.

Recently, it didn’t seem to be sounding quite as good and I twigged that it was after the recent Roon upgrade, so I started to wonder about that and I remembered that I had made some changes like deleting the DSP filters which someone on here (Christoph?) had recommended. I’ve no idea how/why, but these things in total did yield a noticeable upgrade in sound quality. But installing the latest Roon update re-introduced everything that I had edited out or changed previously.

The need to check such things after a Roon upgrade may be stating the obvious to many on here, but I thought it worth mentioning as I hadn’t thought about it. I will in future and I am now nicely tee’d up with great sound quality again. I am curious about XDMS but I can easily wait as I have no complaints about the sound I am getting from Roon. If XDMS is clearly better, and I do see how it could well be, that will just be icing on a very nice cake for me.

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
I have no complaints about the sound I am getting from Roon. If XDMS is clearly better, and I do see how it could well be, that will just be icing on a very nice cake for me.

+1 @Malcng

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I‘ve really been enjoying my time with the Extreme since getting it and learning how to get the most out of it. I had managed to get it sounding at least as good as the demo model that I had which Ed (I think?) set up for me. I didn’t want to mess around with that one because it wasn’t mine and I feared screwing it up. Once I got my own unit, I was happy to pile in and get my hands dirty.

Recently, it didn’t seem to be sounding quite as good and I twigged that it was after the recent Roon upgrade, so I started to wonder about that and I remembered that I had made some changes like deleting the DSP filters which someone on here (Christoph?) had recommended. I’ve no idea how/why, but these things in total did yield a noticeable upgrade in sound quality. But installing the latest Roon update re-introduced everything that I had edited out or changed previously.

The need to check such things after a Roon upgrade may be stating the obvious to many on here, but I thought it worth mentioning as I hadn’t thought about it. I will in future and I am now nicely tee’d up with great sound quality again. I am curious about XDMS but I can easily wait as I have no complaints about the sound I am getting from Roon. If XDMS is clearly better, and I do see how it could well be, that will just be icing on a very nice cake for me.
Interesting
My Roon settings never change with an update

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Nor Mine..

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
That’s interesting. I‘ve used Roon for a few years now, but I have never checked any of the settings after an update on the assumption that they wouldn’t have been changed. This latest update, I noticed a change in sound so I re-visited the notes on optimising Roon which led me to checking everything off. I have always set DSP filters to off in the past, but I had never thought of deleting them altogether until visiting this forum. Having deleted them as suggested, they were definitely right back after the recent update, albeit set to off. So I deleted them and made some other adjustments to things that seemed to have changed and my sound quality was back to how it was before.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
That’s interesting. I‘ve used Roon for a few years now, but I have never checked any of the settings after an update on the assumption that they wouldn’t have been changed. This latest update, I noticed a change in sound so I re-visited the notes on optimising Roon which led me to checking everything off. I have always set DSP filters to off in the past, but I had never thought of deleting them altogether until visiting this forum. Having deleted them as suggested, they were definitely right back after the recent update, albeit set to off. So I deleted them and made some other adjustments to things that seemed to have changed and my sound quality was back to how it was before.
Do you feel the sound changed because you made changes or because you deleted the DSP filters (even with them not in use)?

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
Do you feel the sound changed because you made changes or because you deleted the DSP filters (even with them not in use)?

First time around, I thought the suggestion to delete the filters seemed a bit much tbh, but I’m open minded and will try anything so long as it can be reversed so I tried it and it did offer an improvement. How, I have no idea but try it if you haven’t already done so. It’s an odd one for sure and some may ridicule the idea - that was kind of my initial reaction - but it was good for me and several others have said similar.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Headroom management, sample rate, speaker setup filters, these are all fixed, you cannot delete them. Am I missing something? How could SQ change if they are not engaged? No disrespect intended. I just don't understand?

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
@John T I don't get this, either. Hopefully someone can explain?

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
Headroom management, sample rate, speaker setup filters, these are all fixed, you cannot delete them. Am I missing something? How could SQ change if they are not engaged? No disrespect intended. I just don't understand?

The ones below those first two like Crossfeed, EQ etc can be deleted. Try that and see what you think.

I cannot explain it. It doesn’t seem logical, I agree, but several have mentioned it on here so I tried it. You can add them back in so no harm in trying.

Edit - see this thread for reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: John T

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Interesting. I let Roon update automatically and I don't see any filters (all were deleted previously).

There are two DSP modes that remain but are disabled: Headroom Management and Sample rate conversion.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
The effect of unused options in software being deleted having an audible effect has been observed for many years.

What's going on to cause these audible effects is Classified. If we told you, we would have to . . . . .

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
@EuroDriver Can you list the options in Roon that should be deleted? Thanks.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
@EuroDriver Can you list the options in Roon that should be deleted? Thanks.

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
Thanks, Steve.

Christiaan Punter

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
@Christiaan Punter @Steve Williams Done. Thanks for your assistance on this.

Three filters were listed and showed disabled. They are now deleted.

Very slight difference. Ever so lightly relaxed.

Thanks also to @christoph and @nonesup from the posts that Steve copied above.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I can’t Speak for taiko other an extremely well made device
but most all servers benifit of less threads and services running so it makes sense
also removing any drivers not being used as well.
the fact that roon adds these features and allows us to remove them is proof alone
I’ve been removing them always
cris on here schooled me on Roon years back

I wish they gave us the option to remove the last two as well.
if you upgrade it may add these back
but if you install a new end point or output it does add these as back. Not always but most times

has anyone tried sample rate conversion or vol control lol
it’s horrible to me.
be it super powerfull main boards or low power the effects are there
as for how much it changes I’m sure this is also a complex answer as some hear it more

I can’t say for linux only windows

Reactions: Malcng

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It’s a waist of time asking about sound quality period
the Roon gods are deaf it seems but they do fix things at times.
they are bits are bits and jitter or dsp observations don’t exist

if you want lite a fire ask why can’t we play iso files lol

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
One question specific to my DAC... as I went through the Taiko Extreme Roon Settings PDF:

Max Sample Rate within Roon is "Up to DSD512" The T+A SDV max sample rate is DSD1024.

I have selected "Error" for this setting.

Is this correct? Or would it be best to select DSD512?

Thanks.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing