Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Breaking in my new best friends (temporary rack situation) from Germany. XDMS/Extreme/Horizon performing their magic.
1666231814927.jpeg

1666231851211.jpeg

Attachments

• Heisenbergs3.JPG
    Heisenbergs3.JPG
    911.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn
Actually no. Agree it’s confusing. Took me a while to sort it out.
The Signal Hub is best for source or “signal” components, especially digital. The Chassis hub is best for amps, or as one unit for everything. It has nothing to do with how you connect the ground, but what you are grounding.
In my case I’m not grounding my amp, so I have no need for the Chassis hub. Shunyata has verified my setup.
In case Shunyata has verified his configuration and considers that a Server chassis should be connected to an Altaira Signal Ground and not to an Altaira Chasis Ground, this only confirms (and I am a good Shunyata customer) my conviction (for a long time). that its information policy is unclear to say the least.

In case Shunyata has verified his configuration and considers that a Server chassis should be connected to an Altaira Signal Ground and not to an Altaira Chasis Ground, this only confirms (and I am a good Shunyata customer) my conviction (for a long time). that its information policy is unclear to say the least.
Shunyatas own marketing for Altaira is clear as mud. I read their white papers and explored their product pages - I also discussed with my Dealer - none of that helped...

The fun part is that the Altaira's (Signal and Chassis boxes) will eventually by connected into the power distributor's grounding lug ;-)
(At least that is my understanding after reading all material I could find - clear as mud.)

Still - I am also a long-term Shunyata customer and I know their products to be good - so I'll explore Altaira including doing A|B in my own system but they will not win any price for product marketing and clear communication.

Sorry for the de-rail - this thread is about Taiko Extreme.

Last edited:
I'm concerned about periodic lightning storms in my area as well. Seems that unplugging the Everest (with the Extreme still plugged in) or a power outage to the unit for any reason should have the same SQ effect as switching the rear power switch off.
The Everest and Denali protect from that via the electromagnetic breaker that doesn’t need replacement like a standard fuse would. You don’t want to switch it on/off more than necessary though.

The Everest and Denali protect from that via the electromagnetic breaker that doesn’t need replacement like a standard fuse would. You don’t want to switch it on/off more than necessary though.
That's good to hear. I have an Everest incoming this week.

Reactions: cat6man and Nils
a short FYI interruption:

Amazon is having a sale on their previous version of the FireHD10 tablet (2019 version, android 9) now that the new version (2022 version, android 11) has come out.

For $49, this is a wonderful price for someone who wants a dedicated 10" tablet for controlling their extreme via TAS or XDMS.
I have been using one exclusively for this purpose since I first got my extreme and the android APK file is easily downloaded and installed.
I can confirm it works well with the latest APK for the XDMS alpha releases.

disclaimer: i am not related to Mr. Bezos and have no financial interest

Reactions: lordcloud and Nils
It seems that since Discord was enabled, the activity here has dropped quite a bit

It seems that since Discord was enabled, the activity here has dropped quite a bit

certainly true, but discord is mainly for discussing how the sausage is made. when the sausage is ready for the grill, i'm sure a lot of activity will return here............and the wait will have been worth it, trust me!

That’s because all you computer gurus are on Discord discussing bugs etc. Way too complicated for we mortals.

That’s because all you computer gurus are on Discord discussing bugs etc. Way too complicated for we mortals.

yup, discord is all about getting the bugs out of the sausage before you eat it!

I'd better get hip on Discord, because I have had quite a few problems with XDMS hanging up on me for extended periods (no music!!!), and then mysteriously working again. I'm starting to develop superstitious "chicken dance" imaginings for what agency I have to influence these events. Maybe folks on Discord have this all sorted already.....

Oh, and I've been using XDMS since Friday, and when it works, it is spectacular!

I'd better get hip on Discord, because I have had quite a few problems with XDMS hanging up on me for extended periods (no music!!!), and then mysteriously working again. I'm starting to develop superstitious "chicken dance" imaginings for what agency I have to influence these events. Maybe folks on Discord have this all sorted already.....

Oh, and I've been using XDMS since Friday, and when it works, it is spectacular!
Discord is very simple. Basically just a message board and the XDMS section has a variety of topics related to aspects of XDMS bugs, fixes and development.

Steve Z

Reactions: John T and ctydwn

i haven‘t had any such issues and have been using XDMS for a few weeks. Could it be your DAC or connection to the DAC?

I do find a big drop in SQ after around 5(?) days. Still sounds good, but the “magic” is not there; hard to describe. Restarting the Extreme fixes it.

i haven‘t had any such issues and have been using XDMS for a few weeks. Could it be your DAC or connection to the DAC?

I do find a big drop in SQ after around 5(?) days. Still sounds good, but the “magic” is not there; hard to describe. Restarting the Extreme fixes it.
Could be anything causing, possibly my Pacific with Amenero input is an issue (some times). A friend with a Horizon with XMOS input is having similar problems, too. Can't wait for the Beta!!!

certainly true, but discord is mainly for discussing how the sausage is made. when the sausage is ready for the grill, i'm sure a lot of activity will return here............and the wait will have been worth it, trust me!
Nicely put! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu