Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

That’s a big if for me. I’ll have to think about the economics of it, including how I may have to ship the extreme back to get the bps installed (unless it’s diy like the usb card?). And anyway that’s a while away. What’s clear to me is I can use a 7m cable where a 0.5m cable may normally fit, but the opposite is not the case. And if Emile would fail a blind test (being the only one here who’s heard it at length), I’ll take flexibility for now.

If Emile preferred short, I would rethink this :)

That’s a big if for me. I’ll have to think about the economics of it, including how I may have to ship the extreme back to get the bps installed (unless it’s diy like the usb card?). And anyway that’s a while away. What’s clear to me is I can use a 7m cable where a 0.5m cable may normally fit, but the opposite is not the case. And if Emile would fail a blind test (being the only one here who’s heard it at length), I’ll take flexibility for now.

If Emile preferred short, I would rethink this :)
There are lots of passive DAC copper twinax cables for sale out there on the internet. It is a standard for connecting server stacks in the IT world. $30 USD or so. So it's easy enough to get one if the one included by Taiko for you is too long or too short.

Steve Z

Thanks for the info- do you know if different brands of these cables sound different from one another, by any chance?

Thanks for the info- do you know if different brands of these cables sound different from one another, by any chance?
I have no direct experience with this. But audiophiles being audiophiles. . .

I seem to recall that Emile said nothing that he could identify in a blind listening test.

Steve

Reactions: John T
Love the thought that a $30 cable could be all that is needed for that application. Could all these innovations eliminate the need for more expensive interconnects down the chain as well? I will dream of this panacea tonight regardless…

So... it's Cat 6 RJ45 from my current router into the SFP+ on the new Taiko switch. Output from the new switch is SFP+ connected by passive DAC copper twinax cable (supplied by Taiko) to the network card's SFP+ ...is that correct?

...I think that is correct. I also think there may be an adapter for the RJ45 input *to* the switch. I recall Emile noting that previously, but he can confirm at some point. The order page asks to specify the input type: RJ45 or fiber.

...I think that is correct. I also think there may be an adapter for the RJ45 input *to* the switch. I recall Emile noting that previously, but he can confirm at some point. The order page asks to specify the input type: RJ45 or fiber.
That makes sense and I recall that now. I mixed up an earlier post from Emile today about RJ45 being his preferred input but on looking again that was for the new router. So I'm hoping to relocate the earlier discussion about ordering RJ45 vs.fiber input to the new switch.

Last edited:
In fact it affects both almost to an equal degree. Sorry to be the bearer of "bad news".
Scratching my head. I trust you guys, but it makes no a priori sense for a network switch to affect local file playback.

That makes sense and I recall that now. I mixed up an earlier post from Emile today about RJ45 being his preferred input but on looking again that was for the new router. So I'm hoping to relocate the earlier discussion about ordering RJ45 vs.fiber input to the new switch.
@Taiko Audio: Can you explain why when ordering only the switch option you get choices between RJ45, Fiber and different DAC lengths for the SPF Output+; but when you order the switch/network card combo, you only get choices between different DAC lengths for the SPF Output+ and not for RJ45 or Fiber?

to all the switch zealots......do they need to be seated on a rack or is the floor sufficient. I ask only to try to determine which length cable I need to order

It does react to what it’s seated on, I’m not a fan of carpet, likewise it will also respond to footers but what’s fitted is very good.

Reactions: oldmustang
Thanks! I will go with 7m then to maintain more flexibility with regards to placement.

No guarantees for turning it into a wire coil to not affect sound, I would get the length you need but you can always do this:
There are lots of passive DAC copper twinax cables for sale out there on the internet. It is a standard for connecting server stacks in the IT world. $30 USD or so. So it's easy enough to get one if the one included by Taiko for you is too long or too short.

Steve Z

@Taiko Audio: Can you explain why when ordering only the switch option you get choices between RJ45, Fiber and different DAC lengths for the SPF Output+; but when you order the switch/network card combo, you only get choices between different DAC lengths for the SPF Output+ and not for RJ45 or Fiber?

Because if you‘re not getting the network card you have more choices to make.

I also prefer RJ45 for the switch. The SFP fiber modules consume more power, more power = higher noise. Fiber isolation is irrelevant with this switch.

Correct, if you select RJ45 you get a RJ45 SFP module, if you select Fiber you get a Fiber SFP module.

Emile - can UK customers use your site to order direct from Taiko? Or do you require us to order from local distributor / dealer?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing