Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I tried that, it shows that it is connected to the Extreme along with my serial number. SGM controller not available. Also where you switch between Roon/TAS both show stopped.

Your router has assigned a new IP address to the Extreme. In TAS you can fetch the new IP address by pressing this button:

EF15F724-EAAE-48C3-A33C-DB5B0DF40218.jpeg

I too have a digital only main system (I have a record player in my second system mainly as a historical conversation piece ), and I agree with what you say, Roon has many positive attributes, and sounds very good on the Extrene.

However, after I first heard TAS I literally never used Roon again on the Extreme, the sound quality trumped any UI drawbacks & lack of discoverability for me. I joined the XDMS alpha program and was even happier with that. Then around the turn of the year a back end update was released for XDMS which took things to a whole new level of engagement, with the tantalising prospect of even more to come, especially in conjunction with the switch & router. Although XDMS is not going to replace Roon features like multi room, I’d say you are in for a very big and very pleasant sound quality surprise when you try it!

I still use Roon btw, I really value the discoverability, I just don’t run it on the Extreme through my main system any more.
I started using TAS when it was in alpha with a crappy platform BUT when I heard it even in it's infancy stage I knew I couldn't go back to Roon...and I haven't in 4 years. Having said that however , alll I can say is once XDMS goes beta and it is opened to every Extreme user you will be gobsmacked and I would suggest to you that it becomes an end game move. With the previous XDMS build , it finally included a switch to go from XDMS to Roon. Yesterday was the first time in years I was on Roon. It definitely sounds better and according to Emile the new network card and switch makes a big uptick in Roon BUT at the end of 20 minutes I switched back to XDMS.

Reactions: Zeotrope and John T
Might be stating the obvious here, but I always apply a static IP address to all my audio Video devices to avoid the frustration when this occurs.

Me too and I am surprised this is not how the Extreme is set up. I guess there is a reason for that.

Me too and I am surprised this is not how the Extreme is set up. I guess there is a reason for that.
Well, it would cause more problems if a end-user isn't savvy enough to reserve the static IP assignment on their router (which many are not). Would just create IP address conflicts if you want compatibility with DHCP.

I have mine on a completely separate VLAN where it is the only IP in that subnet with a static IP. I use the "Manual Config" section in TAS to connect, works well but a couple more clicks.

If you have Tailscale running on your router (I do with pfsense) you can control your Taiko from anywhere in the world :)

Might be stating the obvious here, but I always apply a static IP address to all my audio Video devices to avoid the frustration when this occurs.
I totally agree. I have talked to the Taiko team about getting a static IP address

Has to be applied through the router, the Extreme can’t do it by itself.

That's not how I have done it. I set the static IP on the network card.

Reactions: Armsan and Malcng
That's not how I have done it. I set the static IP on the network card.
The problem with that is if the router (or technically your DHCP server) is unaware of this setting, there is the potential for the same IP to be assigned to another device.
You have to either reserve that IP on the DHCP server or set the scope of DHCP address assignments to exclude that IP.

It's only a matter of time before a conflict happens otherwise.

The problem with that is if the router (or technically your DHCP server) is unaware of this setting, there is the potential for the same IP to be assigned to another device.
You have to either reserve that IP on the DHCP server or set the scope of DHCP address assignments to exclude that IP.

It's only a matter of time before a conflict happens otherwise.

I realize that is possible. For some reason I have never had that happen.

It’s impossible to do that right now from a customer service POV. An IP address conflict for example would render the Extreme inaccessible, same for changing your router ending up with a different subnet, that could be solved by changing network ports, but it would be a support nightmare. However, we are going to support this with the upcoming router as that would eliminate these issues.

With the new network cards coming soon, be careful with static IP addressing as the new network card will have a different Mac address (associated with the h/w).

I recently replaced a intermittently flaky PC with a new 11i5 NUC to run sagetv, my longtime PVR and the core of my video system. DHCP initially assigned a new IP address to the NUC, so I set the NUC to the old static IP......no dice.
It turns out I had long ago assigned that IP address statically on the router which associated it with the old Mac address. I had to update the Mac address of the static assignment on the router to get things working.

Since the new network card will have a different Mac address, look out for this if you used your router to set a static IP address.

Fetch will work fine if you don't care that the IP address changes.

With the new network cards coming soon, be careful with static IP addressing as the new network card will have a different Mac address (associated with the h/w).

I recently replaced a intermittently flaky PC with a new 11i5 NUC to run sagetv, my longtime PVR and the core of my video system. DHCP initially assigned a new IP address to the NUC, so I set the NUC to the old static IP......no dice.
It turns out I had long ago assigned that IP address statically on the router which associated it with the old Mac address. I had to update the Mac address of the static assignment on the router to get things working.

Since the new network card will have a different Mac address, look out for this if you used your router to set a static IP address.

Fetch will work fine if you don't care that the IP address changes.
I can only wish I was half as Tech savvy as some of you. I know we all have our own refined quality's, I think I would gladly trade a few in for some advanced computer technical skills....Its like I have an intentional firewall...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing