Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

well I'm feeling good about a tomorrow deliver @Rhapsody as I just received an update of a revised time of delivery tomorrow. It was by 400PM . Delivery is now tomorrow between 1000-200

Im betting everyone gets them tomorrow
That's amazing to me. I never see anything move through Memphis that fast.

Economy here as well. Don't let them bill Taiko for Priority for all of these.

Steve's must have gone through as Priority.

Economy here as well. Don't let them bill Taiko for Priority for all of these.

Steve's must have gone through as Priority.
Well ....my switch and network card was supposed to be priority with all of the others but it turned out mine was standard delivery and arrived 2 days later after sitting in New Jersey for 4 days

Reactions: Ground Control
All of us sitting in the back seat of the station wagon asking -

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

All of us sitting in the back seat of the station wagon asking -

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
I'm sitting in the back seat clapping my hands singing, "if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands":)

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, take one down, pass it around, then 98 bottles of beer on the wall.

They used to make us sing that when on a hike at summer camp....60 years ago:)

Again, I am very pleasantly surprised by Taiko Audio's quick action/reaction.

In roughly one week :

- a problem is identified
- a replacement part is manufactured
- and sent to the switch/network-card buyers.

I received the bracket today.

Frankly, I am amazed ! :)

Ich habe nur eines zu sagen: Bravo !

I spent a LOT of money on HiFi components from a well established and known brand. I once received the wrong cable for one of these units. I had to wait... two months to receive the right cable! Not weeks, months! (I sold my whole system from this brand).

Again, I am very pleasantly surprised by Taiko Audio's quick action/reaction.

In roughly one week :

- a problem is identified
- a replacement part is manufactured
- and sent to the switch/network-card buyers.

I received the bracket today.

Frankly, I am amazed ! :)

Ich habe nur eines zu sagen: Bravo !

I spent a LOT of money on HiFi components from a well established and known brand. I once received the wrong cable for one of these units. I had to wait... two months to receive the right cable! Not weeks, months! (I sold my whole system from this brand).
Just tell us it corrected the problem

Can someone refresh my memory? Is the router the device which will allow off-loading of some instructions from the Extreme or is it the network card too?

Greetings. New member, full of gratitude for all the enthusiastic and wise posts I’ve enjoyed reading on this thread and others. Extremist since January '22. Currently running Switch with old network card and Taiko wall-wart PSU. Undecided re BPS and now shopping for a good linear PSU for the Switch.

I would love to read comments from folks who’ve tested stock Taiko vs. linear PSU units AND anyone who's compared 3rd party power supplies on the Switch. Why did you choose your PSU over the others available?

Reactions: MusicFellow
Greetings. New member, full of gratitude for all the enthusiastic and wise posts I’ve enjoyed reading on this thread and others. Extremist since January '22. Currently running Switch with old network card and Taiko wall-wart PSU. Undecided re BPS and now shopping for a good linear PSU for the Switch.

I would love to read comments from folks who’ve tested stock Taiko vs. linear PSU units AND anyone who's compared 3rd party power supplies on the Switch. Why did you choose your PSU over the others available?
Hi Opabin,
I wrote about the Ediscreation Firebird LPS last year.
It was my favorite and my plan was to use it for my coming Extreme Switch.

I'm surprised by Plixir launching a new flagship LPS named Statement this month and I have auditioned it just now.
It's as good as Firedird but with a diff character.

IMG_20230222_082319.jpg

Stay tuned. I will write a short review about it very soon.
;)

Can someone refresh my memory? Is the router the device which will allow off-loading of some instructions from the Extreme or is it the network card too?
The latest router document from Christiaan outlines the router capabilities pretty well. The router eventually could be able to do some streaming pre-processing for Roon and/or run some parts of XDMS, thus relieving the Extreme from those processes.

The new card and switch allow other processes (digital stream error correction chiefly) to occur with less burden on the Extreme.

Steve Z

Last edited:
Reactions: John T

Welcome Opabin!

So far I've only compared the Taiko switch powered by the included SMPS wall wart to an Uptone Audio JS-2 with one rail set to 12 VDC. The JS-2 has way more ampacity available than the switch requires (approx 0.5 amps). I find it does sound better than the included SMPS.

I chose the JS-2 because I had one sitting idle that had previously supplied a Mac Mini modded with the Uptone power supply and fan mods.

The combination sounds wonderful with the new network card.

Steve Z

Hi Opabin,
I wrote about the Ediscreation Firebird LPS last year.
It was my favorite and my plan was to use it for my coming Extreme Switch.

I'm surprised by Plixir launching a new flagship LPS named Statement this month and I have auditioned it just now.
It's as good as Firedird but with a diff character.

View attachment 106154

Stay tuned. I will write a short review about it very soon.
;)

Hi CK,
Many thanks for starting this monster thread and for all your many helpful comments! Plixir's existing options look good, so I’m looking forward to your review of Statement. Will check out Ediscreation Firebird; also interested in FARAD Super3 and Ferrum HYPSOS. A fairly compact PSU would work best in my case, but I’m curious how audible are differences between various units.

Reactions: MusicFellow

I use 8 Teddy Pardo LPS units in my system, including with the Switch. Haven’t done any comparisons though…

Welcome Opabin!

So far I've only compared the Taiko switch powered by the included SMPS wall wart to an Uptone Audio JS-2 with one rail set to 12 VDC. The JS-2 has way more ampacity available than the switch requires (approx 0.5 amps). I find it does sound better than the included SMPS.

I chose the JS-2 because I had one sitting idle that had previously supplied a Mac Mini modded with the Uptone power supply and fan mods.

The combination sounds wonderful with the new network card.

Steve Z
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Coincidentally, I do already have an Uptone JS-2, but it is busy powering my router and a TV box on a different rack. It’s a very flexible and capable unit, isn’t it, and I believe it would do very well for the Switch. But just for variety sake, I’m probably going to look elsewhere. Just need one rail.

I don’t suppose you spent much time with the Taiko SMPS, but do you recall the most important musical gains with your JS-2?

Reactions: oldmustang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu