Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Coincidentally, I do already have an Uptone JS-2, but it is busy powering my router and a TV box on a different rack. It’s a very flexible and capable unit, isn’t it, and I believe it would do very well for the Switch. But just for variety sake, I’m probably going to look elsewhere. Just need one rail.

I don’t suppose you spent much time with the Taiko SMPS, but do you recall the most important musical gains with your JS-2?
You are very welcome.

The Taiko switch with SMPS is very good but in comparison to the JS-2 the presentation is a little brash and forward. The JS-2 in contrast is more liquid and sounds a little more "in control" if that makes sense. More relaxed.

Steve Z

Reactions: RUIN*ish and Opabin
Can someone refresh my memory? Is the router the device which will allow off-loading of some instructions from the Extreme or is it the network card too?

That is the switch - networkcard combo. The Router can set general network parameters and reduce traffic on the audio network segment.

Reactions: dminches
Standard Economy also......

We just checked but all packages were in fact submitted as Fedex Priority. We do use a “qty ship” plugin to book and generate shipping labels in stead of entering each order manually, perhaps the error is in that plugin. Will investigate.

You are very welcome.

The Taiko switch with SMPS is very good but in comparison to the JS-2 the presentation is a little brash and forward. The JS-2 in contrast is more liquid and sounds a little more "in control" if that makes sense. More relaxed.

Steve Z

Indeed, we do not recommend to use the supplied SMPS for ultimate SQ, it’s only provided for functionality. Although we could supply a LPS it would be a temporary solution in our portfolio as we’re moving towards offering battery powered solutions. This combined with the fact most of our customers already own one or more external power supplies made us decide against spending valuable resources on that.

Reactions: oldmustang
Again, I am very pleasantly surprised by Taiko Audio's quick action/reaction.

In roughly one week :

- a problem is identified
- a replacement part is manufactured
- and sent to the switch/network-card buyers.

I received the bracket today.

Frankly, I am amazed ! :)

Ich habe nur eines zu sagen: Bravo !

I spent a LOT of money on HiFi components from a well established and known brand. I once received the wrong cable for one of these units. I had to wait... two months to receive the right cable! Not weeks, months! (I sold my whole system from this brand).

Thank you for the compliment! This has been a bit of a challenging release as our first “large batch” manufacturing and shipping project but we’ve learned a lot and I’m sure we’ll have ironed out the kinks for the next large qty batches.

I’m particularly proud of our team, including the two currently on holiday at Cape Verde, as they have spend most of their time there aiding us remotely. I guess I own them another holiday :)

Hi Emile,
Happy to see that most of the WBF members here have got FedEx notification of their ordered Switches and/or network cards.

In HK, a significant proportion of Extreme Server owners are my friends, bcos I always give Extreme Server my highest recommendation to frds.
Most of them have placed orders of Switch/network card via Volent HK.
May I know if the package for Volent HK has been picked up by FedEx or not?

Many thanks!

Hi Emile,
Happy to see that most of the WBF members here have got FedEx notification of their ordered Switches and/or network cards.

In HK, a significant proportion of Extreme Server owners are my friends, bcos I always give Extreme Server my highest recommendation to frds.
Most of them have placed orders of Switch/network card via Volent HK.
May I know if the package for Volent HK has been picked up by FedEx or not?

Many thanks!

Hi CK,

Ben has received a few already but ordered quite a few, we have replaced the network card brackets on all the bundles still here and are now packing to ship out. Pickup will be either today or Monday.

Reactions: CKKeung
Hi CK,

Ben has received a few already but ordered quite a few, we have replaced the network card brackets on all the bundles still here and are now packing to ship out. Pickup will be either today or Monday.
Thanks Emile and your team for the hard work!

To be frank, I have been asked by most of my Extreme owner frds during the past several days.
(But I'm merely an Extreme owner also waiting for mine. :D )
They are reading WBF everyday!

Thanks Emile and your team for the hard work!

To be frank, I have been asked by most of my Extreme owner frds during the past several days.
(But I'm merely an Extreme owner also waiting for mine. :D )
They are reading WBF everyday!

I can imagine! :) On it!

Reactions: CKKeung
Thank you for the compliment! This has been a bit of a challenging release as our first “large batch” manufacturing and shipping project but we’ve learned a lot and I’m sure we’ll have ironed out the kinks for the next large qty batches.

I’m particularly proud of our team, including the two currently on holiday at Cape Verde, as they have spend most of their time there aiding us remotely. I guess I own them another holiday :)
Hi Emile,
With a 40+ year background in complex hi-tech, I have to say that your response to the bracket problem sets a new industry standard. Problems of this nature are easy to happen and difficult to avoid for 3 reasons.

1. What you discovered is that within the complexity of the whole Switch and NIC, one single manufacturing spec, namely the accuracy of the bend in the mounting bracket was not sufficiently tight and needed to be up-spec’d.
2. The reason it wasn’t discovered is that the last manufacturing step, namely the installation of the card into the server was carried out at the customers’ premises rather than at the factory, for obvious reasons.
3. Your quality control measures probably tested a few samples and found no problem. It was only when large numbers were tested that the problem was detected.

The only way to avoid this is with field installation tests, which you probably did. The problem is, it’s not feasible to field test in sufficient numbers to detect the problem, so this kind of issue, while unfortunate is really just a risk of field installs. Given Taiko’s response to the problem, both in communication and rectification, I would think that all customers would prefer this even with the problem vs. shipping an Extreme to the factory.
Did the problem actually occur in manufacturing or was it a shipping issue where the soft copper bracket became misaligned?
Its a shame it happened to slightly mar the roll out of an otherwise beautiful pair of products, however when problems do occur, its the response to them that really matters and your response was extraordinarily good.

BTW, thanks for the heads up that your new switch will work in my system. Good to know. The problem is, for a satisfactory installation on my side the switch would require extensive tweaking…. things like a new router, BPS and server, preferably one that runs XDMS . When I’m ready, I’ll give you a call and my wife and I will have a little holiday touring around the Netherlands. That way I get a new system and my wife gets a visit to Keukenhof, Delft and the Amsterdam galleries……”happy wife, happy life” as some very wise man once noted.

After Taiko switch is installed?

Greetings. New member, full of gratitude for all the enthusiastic and wise posts I’ve enjoyed reading on this thread and others. Extremist since January '22. Currently running Switch with old network card and Taiko wall-wart PSU. Undecided re BPS and now shopping for a good linear PSU for the Switch.

I would love to read comments from folks who’ve tested stock Taiko vs. linear PSU units AND anyone who's compared 3rd party power supplies on the Switch. Why did you choose your PSU over the others available?
I've been using Optimo DUO LPS by JCAT with my rig. When Taiko's switch gets here I'll power the switch/router with it. BPS for the future. I think @Rhapsody is selling one of his? Keep in mind you will need barrel connectors on one end. Opposite end is speakon connection in which I like a lot...

I've been using Optimo DUO LPS by JCAT with my rig. When Taiko's switch gets here I'll power the switch/router with it. BPS for the future. I think @Rhapsody is selling one of his? Keep in mind you will need barrel connectors on one end. Opposite end is speakon connection in which I like a lot...
I do have the Duo3 but only selling with the M12 switch that I have left (already sold one), not separately.

Reactions: John T
My bracket has been sitting in the FedEx facility in Oude Meer NL for 2 days. They must be very impressed with the new version and how it is packed. :)

• Haha
Reactions: marty and cat6man
You might find it strange taking advice from someone who doesn’t even own any Taiko equipment, but I have spent the past 3-4 years optimising my network and my findings are that when it comes to switches, the power supply is by far the most important component, along with the DC cable. Even the DC connectors play a role due to their impact on supply impedance.

If you are after the finest SQ possible, given the above, before you dive in to buying an LPS or DC cables I believe you are going to see quite a bit of discussion on the topic, so my advice…..don‘t pull the trigger too soon.

In the course of the last 4 years I have upgraded my network power supplies 6 times and each time I have made substantial gains to the purity, lucidity, speed, power, reality and emotional content of the final sound. IMO, each upgrade has more than warranted its expense and I have found NO diminishing returns in this area

I’m going to leave any recommendations to Taiko users who have heard various supplies, but my feeling is that there’s a huge range between ‘adequate’ and best. Logic tells me that the forthcoming BPS will be the very best, however for remote switches, where the BPS isn’t feasible, my experience is that the quality of the PS is critical, ditto the DC cable.

At some point perhaps Romaz, Nenon and Austinpop will chime in. They have extensive experience with various supplies and Nenon designed a DC cable based on JSSG360 screening and Mundorf Silver/Gold cable that in my system gave jaw dropping results, to the point my entire network‘s DC chain is wired with the stuff. I worried that it would be too much but the improvements just kept coming.

Welcome Opabin!

So far I've only compared the Taiko switch powered by the included SMPS wall wart to an Uptone Audio JS-2 with one rail set to 12 VDC. The JS-2 has way more ampacity available than the switch requires (approx 0.5 amps). I find it does sound better than the included SMPS.

I chose the JS-2 because I had one sitting idle that had previously supplied a Mac Mini modded with the Uptone power supply and fan mods.

The combination sounds wonderful with the new network card.

Steve Z
I chose my LPS as a stop gap for a few months as my ultimate goal is to power the switch and router with the BPS coming soon with the new Extreme.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu