Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

The llama lives!

While waiting for my bracket, I was playing around with streaming in my Tesla. They include a Tidal app but not Qobuz (unfortunately for me). I thought I would see if I could access archive.org's music library via the car's web browser.
Surprisingly I could and even more surprisingly I was playing music with the Winamp player!!!!
Remember it's debut c1997?

Obligatory taiko content: accessing mp3 streaming of music, sports and news would be a nice addition to the extreme server.

Attachments

• PXL_20230317_201656588.jpg
    PXL_20230317_201656588.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 17
The llama lives!

While waiting for my bracket, I was playing around with streaming in my Tesla. They include a Tidal app but not Qobuz (unfortunately for me). I thought I would see if I could access archive.org's music library via the car's web browser.
Surprisingly I could and even more surprisingly I was playing music with the Winamp player!!!!
Remember it's debut c1997?

Obligatory taiko content: accessing mp3 streaming of music, sports and news would be a nice addition to the extreme server.

Isn’t it already if you run Roon?

Reactions: oldmustang
You are very welcome.

The Taiko switch with SMPS is very good but in comparison to the JS-2 the presentation is a little brash and forward. The JS-2 in contrast is more liquid and sounds a little more "in control" if that makes sense. More relaxed.

Steve Z
I've been using the JS-2 for some time with both an SOtM swtich and more recently with the a Nordost switch (which was recently removed as it clearly had an issue with Roon buffering that Emile validated). I have a number of LPS units but the JS-2 appears to be the best of them. Since its capable of powering 2 rails, I thought that since the 2nd rail wasn't being used, I'd put it on my Orbi Netgear Satellite that streams my video wirelessly. I'm not a huge video afficionado by any means, but I couldn't help but notice that the video picture quality on the big Samsung enjoyed a very clear benefit by powering the Orbi w an LPS. Who knew? I love "free" upgrades like that. Looking forward to using it on switch/board, which should be arriving shortly.

At some point perhaps Romaz, Nenon and Austinpop will chime in. They have extensive experience with various supplies and Nenon designed a DC cable based on JSSG360 screening and Mundorf Silver/Gold cable that in my system gave jaw dropping results, to the point my entire network‘s DC chain is wired with the stuff. I worried that it would be too much but the improvements just kept coming.
Quite a few questions were asked about linear power supplies for the Taiko switch. Also, a few people asked me offline what I think, and so I decided to share some thoughts.

I have been optimizing a special 'mini' version of the Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC4 LPS for the Taiko switch in my system. I am doing this for myself. Those who know me also know how OCD I am and how much I hate making compromises. When this is ready, it will be (IMO) the ultimate LPS for the Taiko switch, and at least for me it would be the best LPS money can buy for that switch, bar none. I will provide the final recipe to Sean Jacobs, and he can decide whether to release this as a product or not. Obviously, those who are going with the BPS don't need that.

My findings so far are quite interesting. Every change in the LPS is audible with the Taiko switch. No surprise there. So if you like what a mediocre LPS does for the switch, you should really hear what a really good LPS can do.

The Taiko switch is one of the most transparent devices in my system. That's a curse and a blessing. Try a couple different network cables or a couple of different DC power cables, and you will quickly realize how each cable has its own sound signature. Power supplies are even worse - they all have their own sound. And given how transparent the Taiko switch is, you quickly get into a situation in which the power supply is embedding its own sound to the switch... a situation I don't like. IMO, the pure transparency of the Taiko switch is its highest value. As soon as you start adding other network components you start coloring the sound. And you lose something that Taiko has spent so much time to get right. That's why I have found it best to have as little network devices as possible and as simple LAN cables as possible. That gives me the highest level of transparency, which I value a lot.

Taiko presented a big challenge to me. You take a switch like the Buffalo switches I used to modify years ago, you add a power supply, and it sounds better. You add a better power supply, and it sounds even better. But the switch was so noisy (compared to the Taiko switch) that you don't really have to think about transparency or neutrality. You modify a gaming motherboard to build a server/streamer and the same thing happens. However, you take the Taiko switch, add a power supply, and you can immediately hear the signature of that power supply. Of course, all linear power supplies i have tried were better than the provided for functionality medical grade switching mode power supply. But it's hard to preserve the neutral sound Taiko has accomplished with this switch.

So, I had to go back to the drawing board and try to keep the excellent properties of the Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC4 but also try to make it as transparent and neutral for the Taiko switch as possible. For example, I don't think the Mundorf Silver/Gold wire that @Blackmorec mentioned, which has been my reference for years works that well with the Taiko switch. That process of refining the design while seeking the highest level of transparency and neutrality requires testing many different components, wires, connectors, etc. It takes time as those components need to go through a burn-in process. But rest assured I will leave no stones unturned until I get what I am looking for. I am doing this for me, not in a rush to release a new product or to build things to a price point. I'll take as much time as necessary to complete without taking any shortcuts.

The bottom line is the power supply feeding the switch makes a pretty big difference. The power cord feeding the power supply makes a difference too. If you have a compatible LPS laying around, give it a try. If you are waiting for the BPS, you may find an inexpensive LPS that you can buy and sell later at relatively small loss. Even with the supplied SMPS the Taiko switch is the best switch I have heard, but fed by a good LPS unlocks another level.

I’ve had the new @Taiko Audio switch about a week and as so many have shared it’s a stellar sonic addition even when using the supplied wall wart. Today I received a cable made by a friend to connect my @nenon built SJ DC4 to the switch. I thought I had an idea of how incredible this switch is but until this evening I now realize I had only a glimpse. For those who have heard the switch with an excellent power supply you know what I speak of. For those who haven’t yet, but soon will, I’m excited for you! Incredible creation, much gratitude to Emile and all the folks at Taiko!!!

There has been, and will continue to be, a lot of interesting suggestion re: powering the switch. One thing I haven't heard yet is any suggestion of an optimum voltage within the allowable range.

Reactions: Armsan and cmarin
There has been, and will continue to be, a lot of interesting suggestion re: powering the switch. One thing I haven't heard yet is any suggestion of an optimum voltage within the allowable range.

So far mine is 12v but this is going to be very system dependent and network cable lenght dependent.
12 - 19 v is the range I belive so few things to test and try,

Reactions: Di-fi
Quite a few questions were asked about linear power supplies for the Taiko switch. Also, a few people asked me offline what I think, and so I decided to share some thoughts.

I have been optimizing a special 'mini' version of the Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC4 LPS for the Taiko switch in my system. I am doing this for myself. Those who know me also know how OCD I am and how much I hate making compromises. When this is ready, it will be (IMO) the ultimate LPS for the Taiko switch, and at least for me it would be the best LPS money can buy for that switch, bar none. I will provide the final recipe to Sean Jacobs, and he can decide whether to release this as a product or not. Obviously, those who are going with the BPS don't need that.

My findings so far are quite interesting. Every change in the LPS is audible with the Taiko switch. No surprise there. So if you like what a mediocre LPS does for the switch, you should really hear what a really good LPS can do.

The Taiko switch is one of the most transparent devices in my system. That's a curse and a blessing. Try a couple different network cables or a couple of different DC power cables, and you will quickly realize how each cable has its own sound signature. Power supplies are even worse - they all have their own sound. And given how transparent the Taiko switch is, you quickly get into a situation in which the power supply is embedding its own sound to the switch... a situation I don't like. IMO, the pure transparency of the Taiko switch is its highest value. As soon as you start adding other network components you start coloring the sound. And you lose something that Taiko has spent so much time to get right. That's why I have found it best to have as little network devices as possible and as simple LAN cables as possible. That gives me the highest level of transparency, which I value a lot.

Taiko presented a big challenge to me. You take a switch like the Buffalo switches I used to modify years ago, you add a power supply, and it sounds better. You add a better power supply, and it sounds even better. But the switch was so noisy (compared to the Taiko switch) that you don't really have to think about transparency or neutrality. You modify a gaming motherboard to build a server/streamer and the same thing happens. However, you take the Taiko switch, add a power supply, and you can immediately hear the signature of that power supply. Of course, all linear power supplies i have tried were better than the provided for functionality medical grade switching mode power supply. But it's hard to preserve the neutral sound Taiko has accomplished with this switch.

So, I had to go back to the drawing board and try to keep the excellent properties of the Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC4 but also try to make it as transparent and neutral for the Taiko switch as possible. For example, I don't think the Mundorf Silver/Gold wire that @Blackmorec mentioned, which has been my reference for years works that well with the Taiko switch. That process of refining the design while seeking the highest level of transparency and neutrality requires testing many different components, wires, connectors, etc. It takes time as those components need to go through a burn-in process. But rest assured I will leave no stones unturned until I get what I am looking for. I am doing this for me, not in a rush to release a new product or to build things to a price point. I'll take as much time as necessary to complete without taking any shortcuts.

The bottom line is the power supply feeding the switch makes a pretty big difference. The power cord feeding the power supply makes a difference too. If you have a compatible LPS laying around, give it a try. If you are waiting for the BPS, you may find an inexpensive LPS that you can buy and sell later at relatively small loss. Even with the supplied SMPS the Taiko switch is the best switch I have heard, but fed by a good LPS unlocks another level.

I just wanted to add to Nenon excellnt power supply evaluation ( as always)
the Taiko swich HAS a ground connection to the DAC cable and to the net card so in final has common ground to Extreme.
If you have longer cables and your power supply to the swich is plugged in a separate socket there is a risk of creating unwanted ground loop.
SJ DC4 ARC6 has no direct grounging to the DC regulators so we avoid that by defult , but outher supplys are at risk As some supplys have connected DC regulator ( - negative leg) to grounding or to neutral.

I have an ARC6 DC4 with two 12v outputs. Could you maybe share what changes/adjustments you made to it and are they possible to do by myself?

For the switch itself 12V is optimal, higher voltages very slightly increase power waste. The external powersupply will dominate this particular type of noise though.

The next batch of networkcards arrived yesterday. We will start flashing and further preparing them with optimally aligned brackets on Monday to have them available for shipping out in case the replacement bracket does not completely solve the issue for everyone.

We’re putting in maximum effort to have everybody up and running at the best attainable performance as fast as possible.

The next batch of networkcards arrived yesterday. We will start flashing and further preparing them with optimally aligned brackets on Monday to have them available for shipping out in case the replacement bracket does not completely solve the issue for everyone.

We’re putting in maximum effort to have everybody up and running at the best attainable performance as fast as possible.
Good plan
Hopefully I'll get a bracket sometime
Still shows it's in NL

My replacement bracket is currently "out for delivery" which in the semi-rural area where I live means either in the next hour or two or if it isn't on the early truck, then late afternoon.

I'll post when I've installed it and had a few hours to make sure there are no hiccups.

Steve Z
Mine is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. Any updates as to if the new bracket fixed the issue?

I'm thinking if it worked Steve would be posting like crazy.
His and others silence doesn't bode well IMO. Hope I'm wrong.....

Reactions: Armsan
I’m still glued to my seat as listening uninterrupted gets me deep into the music.
Mine is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. Any updates as to if the new bracket fixed the issue?
It took me all of 10 minutes to change the bracket and reinstall the card. It was an instant fix

Hello friends, what type and size are the screws of the top lid of the Extreme?

So OTHER than Steve W are things going in a positive direction?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu