Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Uptone connector is a great alternative to the USB cables upto 500 - 700 usd range.
it is better in every way.
only with USB cables above 700 is worst.

Emile is right.
I did isolate the uptone connector with ABS, copper shield, magnetic shield
and it changes the sound very significant.
so adding additinal shielding is great idea here.

Not in my experience, with the MSB Pro USB interface.
The Intona or FTA USB cables I have just color everything in their own way.
Right now the generic USB adapter I'm using is far superior in every way. Its not even close....

Right now the generic USB adapter I'm using is far superior in every way. Its not even close....

It looks like at some point in time I will really need to get a Select myself!

I could see how it could be better as the MSB Pro USB module is being powered by the Extreme, short DC voltage lines won't hurt there. Something interesting to try could be wrapping it in conductive copper tape, just touching the metal outer shells of the adaptor. The adapter may not be internally shielded. This should extend the shield from Extreme chassis to the MSB Pro USB chassis.

Last edited:
I'll check the continuity between the 2 outer sides of the adaptor later today....

interesting.
I use totaldac 24 and power separately the usb port ( not from server)
it seems Msb is very different from totalDAC Or that msb pro usb interface plays significant role in getting different results.

First Uptone Ether Regen feedback from Hong Kong:

I just received my Uptone Ether Regen. It’s quite amazing. I swapped out my modified switch and tried the ER using (A) fibre optic output (Startech) to SGM. This was already better straight out of the box (quieter and better defined bass were immediate impressions). I then used the recommended (B) copper Ethernet output to SGM. Quieter still and better throughout the spectrum. Biggest improvement was clearer separation of instruments and soundstage. I could also hear instruments that used to come straight out of speakers to being positioned behind speakers to create better layering. I then wanted to try and connect from my router to my modified switch > ER (Fibre optic to (A)) > copper Ethernet to SGM. That test will have to wait.

I also tried the SOTM about two months ago. I tried single SOTM and stacked. Single ER definitely better than single but I can’t say single ER better than two stacked SOTM. They were different. I suspect stacking two ER will beat two SOTM.

Previous feedback on the SOTM:

Hi Emile - I went to the HK sotm dealer to try their SOtM sNH-10G Switch and A/B tested with my modified Switch. Their system used a sotm server. The SOtM Switch was quieter than my switch, and music was smoother, more detailed. Upon adding a second SOtM Switch (which they connected together using SOtM ethernet), the improvement was even more pronounced with instruments and vocals. I then had the SOtM switches in my home system and interestingly the improvement delta was much less. I suspect due to the isolation and other areas of optimisation in the Extreme.

I hope our forum friends (CKKeung) can test Ether Regen with Extreme v other swiches They use.
(sotm, cisco, aqvox, telegartner 12 gold)
Also stacking 2 ER and trying it with external Ref10 sounds interesting.
Please let us know what you think ?

Emile, are you planning to test ER yourself v M12 and others ?

Uptone connector is a great alternative to the USB cables upto 500 - 700 usd range.
it is better in every way.
only with USB cables above 700 is worst.

Emile is right.
I did isolate the uptone connector with ABS, copper shield, magnetic shield
and it changes the sound very significant.
so adding additinal shielding is great idea here.

Hello Kris
Can you provide details àbout Emile ideas to tweak the uptone connector and how to do it or a link?
Richard

My SGM Extreme quality is increased highly.

Because I received Extreme world first, Emile sent SFP Card later.

From now, I didn't use the card.

I ordered Startech GBICs and FMC.

HP 2530 no. 1 - Startech GBIC - HP 2530 no. 2 - Startech GBIC - Sotm Switch herb -

Cheaper RJ45 cable - Startech FMC - Startech GBIC - SFP card with Startech GBIC in Extreme

I tested this connection for 5 days, and highly satisfied with Emile connection.

I'm sure that you can feel big difference.

Now I ordered Dalby Meda Ethernet cable and I'm waiting for it.

If changing RJ45 cables, sound is changed.

And

- Sound is louder with same volume.

- Stage is larger.

- Resolution is higher and sound is more natural.

I didn't test EtherRegen, but this connection is very good and more reasonable.

Highly recommended~!!!

P1000680.JPG

Reactions: Taiko Audio
I could see how it could be better as the MSB Pro USB module is being powered by the Extreme, short DC voltage lines won't hurt there. Something interesting to try could be wrapping it in conductive copper tape, just touching the metal outer shells of the adaptor. The adapter may not be internally shielded. This should extend the shield from Extreme chassis to the MSB Pro USB chassis.
Copper foil on the way...I'll report its effect in a day or two

First Uptone Ether Regen feedback from Hong Kong:

I just received my Uptone Ether Regen. It’s quite amazing. I swapped out my modified switch and tried the ER using (A) fibre optic output (Startech) to SGM. This was already better straight out of the box (quieter and better defined bass were immediate impressions). I then used the recommended (B) copper Ethernet output to SGM. Quieter still and better throughout the spectrum. Biggest improvement was clearer separation of instruments and soundstage. I could also hear instruments that used to come straight out of speakers to being positioned behind speakers to create better layering. I then wanted to try and connect from my router to my modified switch > ER (Fibre optic to (A)) > copper Ethernet to SGM. That test will have to wait.
in the Extreme.

I have the EtherRegen (eR) but have not had time to carefully listen or compare to my Cisco 2860. I'm planning to listen first with copper to Taiko server so that I can easily compare to the Cisco.

And after that, I thought I would then try: Cisco > copper > eR > optical > Taiko
And next try: Cisco > optical > eR > copper > Taiko

It's kind of surprising that you found you prefer the eR> copper > Taiko to the optical, as without the eR, you prefer the optical Into the Taiko Server. So many variables...

I'm also wondering if it might make sense to eventually replace my Cisco Switch with another eR.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Anyone interested in the EtherREGEN should go over to audiophilestyle.com. Lots of discussion over there.

There are also gems in the network to leverage streaming as well, and quite cheap solutions.
Examples:
1. SOtM switch with clock.
2. Paul Pang double OCXO clock switch.
3. External LPS for the router as it enters the house.
4. Other isolation upgrades.

I am getting all of the above in for testing shortly.
Hello
Did you finally had some time to test these network improvments?
Regards Richard

I have a Taiko extreme in my system now. Its five days old, and been on 24/7 burn in. Using a Stage III Statement USB cable into my Pro USB module.

I have upgraded from an Aurender W20, I really wanted not to like the Extreme, but I was absolutely floored by its sound and its only getting better every day. Emile tells me they sound best at 1,200 hours, I am at 300 and it sounds freaking awesome into the Select.

For the first time I have no inclination to play records.

IMG_0306.jpeg

I have been looking at other cable options, namely Gobel Lacorde Statement, The Stage III is a loaner, does anyone else have experience with the Gobel Lacorde Statements? I think I read Mike Lavigne had some.

I have been looking at other cable options, namely Gobel Lacorde Statement, The Stage III is a loaner, does anyone else have experience with the Gobel Lacorde Statements? I think I read Mike Lavigne had some.
I listened to and compared many of the top usb cables in the market, including Goebel.
I personally prefer the Intona Ultima usb cable more.

Stage III got a HK dealer but we haven't heard this Statement USB yet.
Is it a new model?

I think so, this is it here:

The little Hatch you can see is the vacuum extraction point as it runs a fully vacuum dielectric.IMG_0317.jpegIMG_0320.jpeg

I have two of the D3 Setchi's, one is with a USB connection and the other a LAN connection. I found that the LAN one caused issues with my switch so I had to remove it. They are demo's units and Emile was telling me how transformational it was with Mike Lavigne's Select DAC. I hope Mike chimes in so I can find out how he got on with it.

Reactions: Esotar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing