Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Really nice work team @Taiko Audio! Especially the chrome like finish looks gorgeous! Will this be the new Taiko "design language" going forward? Meaning, will the new Extreme and BPS 1 and 2 box versions be available in the same design and finishes?

I also hope, that prices stay somehow manageable as I am planning to buy the router and big BPS option as well - trying to figure how to do that without going bankruptcy ;)

Reactions: John T and Armsan
I am still wondering, if a smaller BPS would fit into the standard Extreme case. Eg one that allows only say 2-3h of listening instead of 6-8h (just picking numbers here) for the big stand-alone version, but still can power Extreme, switch and Router and because of not needing an expensive second chassis would only cost about 40-50%. Not sure though if the circuit board if the BPS etc would fit...

Perhaps.

I don't think 2-3H will cut it with most. I'm at 9 hours today, too damn cold to work outside. This is a much better alternative!

Well you can also charge while listening, you’re still running of batteries but in a noisier environment, something I’ve not spend much time with yet.

The large one is the switch we are releasing but as we’re calculating (still waiting for a finish option quote but businesses are closed today) it looks like it’ll end up near or at 5K. As we intended to stay below that for the switch + network card package we are now considering releasing a smaller version which could be below 3K, more competitive in pricing to other “less extreme” switch offerings. This is still an excellent performer and allows usage of the superior SFP DAC cable connection, and brings the whole package at below 5K.

The router is a separate and different product. It would be used in a different way. I’m thinking of asking @Christiaan Punter to do an extensive writeup using the switch(es), router, cabling options and scenarios with sonic difference descriptions etc.
I think it is better to offer one version. Any Extreme user will not mind paying extra 2k for the larger version. I bet the order for larger version is going to be 90%. I really do not see people want to go for smaller version.

I think it is better to offer one version. Any Extreme user will not mind paying extra 2k for the larger version. I bet the order for larger version is going to be 90%. I really do not see people want to go for smaller version.
I'll reserve judgement on that until Emile quantifies the difference between the two sizes.

I'll reserve judgement on that until Emile quantifies the difference between the two sizes.

The larger one is a large step up in clarity, transparency, larger & more holographic staging and significantly increases bass definition, impact and extension, very similar to adding subwoofers, a peculiar effect. But as long as you’ve not heard it the smaller one is excellent and still manages to make Roon sound better then XDMS (without).

The larger one is a large step up in clarity, transparency, larger & more holographic staging and significantly increases bass definition, impact and extension, very similar to adding subwoofers, a peculiar effect. But as long as you’ve not heard it the smaller one is excellent and still manages to make Roon sound better then XDMS (without).

large step up??????
time to start saving

Wow! That looks very, very sharp!

Decisions, decisions -- copper or chrome? Which do I like more? (Which can I afford??)

Steve Z
I can see I was asking the wrong questions.

Which sounds better? That's the correct question!

Steve Z

If the little one had any choice left, I think he just lost it.

From a switch???
Well, so far I've heard significant -- meaning, enough to have a preference strong enough to prompt me to spend money -- differences between FMCs, SFPs, and even bog standard switches and routers such as the Netgear GS108E, D-Link 1005G, Ubiquiti Amplfi, and ISP modem/routers from CenturyLink and StarLink. With and without better linear power supplies. And these aren't even the high-priced modified "audiophile" networking products.

So yes, I have no problem with someone saying there is a large step up with a particular switch. Especially when it is someone with the track record of Emile Bok saying it is so. And, the Taiko Audio switch is not "just another switch" from what has been revealed so far.

Steve Z

Last edited:
If the little one had any choice left, I think he just lost it.
Well, it's good to have choices. Though it is fair to say that anyone who can afford a Taiko Audio Extreme should have no qualms about paying several thousand dollars, Euro, or pounds sterling more for one switch over another, there are degrees to the amount of discretionary income that can be devoted to our shared avocation.

Almost everything in the system shown in my signature was purchased as used, demo, factory refurbished or blemished. I appreciate having an economical choice if possible and if performance is not too compromised. Hence my request a while back for a full battery power supply in a generic box that can be hidden behind the equipment rack.

Steve Z

...I was hoping to bury the new switch behind other gear, but this copper thing is kinda cool, right? Looks like alien sci-fi tech.
Thank goodness Emile and company didn't opt for a pyramid, obelisk or 2001 monolith. Try finding space in the equipment rack for something like that!

Steve Z

The larger one is a large step up in clarity, transparency, larger & more holographic staging and significantly increases bass definition, impact and extension, very similar to adding subwoofers, a peculiar effect.
SOLD!

Well, so far I've heard significant -- meaning, enough to have a preference strong enough to prompt me to spend money -- differences between FMCs, SFPs, and even bog standard switches and routers such as the Netgear GS108E, D-Link 1005G, Ubiquiti Amplfi, and ISP modem/routers from CenturyLink and StarLink. With and without better linear power supplies. And these aren't even the high-priced modified "audiphile" networking products.

So yes, I have no problem with someone saying there is a large step up with a particular switch. Especially when it is someone with the track record of Emile Bok saying it is so. And, the Taiko Audio switch is not "just another switch" from what has been revealed so far.

Steve Z
My reaction was to the difference between the two sizes which I didn't make at all clear. My experience tuning my network is much more limited than yours and frankly I haven't heard that much improvement. In some cases change, yes, but not necessarily what I would call an improvement. That won't stop me from ordering Emile's switch when we learn more about it.

Reactions: oldmustang
Any thoughts on placing the switch on it's edge, making it vertical and saving space?

Any thoughts on placing the switch on it's edge, making it vertical and saving space?

You would probably need a holder which would take away from the beauty of the chassis.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing