Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

View attachment 102062
This might work well for the switch and router if someone is looking for a high end rack solution for the beautiful copper units.

Emile, does the router and switch react well to vibration control?
Very nice! Is that HRS rack a custom job specifically for the dCS Lina stack, or can one similar to that be assembled from standard HRS parts?

Steve Z

My reaction was to the difference between the two sizes which I didn't make at all clear. My experience tuning my network is much more limited than yours and frankly I haven't heard that much improvement. In some cases change, yes, but not necessarily what I would call an improvement. That won't stop me from ordering Emile's switch when we learn more about it.
Taiko Extreme Music Server $23,000.00

Getting out of the hobby so my Taiko Extreme server is for sale. Black, 8 TB of memory, USB card and most recent OS. I'm also running Alpha v 10...

Didn't you say you are getting out of the hobby?
Why are you still posting here??

I’m guessing 3k is the estimated price for the smaller switch alone, with another amount for the PCIe card- the price of the usb card may be a good gauge for how much to add to get to that. This gets the smaller switch + PCIe to roughly 5k usd?

Taiko Extreme Music Server $23,000.00

Getting out of the hobby so my Taiko Extreme server is for sale. Black, 8 TB of memory, USB card and most recent OS. I'm also running Alpha v 10...

Didn't you say you are getting out of the hobby?
Why are you still posting here??
Good question Kingsrule and it diserves an answer. A sudden severe bout of Tinnitus left me unable to enjoy listening to anything much less high end audio. It was unexpected and lasted about ten days--in both ears. I have had hearing loss over the years but not Tinnitus. Its dibilitating. I got checked out by two ENT docs and two audiologists and the answer was the same--no help available and you may have it permantly. I decided to quit the hobby and started selling off my gear. The Extreme and La Scala sold quickly.
I started to notice it diminishing a bit and then I woke one morning and the Tinnitus was gone in my right ear and barely audible in my left. I've since had two bouts of it but they were brief, a couple of days and gone. So I'm listeneing over my shoulder every day, waiting. I've since ordered another Extreme and asked that the network card be fitted. I'll decide on the switch when more info is available. I've decided to tough it out longer next time, and there probably will be a next time, instead of getting frustrated and angry. So that's why I'm still posting here.

Good question Kingsrule and it diserves an answer. A sudden severe bout of Tinnitus left me unable to enjoy listening to anything much less high end audio. It was unexpected and lasted about ten days--in both ears. I have had hearing loss over the years but not Tinnitus. Its dibilitating. I got checked out by two ENT docs and two audiologists and the answer was the same--no help available and you may have it permantly. I decided to quit the hobby and started selling off my gear. The Extreme and La Scala sold quickly.
I started to notice it diminishing a bit and then I woke one morning and the Tinnitus was gone in my right ear and barely audible in my left. I've since had two bouts of it but they were brief, a couple of days and gone. So I'm listeneing over my shoulder every day, waiting. I've since ordered another Extreme and asked that the network card be fitted. I'll decide on the switch when more info is available. I've decided to tough it out longer next time, and there probably will be a next time, instead of getting frustrated and angry. So that's why I'm still posting here.
Don't give up on music. I have mild tinnitus -- some days it is worse than others, and thankfully, some days it doesn't show up at all. It's frustrating that while the condition is medically recognized there aren't any real treatments, just a lot of anecdotal commentary about various informal home remedies of questionable efficacy. I've found that I can still enjoy music and indeed often the music provides enough pleasant "masking" stimulus to make my consciousness of the phantom noise in my head recede into the background. Sometimes after listening to music the tinnitus is gone.

I chalk it up to the sins of my youth -- live rock concerts, loud dorm room stereos, lots of noise exposure in the military including weapons fire and a civilian career as an operator and chief operator in hydroelectric plants. Like Mickey Mantle said, "If I knew I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!"

Drop me a PM if you like and I can give some suggestions that might be helpful.

Glad you're still here -- the discussion is the better for your participation.

Steve Z

You would probably need a holder which would take away from the beauty of the chassis.

The surface finish is actually stronger then anodised aluminium but being glossy a scratch shows better. Btw we are open to non glossy / polished surface treatments, I’m just showing what we have ready right now.

Good question Kingsrule and it diserves an answer. A sudden severe bout of Tinnitus left me unable to enjoy listening to anything much less high end audio.

Good it’s not constant.

Believe it or not you’re not the first to have sold and subsequently have bought a new Extreme!

This might work well for the switch and router if someone is looking for a high end rack solution for the beautiful copper or chrome units.

Now you got me thinking, the downside, 250lbs for a 2*19*19” shelf, fighting temptation here! Anyway, from raw to finished. Of course the yield is higher then 1 switch chassis each slab ;)

A9F9B19A-9CFA-4AD7-8EBB-EFDA39F7B4BA.jpeg

I’m guessing 3k is the estimated price for the smaller switch alone, with another amount for the PCIe card- the price of the usb card may be a good gauge for how much to add to get to that. This gets the smaller switch + PCIe to roughly 5k usd?

Indeed it does!

Reactions: jelt2359
The surface finish is actually stronger then anodised aluminium but being glossy a scratch shows better. Btw we are open to non glossy / polished surface treatments, I’m just showing what we have ready right now.
That‘s good to know. Normally I‘d have preferred to have anodized aluminum in silver to match my Extreme. Although, I really like the looks of both the polished and copper switch! It would be a little eye candy / attention grabber due to it‘s different looks which can be a nice visual variation between all the silver.
Not sure though how larger chassis would look in all that shining glory. Might be a bit too much of a good thing. Then again this forum is the best place to host a beauty contest and let the Taiko community decide.
Although I fear that I might not get my way as my taste often seems not to belong to the majority.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing