Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I'm not sure I understand the difference between the small device and the large one. Is one a switch and the other a router?

Let me ask this in a more granular fashion. In my music room, I have an ethernet cable entering the room wall outlet which comes via CAT6a from an ISP cable modem/LPS 50 feet away in the basement. The room contains 3 items that require a network feed; 1) a smart TV 2) the Extreme and 3) an ipad to control the Taiko/Lampi DAC software (Roon/XDMS). Do I need a switch, a router, or both in the music room to distribute/process the network for my devices?

Currently, the music room wall ethernet outlet feeds a Nordost switch (w LPS), which then outputs to the Taiko directly, as well as another output that goes to an Apple Airport Extreme which services the TV and the network connection I need for my ipad to control the Extreme/Lampi combo.

What would be your recommendation for the appropriate and best performing Taiko switch/router (either? both?) for my configuration (including the forthcoming internal Taiko SFP input board for the Extreme)?

Thanks, Emile/Taiko Team.

Recent Extreme purchaser (Thanks Emile and Bob). Was wondering if there was a Taiko power supply coming for the switch/router?
Thanks

Actually we do have 2 versions. Excuse the lighting as it’s dark outside now and I have to rush out soon for my 2nd Christmas day dinner:

View attachment 102049
View attachment 102050

190*150*40mm weight 7.5 Kg / 16.5 lbs
210*210*50mm weight 15.7 Kg / 34.6 lbs

The difference in the PCB sizes is caused by a more elaborate power regulation section. The cost saving is significant. We’re considering releasing both.

I suspect that, since the large version sounds better, nobody here will be interested in the smaller version.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between the small device and the large one. Is one a switch and the other a router?

The large one is the switch we are releasing but as we’re calculating (still waiting for a finish option quote but businesses are closed today) it looks like it’ll end up near or at 5K. As we intended to stay below that for the switch + network card package we are now considering releasing a smaller version which could be below 3K, more competitive in pricing to other “less extreme” switch offerings. This is still an excellent performer and allows usage of the superior SFP DAC cable connection, and brings the whole package at below 5K.

The router is a separate and different product. It would be used in a different way. I’m thinking of asking @Christiaan Punter to do an extensive writeup using the switch(es), router, cabling options and scenarios with sonic difference descriptions etc.

Recent Extreme purchaser (Thanks Emile and Bob). Was wondering if there was a Taiko power supply coming for the switch/router?
Thanks

Welcome to the club @Backo NYC/SF.
Taiko will have a battery power supply in the near future. And this will be Taiko's recommendation going forward. So, don't spend your money on a good LPS if you are planning to get into Taiko's battery power supplies in the near future.

I have been considering for a while whether to try organizing a group order for a special (smaller footprint and cheaper) edition of a 12V Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC4 LPS that people can buy for the switch and reuse somewhere else if they go with the Taiko BPS in the future. But I am not sure if I want to do this anymore. For one thing, no matter what you put next to this stunning switch, it will look terrible :)
093BDE98-347B-4B9E-B781-1FADB3FEE0EE.jpeg
Plus, while Taiko mentioned that the switch sounds amazing with the stock power supply, it scales very well with better power supply. And they will have their own solution that will likely work best on that switch.
Anyhow, the ARC6 DC4 idea is not completely off the table, but I am not very inclined to do it. Ping me on a private message if you have any comments about that. I don't want to hijack the switch launching party here by discussing anything else.

Let's celebrate the switch launching instead and hope for affordable pricing ! I can see Emile calculating.
Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 12.15.14 PM.png

@Taiko Audio - the switch looks stunning, and I can't wait to try it in my system.
Happy Holidays to everyone!

Thanks

We’re aiming at releasing a smaller version of our BPS (Battery Power Supply) in May. We’re most likely not developing a Linear Power Supply as there are so many on the market already.

Emile, the idea of a write-up is really fab. Really helpful, especially if it notes certain use-cases as well as characteristics and configs.

In my case, I am seriously considering NOT streaming on the main system any more. So selfishly, I have interest in understanding how the switch benefits the over-all sound/system...or if it does at all. Or maybe that will be rendered moot. Concepts like that.

Thanks again for weaving this into your holiday!

We’re aiming at releasing a smaller version of our BPS (Battery Power Supply) in May. We’re most likely not developing a Linear Power Supply as there are so many on the market already.
Will this smaller version only power the switch and router (not the Extreme)?

If so, when do you plan to release the big boy BPS that will power everything Taiko?

Emile, the idea of a write-up is really fab. Really helpful, especially if it notes certain use-cases as well as characteristics and configs.

In my case, I am seriously considering NOT streaming on the main system any more. So selfishly, I have interest in understanding how the switch benefits the over-all sound/system...or if it does at all. Or maybe that will be rendered moot. Concepts like that.

Thanks again for weaving this into your holiday!

We’re fully aware the topic is in need of thorough explanations and/or guidance. It’s uncharted terrain for the vast majority of us.

We’re fully aware the topic is in need of thorough explanations and/or guidance. It’s uncharted terrain for the vast majority of us.
Performance observations by Christiaan will be helpful. You explained awhile ago how well Roon excelled with the switch and how you "expect" it to surpass with XDMS and you were not there yet. This creates a little ambiguity.

Wow! That looks very, very sharp!

Decisions, decisions -- copper or chrome? Which do I like more? (Which can I afford??)

Steve Z
The copper is killer!!

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Performance observations by Christiaan will be helpful. You explained awhile ago how well Roon excelled with the switch and how you "expect" it to surpass with XDMS and you were not there yet. This creates a little ambiguity.

To avoid misconceptions creeping in, Roon + switch surpasses XDMS WITHOUT switch.

Yes.

Same time (May).
I am still wondering, if a smaller BPS would fit into the standard Extreme case. Eg one that allows only say 2-3h of listening instead of 6-8h (just picking numbers here) for the big stand-alone version, but still can power Extreme, switch and Router and because of not needing an expensive second chassis would only cost about 40-50%. Not sure though if the circuit board if the BPS etc would fit...

Reactions: oldmustang
I am still wondering, if a smaller BPS would fit into the standard Extreme case. Eg one that allows only say 2-3h of listening instead of 6-8h (just picking numbers here) for the big stand-alone version, but still can power Extreme, switch and Router and because of not needing an expensive second chassis would only cost about 40-50%. Not sure though if the circuit board if the BPS etc would fit...
I don't think 2-3H will cut it with most. I'm at 9 hours today, too damn cold to work outside. This is a much better alternative!

Reactions: Tuckia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing