Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

another question for Emile. Nothing yetis been said about the new ethernet card. Will that also be available at the same time as the switch. Seems to me that that would be the best case scenario.

in the great scheme of things where Taiko did the following
1. XDMS
2. New USB card
3. Switch
4. Router
5. New Ethernet card

I seem to recall that up to now the biggest impact was the new USB card and recently some of the back end changes made to XDMS however I think I recall Emile saying the switch and ethernet card is the most impactful

@Taiko Audio

can you rank these 5 from biggest impact down for us elves

Let me give that a shot:

1. Big Switch + Ethernet card + Router
2. Big Switch + Ethernet card
3. XDMS (keep in mind though XDMS is not at its maximum potential yet, suspect it may take the #1 spot all by itself)
4. USB card
5. Small switch + Ethernet card
6. Small switch
7. Ethernet card

XDMS is your hidden pearl. Watching it develop on a daily basis and to be a part of the final outcome is worth the price of admission

And this is also where the role of the Router may become much bigger as we can run (parts of) XDMS on it.

Let me give that a shot:

1. Big Switch + Ethernet card + Router
2. Big Switch + Ethernet card
3. XDMS (keep in mind though XDMS is not at its maximum potential yet, suspect it may take the #1 spot all by itself)
4. USB card
5. Small switch + Ethernet card
6. Small switch
7. Ethernet card

Dear Emile
Could you please consider number 1 listed as an package purchesing option to keep costs in lower levels for those who want only the best ?
I think majority of us here on the forum would strongly prefer to get it all it top spec. at a little cheper price.

@Christiaan Punter can you collect my posts on the switch / router etc in this thread in a document so we can share that for “late arrivals” to the discussion to catch up quickly?

Could I also request that when future discussions and evaluations are posted, would you please clearly indicate if the statements are relevant to streaming, local files or both? Thanks and looking forward to spring 2023

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeotrope
Could I also request that when future discussions and evaluations are posted, would you please clearly indicate if the statements are relevant to streaming, local files or both? Thanks and looking forward to spring 2023

They‘re relevant to both and I don’t see that changing.

Domestic issues aside, I’d stay with milled anodized aluminum as it matches what I have. Marking on mirror finishes is always going to be an issue unless you are diligent with white silk gloves.

I would always have the concern that my wife would use the copper switch as a coaster for her Moscow Mule.

Beside scratches, glossy finish attracts fingerprints. I really think matte finishes is much better in the long run.
to me it’s a set it and forget it.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
I would always have the concern that my wife would use the copper switch as a coaster for her Moscow Mule.

There's a side business here selling unused (not perfect or test samples) copper shells (with logo) as coasters! Or maybe raffle them off to Extreme users?

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Copper Taiko Tokens! Say that fast!!

another question for Emile. Nothing yet has been said about the new ethernet card. Will that also be available at the same time as the switch. Seems to me that that would be the best case scenario.

in the great scheme of things where Taiko did the following
1. XDMS
2. New USB card
3. Switch
4. Router
5. New Ethernet card

I seem to recall that up to now the biggest impact was the new USB card and recently some of the back end changes made to XDMS however I think I recall Emile saying the switch and ethernet card is the most impactful

@Taiko Audio

can you rank these 5 from biggest impact down for us elves

I too am eager to learn as much as @Taiko Audio feel he can share without giving away IP for the Network Card, these are the information elements I have seen earlier in this thread:

1) Focus of overall design is lowest possible noise
2) Format must be (?) PCIe v3 (or4)?
3) Interconnect to Switch is based on DAC (Direct Attach Copper) cable - again to get lowest possible noise -> fixed and relatively short cable -> Switch need to be with a few meters of Extreme (DAC cable will be part of the package)
4) Team Taiko has either implemented new driver software for the network card or they have modified a stock driver
5) Control over Switch and Network hardware, software and interconnect allows Taiko to find the optimal network connection solution - it was mentioned a while back that there will be different profiles (similar to USB Driver's Profiles) for Extreme running Roon and Extreme running XDMS

Eagerly waiting on more info regarding Network Card and availability to place a purchase order!

Btw - the design of the switch as shared in pics is gorgeous - it is a piece of audio jewellery!

I too am eager to learn as much as @Taiko Audio feel he can share without giving away IP for the Network Card, these are the information elements I have seen earlier in this thread:

1) Focus of overall design is lowest possible noise
2) Format must be (?) PCIe v3 (or4)?
3) Interconnect to Switch is based on DAC (Direct Attach Copper) cable - again to get lowest possible noise -> fixed and relatively short cable -> Switch need to be with a few meters of Extreme (DAC cable will be part of the package)
4) Team Taiko has either implemented new driver software for the network card or they have modified a stock driver
5) Control over Switch and Network hardware, software and interconnect allows Taiko to find the optimal network connection solution - it was mentioned a while back that there will be different profiles (similar to USB Driver's Profiles) for Extreme running Roon and Extreme running XDMS

Eagerly waiting on more info regarding Network Card and availability to place a purchase order!

Btw - the design of the switch as shared in pics is gorgeous - it is a piece of audio jewellery!
RE XDMS - is the Roon / XDMS switch function within the app active? That is probably the point at which I’ll make the leap…

Reactions: Markus87
Welcome to the club @Backo NYC/SF.
I have been considering for a while whether to try organizing a group order for a special (smaller footprint and cheaper) edition of a 12V Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC4 LPS that people can buy for the switch and reuse somewhere else if they go with the Taiko BPS in the future.
The Sean Jacobs is $5400 USD, is that correct? That’s nuts - definitely not spending the same or more than the cost of the switch for a power supply. I’ve been using Teddy Pardo supplies for years with good results. I never compared to other brands, I just know they are a lot better than switching supplies, and they cost about $500. https://teddypardo.com/under-the-hood/

Coming soon and thank you, definitely comes with a healthy chunk of manufacturer’s pride.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing