Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

In the middle of an album the track stops plays. But I think it might have been "version" related. Was prompted to do an update, Just did an update, fingers crossed.

It would help if you mention what software you are running? Roon or XDMS?

It would help if you mention what software you are running? Roon or XDMS?
Sorry its Roon, and as indicated I think it was different versions related, so far so good!!

Reactions: dminches
I cannot wait for Beta XDMS, Roon updates are so often its really crazy...

Same problem here with roon stopping suddenly during a track.

Check to see if the versions on the Extreme/ipad/computer are the same. Go into settings, "about" and you can see the versions that are installed and if upgrades are available...You should see Roon version 2.0 and Build 1223, 1223 Windows, ios you should see 1219...

Last edited:
Reactions: engadin
Check to see if the versions on the Extreme/ipad/computer are the same. Go into settings, "about" and you can see the versions that are installed and if upgrades are available...You should see Roon version 2.0 and Build 1223, 1223 Windows, ios you should see 1219...
That's why I stopped using Roon years ago

That's why I stopped using Roon years ago

To be fair, this is not Roon’s issue. Likewise, didn’t most XDMS alpha users have issues with this current upgrade? Software is hard to make perfect.

Reactions: wil and nonesup
didn’t most XDMS alpha users have issues with this current upgrade? Software is hard to make perfect.
I agree BUT when the alpha version of XDMS is sonically better IMO than Roon, for me it was a no brainer.

I experienced the same stalled playback issues over the last few weeks in Roon. Same problem, same fix mentioned above. Didn’t realize it was widespread. I’ve been using Roon for 3.5 years. Never had this sync issue before. Lately I’m really getting tired of the Roon sound signature - rounded, smeared, soft. Reverting to TAS really exposes Roon’s shortcomings. Can’t wait for XDMS. Requested it 6 weeks ago. I’m ready to get rid of Roon Ready.

I’ve been using Roon for 8 years now and I think that it is an excellent software solution that allows me to play music all round the house through a variety of different devices from different manufacturers whilst using the same control software and maintaining a common playback history across all devices. The only problem that I have had in that period is once last year when, for some reason, it initiated a fresh installation instead of an upgrade which overwrote my advanced settings and set them back to default. I could hear the difference that this made and it did take me a while to figure out what had happened but, once I changed the settings, the sound quality was back where it was.

Combined with the Extreme‘s streaming sound quality, I find it to be an excellent combination for music exploration and I have discovered more new music in the 12 months since getting my Extreme than in the previous 12 years.

As for sound quality, I cannot comment as I have not heard XDMS yet but, on my system, Extreme Roon sounds superb. That may be because my system has been built entirely around that source, but I cannot highlight any sound deficiencies. Quite often, I let Roon run in Radio exploration mode whilst I am reading or using my laptop and it just stops me in my tracks and makes me look up in surprise. One such occurrence happened recently with this track which was recorded in 1963. It’s just a man, a guitar and a harmonica and not a track that I had ever heard before but my wife looked up and said ‘My God, he’s just right there’ pointing her finger. You could sense his physical presence and, eyes closed, you would swear he was sitting right in our living room. If XDMS is a lot better than that, then I shall be very pleasantly surprised.

0213567D-3277-48EA-8D07-1F4BD65CD99E.jpeg

I’ve been using Roon for 8 years now and I think that it is an excellent software solution that allows me to play music all round the house through a variety of different devices from different manufacturers whilst using the same control software and maintaining a common playback history across all devices. The only problem that I have had in that period is once last year when, for some reason, it initiated a fresh installation instead of an upgrade which overwrote my advanced settings and set them back to default. I could hear the difference that this made and it did take me a while to figure out what had happened but, once I changed the settings, the sound quality was back where it was.

Combined with the Extreme‘s streaming sound quality, I find it to be an excellent combination for music exploration and I have discovered more new music in the 12 months since getting my Extreme than in the previous 12 years.

As for sound quality, I cannot comment as I have not heard XDMS yet but, on my system, Extreme Roon sounds superb. That may be because my system has been built entirely around that source, but I cannot highlight any sound deficiencies. Quite often, I let Roon run in Radio exploration mode whilst I am reading or using my laptop and it just stops me in my tracks and makes me look up in surprise. One such occurrence happened recently with this track which was recorded in 1963. It’s just a man, a guitar and a harmonica and not a track that I had ever heard before but my wife looked up and said ‘My God, he’s just right there’ pointing her finger. You could sense his physical presence and, eyes closed, you would swear he was sitting right in our living room. If XDMS is a lot better than that, then I shall be very pleasantly surprised.

View attachment 105477
I too have a digital only main system (I have a record player in my second system mainly as a historical conversation piece ), and I agree with what you say, Roon has many positive attributes, and sounds very good on the Extrene.

However, after I first heard TAS I literally never used Roon again on the Extreme, the sound quality trumped any UI drawbacks & lack of discoverability for me. I joined the XDMS alpha program and was even happier with that. Then around the turn of the year a back end update was released for XDMS which took things to a whole new level of engagement, with the tantalising prospect of even more to come, especially in conjunction with the switch & router. Although XDMS is not going to replace Roon features like multi room, I’d say you are in for a very big and very pleasant sound quality surprise when you try it!

I still use Roon btw, I really value the discoverability, I just don’t run it on the Extreme through my main system any more.

Last edited:

View attachment 105477
@Malcng: Malcom, take a listen to "Vanguard Visionaries/Junior Wells/Help Me (A tribute to Sonny Boy Williamson)

Reactions: micky22
I was able to sort the Roon issue out yesterday. Now for some reason I cannot switch to TAS, it only says SGM Controller Is Not Available...Any suggestions?? I restarted the ipad, its nice to be able to correct issues without reaching out to Taiko...

I was able to sort the Roon issue out yesterday. Now for some reason I cannot switch to TAS, it only says SGM Controller Is Not Available...Any suggestions?? I restarted the ipad, its nice to be able to correct issues without reaching out to Taiko...
Restart Extreme…?maybe.

Restart Extreme…?maybe.
I tried that, it shows that it is connected to the Extreme along with my serial number. SGM controller not available. Also where you switch between Roon/TAS both show stopped.

I tried that, it shows that it is connected to the Extreme along with my serial number. SGM controller not available. Also where you switch between Roon/TAS both show stopped.

Have you been upgrading the control-app, back-end and scanner? Are they all consistent?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing