Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

...stacking tolerances can be the silent killer! I hope my "get the Dremel tool" comment didn't create static for you guys, Emile. It is assumed that would be a last resort to be undertaken only by experienced people.

Update from MarkusBarkus: Don't screw up your Extreme using power tools, files, etc. if you don't know what you're doing!
A small pneumatic Jack Hammer will also work. Safety first! Goggles and most importantly EAR PROTECTION....As @MarkusBarkus indicated DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID unless you know what you are doing and have complete confidence it what you are doing...With the new brackets coming don't even mess with it...

Last edited:
Announcement regarding the "bracket issue":

As you can read on the last few pages there is an issue with the consistency of a part of the copper PCIe card mounting brackets which have shipped out. This can cause disconnect issues after a period of playback ranging from anywhere between 5 minutes to 12 hours. A new batch of brackets will be lasercut this weekend and will ship out to everybody at the start of next week by Fedex Priority. We will also replace the brackets of all cards which have not shipped yet. Although not all of you need to replace your bracket, if it slides in easy, fits well and works well you can just leave it as is, we feel better providing each and everyone with a replacement. We are also perfectly happy replacing the entire card but unfortunately don't have them in stock currently so that option would take several weeks while the replacement bracket can be with you end of next week.

Our most sincere apologies for this oversight, we simply never anticipated the possibility of a variance in the mounting brackets.
I am one of the affected by the "bracket issue", I must say that as usual - Taiko's transparency and customer support is nothing but extra ordinary!

I will eagerly await the new bracket as I have been able to, intermittently, sample the stupendous SQ upgrade that Switch + Network Card yields.

I have to say that the new Switch/card are AMAZING and well worth the wait for the new brackets if required, BUT, for me personally being part of this Taiko community even trumps the sonics of my audio systems. It's a very special experience sharing our joint experiences in real time with fellow EXTREMERS from across the globe. It's a priceless experience, I cherish it!

Hi Emile - are you able to give an update regarding other finishes for the switch (esp to match the current Extreme)?

0. damn, this extreme is heavy. how did i ever get this into the rack?
1. where are my allen wrenches?
2. why won't the screws on the top come off, turn the wrench harder wimp
3. slot 2 doesn't look like what i want, oh, count from the other end
4. wrong size philips head screwdriver, need a bigger one, screw comes out fine
5. the stupid pcie board in slot 2 doesn't want to come out, time to get a slotted screwdriver and pry the top of the bracket up
6. the rest is a piece of cake, except for getting the extreme back into the rack
7. added switch (damn, this is heavy) to ethernet and new network card via DAC cable, power on everything
8. scan for new IP address, updated vnc viewer with new IP, but now it wants the password.......go look it up (again)
9. run new script to install latest parameters and settings, restarts
10. connect via android tablet xdms control app, everything looks fine
11. turn on tube amps

back in a few days :D
Exactly! At least your Extreme is not behind a couch... ;)

5. What I did to get the old Network card out is insert the 90 degree bent end of an allen key into the bracket (where the mounting screw goes), and use the Allen key as a way to pull it out.

Can someone direct me to where the patch file URL is?

The new Network card goes in the same slot as the old Network card, correct? I think Steve mentioned he initially put his in the wrong slot, and that "slot 2" is the one to use. Which is "Slot 2"?

Also, that tab that you flip down to remove the old network card, that no longer works since the new card is longer, correct?

Exactly! At least your Extreme is not behind a couch... ;)

5. What I did to get the old Network card out is insert the 90 degree bent end of an allen key into the bracket (where the mounting screw goes), and use the Allen key as a way to pull it out.

Can someone direct me to where the patch file URL is?
Windows

MAC OS

Reactions: Zeotrope
From the PDF:
"Note that when removing the PCIe card, there’s a little clip at the back of the slot on the Extreme which you have to unlock first by toggling it down, and back up after the card is installed."

The clip doesn't seem to go up anymore on the new card, is that correct?

Hello, I own already a SOTM with with a clock card inside and I own a Super clock too from Sotm, would like to know what can add the new taiko switch ? for the moment I prefer the ripped version of a CD versus Qobuz with switch...will the new switch change the game? I cannot enjoy yet the XMDS and wait for it. Thanks to share your experience. best regards to all of you

DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID unless you know what you are doing
But if you *do* know what you're doing. . . ??

Steve Z

• Haha
Reactions: Taiko Audio
Detailed instructions including a video can be found on this page:
https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-extreme-network-card/
I found Slot 2 but I still don’t see where to download the patch file.

EDIT: Ok, now I see it! I swear it was not there before!

The black tab that holds the end of the card in place, it no longer seems to do much with the new card, since it’s longer, is that correct? I flipped it up but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Or is my card inserted wrong?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing