Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Got the bracket. Installation took 5 minutes. The fit is very different. Connected and listening. Let’s see how things go (even before any firmware update).

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Got the bracket. Installation took 5 minutes. The fit is very different. Connected and listening. Let’s see how things go (even before any firmware update).
I did the same. No luck. Extreme is not connected on line via the new card/new bracket. Back to the old card for now.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I did the same. No luck. Extreme is not connected on line via the new card/new bracket.

That is a bummer. Sounds like your card’s issues go beyond the bracket.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
That is a bummer. Sounds like your card’s issues go beyond the bracket.
Yup. I could not get my new card to work sans bracket. You were able to use the new card without bracket. I could never get it to work without the bracket, SO I probably have the issue that they are working on right now. I am just so relieved that I can put the old card back in with the switch and it comes right up, no issue.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yup. I could not get my new card to work sans bracket. You were able to use the new card without bracket. I could never get it to work without the bracket, SO I probably have the issue that they are working on right now. I am just so relieved that I can put the old card back in with the switch and it comes right up, no issue.

I assume you reconnected the power? I am asking only because when I first tried the card sans bracket I forgot to.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I assume you reconnected the power? I am asking only because when I first tried the card sans bracket I forgot to.
Yep, unfortunately I did connect the power. But thx. Definitely could have been that!

Reactions: kennyb123

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

Exactly the same here. Even without the bracket mine was erratic. The new bracket makes the fit feel secure but after coming home from playing tennis, the connection was gone :(

On the other hand, I left the new bracket and card in and will move the Ethernet to a mobo nic for now. I do not want to have to pull the extreme out of the rack again!
I'm happy to wait that way for the fw fix.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Exactly the same here. Even without the bracket mine was erratic. New bracket makes the fit feel secure but after coming home from playing tennis, the connection was gone :(
I do not even get an initial connection.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
So bizarre. I assume that Emile and team have an explanation for this.

I assume we are all using the card with the switch so the basic conditions are the same. I also assume we all put the card in slot 2 where the old SPF card was.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Where can you see if the files are WAV or FLAC files. I've never paid any attention other than if they were 44.1 or DSD files.

I believe all streaming is losslessly compressed.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I believe all streaming is losslessly compressed.
I am talking about files that I have in 44.1 on my Extreme. Not streaming. How can you tell if they are WAV or FLAC?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
So bizarre. I assume that Emile and team have an explanation for this.

I assume we are all using the card with the switch so the basic conditions are the same. I also assume we all put the card in slot 2 where the old SPF card was.
It is bizarre:) Some work, like yours. Others have the connection and then it drops. I have no connection regardless of bracket or no bracket. But with mine as soon as I put in the old card, it connects right away. Go figure:)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am talking about files that I have in 44.1 on my Extreme. Not streaming. How can you tell if they are WAV or FLAC?

You would have to look at your drive in explorer. I don’t think XDMS gives you that information. Roon probably does if you tap on the star.

Reactions: Rhapsody

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
The file extensions on the track files will tell you: track1.wav, track1.flac, track1.dsf etc

Steve Z

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Roon shows it but I don't see it but I don't see it in XDMS. In XDMS it just shows 44.1 etc. No big deal other than to know if I heard a difference thinking WAV could sound better but ???

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
You would have to look at your drive in explorer. I don’t think XDMS gives you that information. Roon probably does if you tap on the star.
Yes, I see it in finder on a Mac and then in Roon. Too much trouble:)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
@Taiko Audio So without the bracket my Extreme was up and running for 5-6 days without any issue. Today, after installing the card with the new bracket I lost a connection between 90 and 120 minutes.

Bizarre.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
@Taiko Audio So without the bracket my Extreme was up and running for 5-6 days without any issue. Today, after installing the card with the new bracket I lost a connection between 90 and 120 minutes.

Bizarre.
It might sound like we are complaining. Not the case. Just giving feedback so @Taiko understands what is going on out here, which they probably do, but we're making sure:)

Reactions: Christiaan Punter

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Steve W. Are you still up and running?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
It might sound like we are complaining. Not the case. Just giving feedback so @Taiko understands what is going on out here, which they probably do, but we're making sure:)

Absolutely. Shit happens. Just trying to provide data points.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing