Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Powering AP with battery presents its problems (as I found out).

I used a empirical audio monolith battery to power my AP, and it injects its own battery sound signature, along with some harshness.

Switching to a Farad Super 3 for the AP, I could easily tell the difference between the power supplies.

I could isolate the AP with switches, but the power supplies for those switches will inject their own signature also.

In my case any AP connection to the grid is more noisy.
I got Lifepo4 battery that is far superior to any other battery .

Unfortunately, not possible for me to go to Oldenzaal in 2023, so I hope there will be any sort of A/B, even if non-optimal. Otherwise, difficult to pull the trigger in purchasing a BPS without listening to the difference it makes. Cheers

Should Emile and his gang estimate the SQ increase For BPS ?
This would be great for me and many others I belive.
Emile already estimated net card , switch and router % in gains.
I had very simmilar gains to his with switch and net card,

I agree the Munich is the last place to present any SQ differences.

Should Emile and his gang estimate the SQ increase For BPS ?
This would be great for me and many others I belive.
Emile already estimated net card , switch and router % in gains.
I had very simmilar gains to his with switch and net card,

I agree the Munich is the last place to present any SQ differences.

Emile has already said it is a more significant upgrade than any of the other current products including the router, switch and network card.

I just wonder if it significantly changes the sound signature which I don’t feel the switch and network did.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
1683661819917.png

Hey guys long time lurker and future Taiko owner with a question. Not much of a network expert but with the preferred architecture above, is there any provision to maintain Roon distribution for non critical listening? Can Roon living on a Taiko Extreme "talk" to the other devices on the separate subnet?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1683661793429.png
    1683661793429.png
    133 KB · Views: 6
Emile has already said it is a more significant upgrade than any of the other current products including the router, switch and network card.

I just wonder if it significantly changes the sound signature which I don’t feel the switch and network did.

I remember that , but as you see some people need more estimation .

Food for thought from a (currently) non 'Extremist'
Living Voice Vox/Kondo uses a 'full system' BPS & almost always gets best of show.....
(certainly far less sophisticated that Taiko's DC)
How much does the LV BPS contribute ?
I'm not yet in the 'Extreme Ecosystem', however I've read this whole thread intently....
So, based on comments to date, I've gathered that Emile & Team Taiko have certainly, always underpromised & overdelivered
(& been transparent as seemingly possible & have provided heretofore, unheard of customer service)
So I'm side betting that the Extreme DC BPS system will be far more than the cherry on top;
I think it will be the foundation that floats the boat !
IINM, there are patents (pending ?) on this + there were grants issued......
That is some strong ammo !
Looking forward to an AC BPS affair + an Extreme DAC

To begin with: Ed is my hero.

11:00 pm, Ed calls, does the necessary software things to the switch and fixes some Roon problems.
Are Taiko employees chained in the factory? Or saints?
Most probably both.

Stinkin’ Roon sounds bloody good with the new Taiko switch. Getting better and better.
With the lowly wall wart. I am impressed.

As there are other invoices to be paid, too, I tried not to go for the bps. Get something cheap.
Not a full success here: I ordered the Sean Jacobs mini arc6 dc4 lps.
I do wonder what will happen with the sound then …

Many thanks to all Team Taiko for this ever improving wonderful reproduction of music and their absolutely unmatched customer support.
Sorry for some bad news: you’re stuck with me!

"As there are other invoices to be paid, too, I tried not to go for the bps. Get something cheap.
Not a full success here: I ordered the Sean Jacobs mini arc6 dc4 lps.
I do wonder what will happen with the sound then …"

Buckle up.

In my case any AP connection to the grid is more noisy.
I got Lifepo4 battery that is far superior to any other battery .

I also found that AP plugged into the grid to be noisy, even using a dedicated line.

But once I plugged the Farad powering the AP into an Isotek Sigmas (which is plugged into the grid), there was no looking back.

I also found that AP plugged into the grid to be noisy, even using a dedicated line.

But once I plugged the Farad powering the AP into an Isotek Sigmas (which is plugged into the grid), there was no looking back.

Good to know.
Will test that when I get a chance,
So we need just to address this noise injection .

Emile . Is the Taiko DC filtering device a good solution for AP ( effective)
or you plan creating something more accurate ?

Good to know.
Will test that when I get a chance,
So we need just to address this noise injection .

Emile . Is the Taiko DC filtering device a good solution for AP ( effective)
or you plan creating something more accurate ?

More accurate as in specifically addressing AP “noise”? Yes. I actually have a pretty decent solution already with a low power AP which is powered from one the Router’s USB ports though a small isolation transformer + filter. Making progress!

More accurate as in specifically addressing AP “noise”? Yes. I actually have a pretty decent solution already with a low power AP which is powered from one the Router’s USB ports though a small isolation transformer + filter. Making progress!
nice idea!

Just a quick note that I had a musician friend over last night for a listen. Was supposed to be a quick listen before crashing as we just returned from a long road trip.

We/he ended up listening for 6 hours, until 2am. He kept queuing up songs in XDMS (his first time using the software and he was using the various search functions on XDMS, etc.) and I could not pull him away. He was enamored listening to all his music. He has a nice analog rig back home but was so enthralled, particularly by strings, vocals, piano and generally the engagement factor and soundstage, according to him. Switch, NIC, Router, PD (all black) still on order here.

I think we have a potential new Taiko customer. He kept exclaiming "what exactly does that THING do?! Incredible"

Last edited:
Just a quick note that I had a musician friend over last night for a listen. Was supposed to be a quick listen before crashing as we just returned from a long road trip.

We/he ended up listening for 6 hours, until 2am. He kept queuing up songs in XDMS (his first time using the software and he was using the various search functions on XDMS, etc.) and I could not pull him away. He was enamored listening to all his music. He has a nice analog rig back home but was so enthralled, particularly by strings, vocals, piano and generally the engagement factor and soundstage. Switch, NIC, Router still on order here.

I think we have a potential new Taiko customer. He kept exclaiming "what exactly does that THING do?! Incredible"
I get vicarious excitement when I read one is loving what they have SQ-wise and the switch, NIC, and router are yet to be utilized. Man, are you in for a treat!

I keep my fingers crossed for the Ultimate AP solution .
With that AP will be a great member of Taiko Family.

Reactions: Di-fi
Please note that the Extreme Router guide links to V1, Christiaan´s latest upload here a few days ago was V6.
Actually, the initial version was V0.6 which was preliminary (note the decimal point)
The latest current version is 001 which is on the Taiko site.

Last edited:
View attachment 109166

Hey guys long time lurker and future Taiko owner with a question. Not much of a network expert but with the preferred architecture above, is there any provision to maintain Roon distribution for non critical listening? Can Roon living on a Taiko Extreme "talk" to the other devices on the separate subnet?

Thanks
That's a good question. I checked with Emile and he thinks it should be possible "with a pass-through" but this would need to be tested.

Reactions: oldmustang
That's a good question. I checked with Emile and he thinks it should be possible "with a pass-through" but this would need to be tested.
I hope that proves possible since a large part of the Roon usage in my house -- my wife likes to stream music and access her favorites from our local library of music via both of our AV systems -- is running Roon via the AV receivers' Roon endpoints on our LAN.

I can gladly accept some less than perfectionist Roon sound quality for that application to keep marital harmony !

Steve Z

Last edited:
New Taiko Audio Extreme Router FAQ document

When the Taiko Extreme Router went live, we created a new Guide/Manual and removed the partially outdated Summary Document. In its place, I've now made a FAQ document that lists all the relevant Router-related questions. As usual, I will keep updating this document as more questions are asked and answered.

The Router FAQ document can be found below and the latest version will always be on the Taiko website:

Attachments

• Extreme Router FAQ_v03.pdf
    310.2 KB · Views: 41

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing