Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

The last piece of the puzzle is how to power the AP without compromising SQ.

But using a dedicated AP is simply (far) superior to any of the other solutions I tried.

I understand the desire for convenience, alternative solutions, multiple Roon Endpoints, adding more devices etc, but I cannot imagine you’d want to compromise this new level of SQ once heard. Going back to “just the switch+network card” would require me to not listen to the system for a few weeks to recalibrate as that now suddenly sounds pretty dull. Adding devices, routing more traffic, it all has an impact.

The last thing left to do is to properly filter/power the AP, which nut I’m very confident on we can crack.
OK, you convinced me Emile -- no trying to "make one size fit all" by having the Roon core on the Extreme available to the rest of my home network.

So now I have to consider what to use to run Roon on the "dirty side" of my home LAN.

I have a Mac Mini with the full Uptone Audio fan and power mods and which boots off of an industrial-grade SD card, but that requires the JS-2 LPS which I am currently using to power the Taiko switch (and I plan to continue using to power the Taiko router, too when it gets here). I have an idle Sonore Signature LPS but it is 7 VDC, which I believe is too low for the Taiko switch though I think I recall Emile saying 7 VDC was OK for the Router.

When I loaded my library onto the Extreme I had hoped to keep my several NAS powered down except for back up activity since I didn't need to run my library from one, but the NAS' and all the computer/networking stuff other than the Taiko switch are all on a different circuit, so I guess it won't hurt to run one of the NAS again.

I guess I need to figure out what is a cost-effective Roon-core platform for my wife's use on the non-audio part of the network.

Steve Z

Reactions: Taiko Audio
How about something like a 20,000 maH regulated battery supply? At 500ma for the AP, that projects out to close to 40 hours play, probably less in the real world but much longer than my personal best continuous listening session.

Steve Z

Hello I just experiment since 3 days XDMS, before my wife was asking to stop the music and now is the contrary :). I am checking for a really good UB cable, if you have any recommendations?
Soft ground discussion....but here it goes....I had pretty good success with the Siltech Royal Signature Golden Universal II USB. There are a few kicking around in the used market but even new it is almost "reasonable" in price. I am a big Shunyata Research fan so had it against the Omega and in my system, the Siltech came ahead bar none with a level of detail unmatched. Don't get me wrong, the Omega is a great buy and highly recommended as well with outstanding timbre. For my friend and I doing A/B side by side, the Siltech always came ahead but I am also certain that system matching and personal taste will vary.

Also it is a long thread but check post #15001, it has some suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio
XDMS sound profile:
Toggle to alternate - Has this been coded?
Played with it and I'm not sure I hear a difference...

Taiko seemed to prefer a 1000 Mb network speed compared to 100Mb. The AP has one 10/100 Ethernet port, so did the performance of this AP change your mind? I suppose 100Mb is enough for the control device's network demands and 1000 Mb preference still stands for the other router - switch - server connections to facilitate XDMS and more.
With the MikroTik AP connected no sudden stops during playback caused by 100Mbit network speeds or increase in error messages in Roon logs? What about the effect of a connected AP to the router on playing a) local files located on the server or b) files played from the USB drive connected to one of the Router’s two USB A ports?

Indeed seemingly not as relevant for a remote control.

Reactions: Di-fi and Armsan
How about something like a 20,000 maH regulated battery supply? At 500ma for the AP, that projects out to close to 40 hours play, probably less in the real world but much longer than my personal best continuous listening session.

Steve Z

Sure, but I prefer to provide a complete plug&play solution, ideally powered by the router. Aka working on adding wireless functionality to the router without compromising performance, preferably without additional significant costs. I wouldn’t mind including that Mikrotik AP with the presale router for free for example and as we seem to have miscalculated both the Router and DC distributor actual cost the next batches will need to be priced higher anyway.

Reactions: oldmustang
OK, you convinced me Emile -- no trying to "make one size fit all" by having the Roon core on the Extreme available to the rest of my home network.

So now I have to consider what to use to run Roon on the "dirty side" of my home LAN.

I have a Mac Mini with the full Uptone Audio fan and power mods and which boots off of an industrial-grade SD card, but that requires the JS-2 LPS which I am currently using to power the Taiko switch (and I plan to continue using to power the Taiko router, too when it gets here). I have an idle Sonore Signature LPS but it is 7 VDC, which I believe is too low for the Taiko switch though I think I recall Emile saying 7 VDC was OK for the Router.

When I loaded my library onto the Extreme I had hoped to keep my several NAS powered down except for back up activity since I didn't need to run my library from one, but the NAS' and all the computer/networking stuff other than the Taiko switch are all on a different circuit, so I guess it won't hurt to run one of the NAS again.

I guess I need to figure out what is a cost-effective Roon-core platform for my wife's use on the non-audio part of the network.

Steve Z

The uptone is a bit “easier” on your mains power supply being a choke input design, I’d say that’s a solid pick especially when plugged in close to your system. The less sophisticated regulator design is less important when using the DC distributor. Anything with active rectification (uses a controller and mosfets to rectify AC to DC) tends to be more gentle too in that area and wastes less power.

Last edited:
Yes. I prefer Alt myself but I’d classify it as a subtle difference.
Are you talking about Sound profile Defult v Alternative ?
If so, In my system there is very big difference to the point I cant listen for long on Alt .
Defult is just perfect for me .
What is changed between this 2 modes in XDMS?
Buffer size ? Latency ?

Are you talking about Sound profile Defult v Alternative ?
If so, In my system there is very big difference to the point I cant listen for long on Alt .
Defult is just perfect for me .
What is changed between this 2 modes in XDMS?
Buffer size ? Latency ?

It’s a difference in the “file cleaning” methodology.

Reactions: oldmustang

But using a dedicated AP is simply (far) superior to any of the other solutions I tried.

I always try to not not over exaggerate the impact of “upgrades” we launch, but the way I have it running right now, which is one LPS powering the DC Distributor which then powers both the Switch and Router, with the AP (microtik map lite) powered from either a different power grid or battery is simply amazing. I would rate the addition of DC distributor + Router + AP as currently configured, I’m just going to say it, improving things to a larger degree then the Network card and Switch combo.
I understand that the addition of the DC distributor and router are a significant sq improvement to the already raised bar of the switch/network card.

But I’m unclear about the inclusion of the AP for the remote tablet. Are you saying that using wireless to the remote with an optimal an optimal AP will provide a meaningful sq improvement relative to a wired Ethernet connection to the remote? Or is this pertinent only to those who must (or prefer) to use WiFi?

I understand that the addition of the DC distributor and router are a significant sq improvement to the already raised bar of the switch/network card.

But I’m unclear about the inclusion of the AP for the remote tablet. Are you saying that using wireless to the remote with an optimal an optimal AP will provide a meaningful sq improvement relative to a wired Ethernet connection to the remote? Or is this pertinent only to those who must (or prefer) to use WiFi?

Feel free to run a wired remote.

@Taiko Audio, what is the max power consumption of the Extreme?

It uses about 60 watts idle, which can increase to 80 watts when playing music (depending on the software used). But when booting up it can draw up to 300 watts for short periods of time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing