Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Is today’s xdms update sounding better or is it my imagination? There seems to be more in room presence at lower volumes and bass texture. Pre-wine o’clock observation btw!

Reactions: adamaley

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
I use this for DC. Installed on the powerline .
But DC is usually on and of during playback ( it fluctuates ) so if it is permanent it might be something else.

You might have a ground loop that can give simmilar effect.
please try to disconnect everything from extreme ( DAC cable and USB cable ) to check if there is any change or not .

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I haven’t listened to it but the update is only for the app, not the backend. Not sure why it would sound better but maybe there was something else done.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had never tried the Alternate setting but did so today followed by an uninstall/reinstall of the XDMS app. It's early in the listening process and I haven't A/B'd with Default setting but first impression; it sounds really good, as well :) I do notice more snap in the presentation...
Yes. I prefer Alt myself but I’d classify it as a subtle difference.

Went back to Default. Not close, Default has more tonal color & texture, dynamics, transparency, overall more emotionally engaging. I won’t be seeking the Alternative any time soon. Anyone else try this?

I've spent the past 2 hours playing with this now that the clue was to restart XDMS. Emile favors Alt" but the difference is subtle". I've also read Kris' posts as well as 2ndLiner. First off both Default and ALT sound terrific But there is a difference to my ears. On my system this is not subtle but quickly picked out. I have agreed 100% with Emile on everything up to now. For me Default is fuller, more three dimensional. There is more of a tightness to the drum skins with better deep bass. The key for me is that Default completely and immediately catches my attention. Im drawn in and it keeps me in. I find that ALT might be just a bit leaner so I think that as the saying goes, "one mans passion is another man's poison" , this becomes a personal preference and what sounds best in ones system. As 2ndLiner said to which I completely agree, the snap and the dynamics and involvement for me as well is Default as it is more emotionally engaging. I don't think there is a wrong answer

Steve Williams

Is today’s xdms update sounding better or is it my imagination? There seems to be more in room presence at lower volumes and bass texture. Pre-wine o’clock observation btw!
I haven’t listened to it but the update is only for the app, not the backend. Not sure why it would sound better but maybe there was something else done.
To me I agree however I don't believe that there is a change in SQ but rather for me I found myself turning down the gain one click on my preamp as I have not changed the position on the gain control in weeks. Today that is the change I hear. The SQ is unchanged to my ears

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
I feel your pain. I placed my order on Feb 14th and also asked about the status. I haven't gotten notice yet, but as long as they haven't misplaced or forgotten about the order I'll be OK. But I empathize. I feel a little like I did when I was a kid and would race home from school to see if Strat-O-Matic Baseball had come in the mail.
For what it’s worth, my switch shipped today

Reactions: Armsan and ctydwn

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Went back to Default. Not close, Default has more tonal color & texture, dynamics, transparency, overall more emotionally engaging. I won’t be seeking the Alternative any time soon. Anyone else try this?
Sorry, I missed this completely, from Discord? There are two XDMS playback modes?!

Steve Williams

Sorry, I missed this completely, from Discord? There are two XDMS playback modes?!
It’s in settings same page as Switch to XDMS——Switch to Roon

Reactions: ctydwn

Steve Williams

To me I agree however I don't believe that there is a change in SQ but rather for me I found myself turning down the gain one click on my preamp as I have not changed the position on the gain control in weeks. Today that is the change I hear. The SQ is unchanged to my ears
My personal thought to why I’m hearing what I’m hearing could easily because I’m breaking in a new set of tubes IOW XDMS could be just the same after v49 and I’m experiencing changes from the new tubes

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
I've received the Mikrotik AP and carried out some tests - with Wifi home ap mode in N only and fixed Ch I could get 20 mbs. I powered the AP with batteries
The SQ improvement is substantial. I was scheptical in believeing that an AP could have improve AQ in such high degree till now.

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
May be Taiko can put the mini AP inside the router

It is likely that Emile will add an AP directly into the router. This would be as an m.2 card.

Read here

I believe that Emile and his team anticipated this sort of thing, by adding two PCIe slots, when they designed the PCB.

So I believe we can expect an AP within the router. Which would be great!!

But this is something only @Taiko Audio can confirm.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Sneak peek from Munich. Genius at work setting up the Switch, Router and power distributor:) Actually it was plug and play as I watched expecting some type of magic to be performed but it was plug/play. Easy.

We had music playing on Tuesday afternoon, the show starts on Thursday. Today Wednesday for fine tuning the room.

Image-125.jpeg Image-126.jpeg
IMG_4304.jpeg

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
How did you do this?
Easy enough using a regulated rechargeable battery pack, like one of the many LiPo battery packs designed for providing 5 VDC via a USB port to cell phones, etc. The MikroTik mAP Lite has a micro-USB power input. So just a short USB male to micro-USB male cable required.

Steve Z

RUIN*ish

VIP/Donor
Nov 28, 2021

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing