Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Unexpected results with Panzerholz footers under copper switch and router?

Most interesting.
Please tell us more which products and materials for footers did or did not work with copper housings!
Plexiglass or acryl under switch/router in Munich?
Would you recommend it for shelves, racks?

An inquiring world needs to know!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Can black router ship last week of June?
Will both switch and router fit side by side on a 17.5 by 13.5 inch shelf?

I cannot guarantee that at this point, the first 100 switches were finished pretty quick, the second 100 were a few weeks late. The biggest delay appears to stem from pre finishing which is why we just bought our first polishing machine so we can do that part ourselves, we may need a few of these:

The switch and router dimensions are 21 x 21 cm / 8.27 x 8.27 inch

The DC distributor is 16 x 16 / 6.3 x 6.3 inch

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Unexpected results with Panzerholz footers under copper switch and router?

Most interesting.
Please tell us more which products and materials for footers did or did not work with copper housings!
Plexiglass or acryl under switch/router in Munich?
Would you recommend it for shelves, racks?

An inquiring world needs to know!

Plexiglass / Acryl work just fine. I don’t like placing them directly on carpet, but that goes for most gear.

Reactions: cmarin and engadin

RUIN*ish

VIP/Donor
Nov 28, 2021
I cannot guarantee that at this point, the first 100 switches were finished pretty quick, the second 100 were a few weeks late. The biggest delay appears to stem from pre finishing which is why we just bought our first polishing machine so we can do that part ourselves, we may need a few of these:

Ok. Both should fit side by side.
I'll take a first run router in black...
I'll give dealer a ring..
Mn

Reactions: Taiko Audio

John T

Feb 15, 2022

It looks as though it could also work in a bakery...

Backo NYC/SF

Oct 15, 2021
Hi,
Anyone using Roon ARC? Just curious.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Hi,
Not ARC but I went back to Roon for a few days last week just to recalibrate. It played reliably without interruptions and continued to play 24/7 via Roon Radio when my playlist ran out.

With the Taiko switch and network card it is very, very good. Easily good enough to listen to with emotional involvement and deep enjoyment and without any pining over XDMS. I can't wait to hear it with the Taiko router/AP and DC power distributor.

I understand that might be a minority opinion among the other XDMS alpha testers but that's the way I hear it.

Cuing Steve W in five, four, three. . .

Steve Z

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
The biggest delay appears to stem from pre finishing which is why we just bought our first polishing machine so we can do that part ourselves, we may need a few of these:
Does this positively impact the lead times for the silver and copper finishes (either switch / router / distributor)?

My gut feeling is that a full „stack“ of these three components in silver / copper could easily take until early / late fall. Which is fine (gives me time to save piggy back funds).

Just planning ahead…

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Not ARC but I went back to Roon for a few days last week just to recalibrate. It played reliably without interruptions and continued to play 24/7 via Roon Radio when my playlist ran out.

With the Taiko switch and network card it is very, very good. Easily good enough to listen to with emotional involvement and deep enjoyment and without any pining over XDMS. I can't wait to hear it with the Taiko router/AP and DC power distributor.

I understand that might be a minority opinion among the other XDMS alpha testers but that's the way I hear it.

Cuing Steve W in five, four, three. . .

Steve Z
I’ve had no desire to go back to Roon. Last time I did several months ago it did sound very good.
On my shelf under the Extreme I will have switch and router in the front of shelf and DCD and LPS immediately behind

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I’ve had no desire to go back to Roon. Last time I did several months ago it did sound very good.
On my shelf under the Extreme I will have switch and router in the front of shelf and DCD and LPS immediately behind
The one button I am looking to become active in XDMS settings is the one when turned on allows for import of Roon playlists.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Does this positively impact the lead times for the silver and copper finishes (either switch / router / distributor)?

My gut feeling is that a full „stack“ of these three components in silver / copper could easily take until early / late fall. Which is fine (gives me time to save piggy back funds).

Just planning ahead…

To get a good colour match for a silver finish it appears we will need to resort to powder coating. The other ways we tried all do produce a silver finish but not matching anodised aluminum. We are now waiting for new samples to arrive.

Natural copper is also still being worked on, by the looks of it this may end up becoming a relative expensive finish, needing brushing treatment and multiple layers of strong laquer, like an automotive paintjob.

Reactions: MusicFellow

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
To get a good colour match for a silver finish it appears we will need to resort to powder coating. The other ways we tried all do produce a silver finish but not matching anodised aluminum. We are now waiting for new samples to arrive.

Natural copper is also still being worked on, by the looks of it this may end up becoming a relative expensive finish, needing brushing treatment and multiple layers of strong laquer, like an automotive paintjob.
Emile, do you have a ball park guesstimate about the upcharge? 5, 10, 25%?
This way one can figure out, if it‘s worth waiting.

Would it be possible to order a chrome one and trade-it in later-on? I understand, if this wouldn’t be feasible.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile, do you have a ball park guesstimate about the upcharge? 5, 10, 25%?
This way one can figure out, if it‘s worth waiting.

Would it be possible to order a chrome one and trade-it in later-on? I understand, if this wouldn’t be feasible.

No but I cannot imagine it to be 25%. Trade in just for a different colour is ultimately possible ofcourse, but not ideal.

Reactions: MusicFellow

Christiaan Punter

Hi,
Never was tempted to use ARC... No doubt useful for some (probably many, otherwise they would not have developed it) but not for me. I would welcome saving playlists in the cloud for backup and easy sharing, though.

nuway

Jun 26, 2019

Hi Emile, In case of the router - Is the Wifi module installed inside the PCI router slot. I am also concerned about wifi coverage without external antennas being a solid faraday shield cage box. Can an external antenna be connected to a SMA plug?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile, In case of the router - Is the Wifi module installed inside the PCI router slot. I am also concerned about wifi coverage without external antennas being a solid faraday shield cage box. Can an external antenna be connected to a SMA plug?

No worries, we’re not going to supply non functional Wi-Fi to which you cannot connect your device(s).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing