Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The new Interface card will not replace the USB card but it will be offered as another option.
I know but I thought the new interface card fits in the slot where the USB card is now. There was also some mention way back that there might be a trade back program if the USB card is no longer used

Christiaan Punter

I know but I thought the new interface card fits in the slot where the USB card is now. There was also some mention way back that there might be a trade back program if the USB card is no longer used
As it stands, the Enhanced USB card as it currently exists is not targeted to be updated or replaced. You could either replace your USB card for which we could indeed look into doing a trade-in deal or you can move the Optane OS drive, and there’s room to relocate the storage cards. Also, you could opt to remove the VGA card which is normally not used anyway.

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
As it stands, the Enhanced USB card as it currently exists is not targeted to be updated or replaced. You could either replace your USB card for which we could indeed look into doing a trade-in deal or you can move the Optane OS drive, and there’s room to relocate the storage cards.
Or pull the VGA card, correct?

Steve Williams

As it stands, the Enhanced USB card as it currently exists is not targeted to be updated or replaced. You could either replace your USB card for which we could indeed look into doing a trade-in deal or you can move the Optane OS drive, and there’s room to relocate the storage cards.
Well I guess the question is "why keep the USB card if the new interface replaces all others and outperforms all others"

Christiaan Punter

Well I guess the question is "why keep the USB card if the new interface replaces all others and outperforms all others"
That's a fair question! As a reviewer, I prefer to keep all my options open and I'm sure there are more people who like to either keep several DACs on hand or change DAC regularly, and some DACs only offer USB.

Christiaan Punter

Reactions: oldmustang

Steve Williams

That's a fair question! As a reviewer, I prefer to keep all my options open and I'm sure there are more people who like to either keep several DACs on hand or change DAC regularly, and some DACs only offer USB.
well if I have read correctly there is an initial interest in the new interface card by Lampizator, MSB and TotalDac. If that is the case and if Lukasz indeed is coming to the event and the adaptor for the Horizon is available perhaps this could be arranged for people to hear at the event. I must say that I love the Taiko USB card and to part with it for the sake of the new interface card which apparently is even better is mentally challenging for me but Emile has commented that it s indeed better sonically and as I have said from the start , I am following the Taiko path because Sound Quality is Taiko's number one priority

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
well if I have read correctly there is an initial interest in the new interface card by Lampizator, MSB and TotalDac. If that is the case and if Lukasz indeed is coming to the event and the adaptor for the Horizon is available perhaps this cold be arranged for people to hear at the event. I must say that I love the Taiko USB card and to part with it for the sake of the new interface card which apparently is even better is mentally challenging for me but Emile has commented that it s indeed better sonically and as I have said from the start , I am following the Taiko path because Sound Quality is Taiko's number one priority

I don't know what Lukasz has in mind but it won't be an USB adapter since that would negate benefits of the new interface. My guess is that Lukasz will have to build the new interface into the Horizon. No clue how that gets accomplished.

I also think it will be impossible to assess the benefits of the BPS alone if more than 1 thing is changed.

Christiaan Punter

well if I have read correctly there is an initial interest in the new interface card by Lampizator, MSB and TotalDac. If that is the case and if Lukasz indeed is coming to the event and the adaptor for the Horizon is available perhaps this cold be arranged for people to hear at the event. I must say that I love the Taiko USB card and to part with it for the sake of the new interface card which apparently is even better is mentally challenging for me but Emile has commented that it s indeed better sonically and as I have said from the start , I am following the Taiko path because Sound Quality is Taiko's number one priority
That is indeed correct, and with these DACs, the new interface should be better than any other connection, including USB.
I don't know what Lukasz has in mind but it won't be an USB adapter since that would negate benefits of the new interface. My guess is that Lukasz will have to build the new interface into the Horizon. No clue how that gets accomplished.

I also think it will be impossible to assess the benefits of the BPS alone if more than 1 thing is changed.
These manufacturers will look into building the receiving end of our new format interface into their components.

Steve Williams

If it’s as simple as switching Amanero for JL AUDIO usb adapter which I switched on my Pacific it took about an hour to do

Steve Williams

If it’s as simple as switching Amanero for JL AUDIO usb adapter which I switched on my Pacific it took about an hour to do
That is indeed correct, and with these DACs, the new interface should be better than any other connection, including USB.

These manufacturers will look into building the receiving end of our new format interface into their components.
If it is as easy as it as to switch Amanero for JL Audio USB hopefully Emile could bring with the new card and interface and Lukasz could do the soldering. I’ve talked to Fred about this possibility and Fred said if it is doable and simple in the field Lukasz would do it

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
I know it’s not a popular option, but a two-box, no shipping back option would appeal to me for one reason only- weight.

I do realise it may cost more due to the extra chassis but hopefully not that much more.

Already I can hardly move my Extreme, which is on the top shelf of my rack (unfortunately). I’m very sure I wouldn’t be able to carry it if it had the bps installed.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
But even in an option with two boxes, you would have to make modifications to your current Extreme, among other things you would have to remove the current Power supply and I suppose that for that you would have to send it to Holland.

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
That's where I hope the 'creative' part comes in. I'm hoping if a one-box solution can be done without sending to Holland, then a two-box solution should be even easier. But let's see :)

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
But even in an option with two boxes, you would have to make modifications to your current Extreme, among other things you would have to remove the current Power supply and I suppose that for that you would have to send it to Holland.
It really doesn't look like it would be that difficult to remove the current AC-to-DC power supply from an Extreme. Admittedly, those without any experience working with electrical and electronic equipment might want Taiko or an authorized Taiko rep to do the job, but from the times I've had the top cover off the Extreme for various card installations it doesn't appear that there are anything but industry-standard fasteners holding things in place.

I personally would be willing to remove the old power supply and install a new battery power supply in my own Extreme.

But of course, YMMV, as it indeed should.

Steve Z

Last edited:

R S

Mar 13, 2021
Thank you for making this possible Steve!

Indeed the updated arrival time of the cells are now set at the 30th of September. Less relevant is they’re not coming from China, more relevant is we switched our order to a newer type of cell which recently became available with a ~50% increase in performance reducing the amount of cells we need to use which in turn allows the single box BPS Extreme at a lower then previously projected cost and some other new exciting developments we’ll disclose in due time. These cells are not available in regular retail channels and are build to order. However they do have to come by ship which creates the largest delay as they are not allowed to be shipped by air. Our completed products will be allowed to ship by air (by freight plane only) confirming to certain stringent safety standards.
This is exciting. A silver lining of supply chain challenges is being able to access new battery chemistry / technology. Kudos to Taiko for being agile enough to change options in the pursuit of a superior customer solution.

Skanda

May 2, 2020
im back to NYC for a short stay and back to my magico rig with the extreme in it. my system has been on all week but only gotten about 1hr of play - enough to get it going but not at its peak performance by any means.

anyways, over the weekend @EuroDriver helped me get XDMS up and running on my extreme. firstly, want to say that the interface already seems much more polished and farther along than a previous version i had used. now for the sound…there is more of everything for sure…but the bass is what is throwing me for a loop. it sounds like i have a perlisten stack or something - its absolutely subterranean. the dynamics of music is noticeably higher. really quite addictive. i guess i’m off to order the switch and network card now :D (give me a couple weeks of enjoying just as is and i’ll place the order).

Skanda

May 2, 2020
one more update from this listening session. i am shocked at just how loud i can push the volume without any hint of grain or sharpness. on roon i usually dont push my soulution 721 past 37-40 when streaming tidal. a bit higher or lower depending on genre. with xdms i can have it comfortably at 45-47 if i want a loud session that still sounds clear and enjoyable (without being annoyingly loud). so odd that a software update can do this but very ear-opening and interesting.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
im back to NYC for a short stay and back to my magico rig with the extreme in it. my system has been on all week but only gotten about 1hr of play - enough to get it going but not at its peak performance by any means.

anyways, over the weekend @EuroDriver helped me get XDMS up and running on my extreme. firstly, want to say that the interface already seems much more polished and farther along than a previous version i had used. now for the sound…there is more of everything for sure…but the bass is what is throwing me for a loop. it sounds like i have a perlisten stack or something - its absolutely subterranean. the dynamics of music is noticeably higher. really quite addictive. i guess i’m off to order the switch and network card now :D (give me a couple weeks of enjoying just as is and i’ll place the order).
Adding the Switch + NIC Card to the mix will further up the ante in the bass, both in terms of unfolding more harmonic information in the bass instruments as well as in the transient definition. It really shone there and made me sit up and take notice!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing