Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

wil

Jul 22, 2015
For XDMS users.
Try to switch for Alternative SQ with Discovery
Than switch to Roon and compare the change.
I must say the change to alternative in XDMS has very deep positive influence to Roon SQ presentation. I have no idea what parameters that changes but it is amazing. Bravo Taiko Team !
What is “ Alternative SQ with Discovery”?

Jpowell

Dec 23, 2011
What is “ Alternative SQ with Discovery”?
I'm guessing here, but there is the option for Discovery or Concert at the top. And in Settings, under Extreme Server/Player settings, there's something called Sound Profile, which gives one a Default and Alternative option. Someone more knowledgeable than me can perhaps explain exactly what the difference is between the two.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
For XDMS users.
I must say the change to alternative in XDMS has very deep positive influence to Roon SQ presentation. I have no idea what parameters that changes but it is amazing. Bravo Taiko Team !
I can understand hearing a difference in Roon between Sound Profile Default and Sound Profile Alternative *if* this a a global setting that affects Extreme OS settings and allocations beyond the XDMS back-end program. That the Sound Profile settings are in a part of the Settings menu in XDMS called "Extreme Server/Player settings" would imply that these setting affect the Extreme and not just the XDMS music playing software.

However, Discovery and Concert are XDMS playback modes. If you use the XDMS toggle to select between XDMS and Roon, XDMS should be off (XDMS program not active on the Extreme) when Roon is selected and vice versa. Unless Discovery and Concert are somehow affecting the way the Extreme handles Roon loading a track or tracks during playback I'm not sure how an XDMS-specific setting could/would affect Roon.

Am I missing something, Kris?

Last edited:

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
For XDMS users.
This report is a bit of a surprise for me, as the Default/Alternative toggle only affects XDMS

However, XDMS, as any and every application does leave its memory allocation footprint. I suspect it something to do with this.

Roon Appliance has a huge memory footprint, which makes it senstive which other Apps have been run earlier

Reactions: oldmustang

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I'm guessing here, but there is the option for Discovery or Concert at the top. And in Settings, under Extreme Server/Player settings, there's something called Sound Profile, which gives one a Default and Alternative option. Someone more knowledgeable than me can perhaps explain exactly what the difference is between the two.
Discovery Mode, fetches, process and plays with no caching. Concert Mode cahes the next track for shorter gaps, but user is not permitted to change the order of tracks in the queue

Default and Alternative sound profiles affect the amount of processing that is done before play

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I honestly don't know. I recall Ed mentioning that it was not recommended to run Roon and XDMS at the same time, however that was some time ago. I inferred at the time that this was due to sound quality considerations and not that one of the two programs would break the other if run simultaneously.

In principle, why wouldn't it work? The requests to Roon for information not stored locally with Roon Core and requests via XDMS for information not stored with XDMS (music streaming services) are being routed via the same path. The Taiko router doesn't care what program the requests are coming from or going to.

I would suspect that you would have to go to the desktop of your Extreme and start Roon from there with XDMS already running (or vice versa), since the present XDMS control app only provides a toggle between XDMS and Roon.

Steve Z
When Roon is running it grabs the ASIO channel to the DAC and makes it unavailable to XDMS

So it is possible to play Roon with XDMS still running, but not the other way around

ie, if Roon is running, XDMS can not Play

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I can understand hearing a difference in Roon between Sound Profile Default and Sound Profile Alternative *if* this a a global setting that affects Extreme OS settings and allocations beyond the XDMS back-end program. That the Sound Profile settings are in a part of the Settings menu in XDMS called "Extreme Server/Player settings" would imply that these setting affect the Extreme and not just the XDMS music playing software.

However, Discovery and Concert are XDMS playback modes. If you use the XDMS toggle to select between XDMS and Roon, XDMS should be off (XDMS program not active on the Extreme) when Roon is selected and vice versa. Unless Discovery and Concert are somehow affecting the way the Extreme handles Roon loading a track or tracks during playback I'm not sure how an XDMS-specific setting could/would affect Roon.

Am I missing something, Kris?

I never suspect , I always TEST .
Being scientist affects all my activities including music.
So if there is no hard evidence of positive result I stay quiet.
All you need to do it try it yourself.
My system might be very different from yours so it might not have effect .
I was surprised what it did to overall presentation so wanted others to try and report if this is something important or not.

As a sidenote.
ALL settings in Roon affect SQ when playing XDMS , so WHY to think it is not working other way around ?

Last edited:

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
This report is a bit of a surprise for me, as the Default/Alternative toggle only affects XDMS

However, XDMS, as any and every application does leave its memory allocation footprint. I suspect it something to do with this.

Roon Appliance has a huge memory footprint, which makes it senstive which other Apps have been run earlier

I agree.
I was very surprised this has such a deep and positive effect.
This is to the point I cant listen with defult setting now.

We have very talented Taiko Team to look under this stone.
Everyone has very good trained ears here so I trust Everyone can contribute something including me.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
As a sidenote.
ALL settings in Roon affect SQ when playing XDMS....

I have never turned roon on since installing xdms. Your report that roon settings impact xdms sound quality is interesting, surprising (to me) and disturbing.

Assuming this is real, wouldn't that argue for uninstalling roon? Or getting to the bottom of this in another fashion?
I'm sure team taiko will resolve this issue.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have never turned roon on since installing xdms. Your report that roon settings impact xdms sound quality is interesting, surprising (to me) and disturbing.

Assuming this is real, wouldn't that argue for uninstalling roon? Or getting to the bottom of this in another fashion?
Good to know I’m not the only one

Reactions: ctydwn

RUIN*ish

VIP/Donor
Nov 28, 2021
I doubt it will ever be removed Just don’t flip the toggle switch. Like is good
More like streaming radio will never be added.. But -
If I could have complete control with only one os and not be dealing with software that's coded for everone, which, mostly, does not meet anyone's needs, I know what I'd do.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

I think if you dont have Roon at all , your system might be performing better than mine
on the server level.

I hope uninstalling Roon will be the ultimate solution for most of us.
I did simmilar with Jplay long ago . Extreme was offered with Jplay in its early days.
After some time Roon with Taiko twicks was much better so uninstall was the best choice.
So in the end we all will have XDMS NSM only Or something else that Taiko Team will develop.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I doubt it will ever be removed Just don’t flip the toggle switch. Life is good
Isn’t Kris saying that the Roon program and it’s settings is influencing the sq of XDMS whether or not one is toggling back-and-forth between Roon and XDMS?

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I think if you dont have Roon at all , your system might be performing better than mine
on the server level.

I hope uninstalling Roon will be the ultimate solution for most of us.
I did simmilar with Jplay long ago . Extreme was offered with Jplay in its early days.
After some time Roon with Taiko twicks was much better so uninstall was the best choice.
So in the end we all will have XDMS NSM only Or something else that Taiko Team will develop.
Why not just uninstall Roon if you don’t use it anyway? I assume it’s easy enough to reinstall if needed?

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
More like streaming radio will never be added.. But -
If I could have complete control with only one os and not be dealing with software that's coded for everone, which, mostly, does not meet anyone's needs, I know what I'd do.

don't say never...........there is a not yet functionable item in the setup menu of the xdms app related to 'airable'.

i'm not certain but i think airable is an api that permits streaming/radio

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Why not just uninstall Roon if you don’t use it anyway? I assume it’s easy enough to reinstall if needed?

i have asked that in the past, and was told that the installation does not impact SQ on xdms

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing