Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I would hear "noise" for about 15 minutes. Thought it was just the local file hardware warming up.

Another reason to eventually rid this malware from my E...
So I guess we can infer, as in your case when the noise dissipates after 15 minutes, that the negative influence of Roon settings, etc is temporary…

Or, @Taiko Audio, is the Roon program and settings still influencing XDMS even if Roon has not been used in a couple of months?

If "Airable" is the tool Taiko will use for streaming radio in NSM....
Will there be the ability to enter a specific url?

Last edited:
@team Taiko

Any sightings of the chrome router shells?

Reactions: Stbo
@Taiko Audio ........I know you're extremely busy but I am betting that members here are eagerly awaiting some news on the multitude of new Taiko products in the pipeline

I have made a list but there’s an internal discussion on what to disclose and what not beyond what we’ve already shared.

Exhaustive answer, especially when planned delivery was end of July.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert​

dminches said:
I am more interesting in knowing if Emile thinks we may see the router delivered by Oct 1.
I posted the delivery estimates from the surface finish company a few pages back, should be imminent.

I have boxes full of routers and dc distributors sitting here idle for weeks already, but they do need to be mounted in a chassis before we ship them.

IMG_0227.jpeg

@Taiko Audio

Industry Expert​

Aug 29, 2023

I just received the following update:

Chrome finish routers ETA: 1.5 weeks
Black finish routers ETA: 2.5 weeks
Black finish switches ETA: 2 weeks

Chrome finish switches are currently in stock

i interpreted that to mean that the chrome finish parts would, if things went well, be arriving this week (and hopefully they will).
i didn't mean to start a food fight here.............let's chill everyone.

i interpreted that to mean that the chrome finish parts would, if things went well, be arriving this week (and hopefully they will).
You are consistently where, when, what, how with everything regarding Taiko. If anyone needs to chill it's you.....

Just to add some info I posted already here elsewere.
By waiting longer than expected for a Taiko router we are getting:
- improved ( much better ) PCBs
- included Wifi funcionality ( access point)
- savings by no need for paying for the ethernet cable connecting wifi with router
- savings by no need for additional power rail for wifi access point.
- improved softwere.
I actually value that a lot as for the same money I am getting much more and saving additional money I would need to spend any way.

To add to what Kris has just posted: the wifi functionality included is offered for free to those who ordered the first batch. And that's 600 euros!

Reactions: Kris and seatrope

They should indeed arrive this week, we just called them and they told us they are working on them right now, fingers crossed.

@Taiko Audio ........I know you're extremely busy but I am betting that members here are eagerly awaiting some news on the multitude of new Taiko products in the pipeline

After an internal discussion we have decided to not share details on more upcoming products right now, the reason not being one of secrecy, but a more practical one which is the load these reveals put on our support team. Right now answering questions on the upcoming BPS and new interfaces already create a considerable load to which we don't want to add more, especially as the imminent shipping of the routers will undoubtedly create an additional load already.

In stead I'll share some more details on the current evolvement of the BPS:

A practical challenge with using battery power is when/how to recharge the battery cells combined with the amount of energy storage of the battery pack.

Some simple maths:
An Extreme uses between 60 and 80 watts of power depending on the amount of processing it has to perform and which expansions are installed, the amount of internal storage etc. So we should calculate using the upper limit being 80 watts.
If we want 20 hours of "off the grid" playback capability we will consume 1600 watts, that leaves 4 hours of charging which means we will need to draw 400 watts / hour in our charging window, add 10% for efficiency losses, meaning 440 watts an hour. If we want to charge using a Linear Power Supply that would involve somewhat of a hefty (physically large) supply. One could argue if it's out of the listening window anyway, we could use a SMPS, which can be more compact. But... it's a SMPS. We have developed technology to disconnect it from the mains when it doesn't need to charge, but all of this does not make it a cheap solution and actually not that compact as if it needs to be fan less it will actually require some heatsinking at those charging powers. Naturally we could turn this into a 16 hour listening / 8 hour charging window, that lowers the amount of battery cells needed, and reduces charging requirements, but all together the space savings are not "huge".

How could we implement this solution in a single chassis Extreme? By machining a new bottom plate which mounts on top of the motherboard, with integrated heat pipes, which effectively turns the entire chassis into a CPU cooler. This in turns frees up most of the internal space (except the PCIe expansion card area) for the battery pack and charging solution. Mission accomplished? Well yes with a catch, this solution involves a complete rebuild of the Extreme and it will end up weighing around 70Kg.

The second option is an additional enclosure, that was our initial design which we finished over a year ago and was displayed at Munich 2022. This chassis can be a bit smaller then the Extreme itself, about 420*420 in stead of 483*455 with around the same height. We subsequently created a new design entailing dual 420*420 cases. Each weighing in at around 35Kg. We were never able to actually release this solution due to the parts shortage situation which was a huge problem back then, things are steadily improving in that area luckily and we have received notification of the battery cells we ordered ages ago are now in Germany and will arrive here in the next few days!

While waiting for all this, we have developed a "mini" BPS. This design uses 6 battery cells in stead of the 40 cells the "large" BPS uses. This 'mini" BPS sports a fully programmable firmware with an integrated a charging solution (it still requires a DC input though). We initially designed this to power external devices like the router and switch. It could power an Extreme for 2-3 hours so did not even consider that as an option before. However what we have running now is an Extreme powered by 2 of these which are in turn charged by an adjusted Linear Power supply. As a BPS can deliver up to 2000A instantaneously it covers the peaks involved with booting up the Extreme greatly reducing the requirements on the Linear Power Supply which only needs to supply a relatively low constant current. It is very promising so far solving both the space and weight "issues" and being considerable more affordable (as the other 2 options virtually double the Extreme's retail). We are currently working on finetuning the firmware for seamless operation of this setup, and on the Linear Power supply which naturally now still affects SQ to a degree, but not like in a fully linear powered Extreme as it's function is now reduced to being a battery charger.

Running out of time for today, but I'll try to write something on the interface developments in the next few days.

Its a fine balance between sharing early access information with an eager, supportive community and real-time "live reporting" on the design & development process.

I think its a very sensible decision not to release product information too early and to give the team some 'space' to hone and deliver.

Great news about the mini-BPS approach :)

Its a fine balance between sharing early access information with an eager, supportive community and real-time "live reporting" on the design & development process.

I think its a very sensible decision not to release product information too early and to give the team some 'space' to hone and deliver.

Great news about the mini-BPS approach :)

One thing I forget to mention is we also have a nice upgrade path with using a single external mini-BPS just powering the output card. Right now that being our new interface card. We are considering designing a new USB card optimised around being used in this same fashion. That would be a complete plug&play upgrade solution.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing