Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It depends a bit on walls / flooring / windows etc. In The Netherlands we have a lot of “HR” / “HR+” or even “HR++” glass windows with double brick or concrete walls, Wi-Fi struggles passing through that.
Im in my backyard now as I type this and my signal is strong

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Steve Williams

Indeed Roon is significantly more sensitive to the network environment then XDMS which has been designed from the start to be more immune to networking. IMHO they’re pretty competitive now, that is until Wilson has completed the rewrite to “NSM”.
such a tease....;)

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Oh yeah, 3 arrivals if we count you :)

Good to know. Thank you,
I was expecting the biggest SQ gain with Taiko router based on my routers testing .
But this might be just my system that was always extreme sensitive to network twicks and to the wifi used. Actually networking was more important than anything else I tried.
Will report how this performs in my system.
I was hoping for a big reliefe , but for this final SQ lift I might need to supply it all with BPS !

Reactions: DW101 and ctydwn

Steve Williams

Good to know. Thank you,
I was expecting the biggest SQ gain with Taiko router based on my routers testing .
But this might be just my system that was always extreme sensitive to network twicks and to the wifi used. Actually networking was more important than anything else I tried.
Will report how this performs in my system.
I was hoping for a big reliefe , but for this final SQ lift I might need to supply it all with BPS !
Ive been listening since 730 this morning. Here's my initial thought and TBH to this day I have not said the following.....but with the router XDMS remains excellent BUT to my ears right now Roon is so much better than XDMS. I never thought that could ever happen but according to what Emile is telling me, the reduced down stream network congestion favors Roon immensely. My ears definitely agree and Ive not only been listening but also relearning the ins and outs of Roon.:oops:

The GOOD news is that soon to be released NSM will once again be the King of the Hill and the BPS with Emile's new interface will maintain that order for a long time I would bet

To all of the XDMS users, now I know the method to Emile's madness when he said to listen to Roon after you've installed the new Taiko router.
I have 3 devices on Taiko WiFi...the rest of my network is all upstream

Steve Williams

Emile, could you provide a rough estimate for the NSM release date?
Simplest answer will be when XDMS goes beta and that is extremely close as I think I understand it

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Christiaan Punter

One tidbit is that when you login with "Admin" as spelled with a cap A (I saw it somewhere, not in the instructions), anyway it doesn't work. It's "admin", then the pw. AND as Steve said the cap I and the small L can take a few attempts to figure out what works.

I had to mess around with shutting the Extreme off and looking for the IP address with Fing. When I first looked at Roon it showed a different IP address that what I currently had, BUT that IP address that I got from Roon delivered "unable to connect".

After rebooting (after trying unplugging the DAC cable from the switch to the router) and messing around Fing showed me an entirely different IP address. I inserted that into XDMS and then "in" and playing music.

The HW took a total of about 10 minutes and zero issues. The SW (stupid login Admin/admin)and then getting the IP address took some tinkering, probably just me, will be interesting to see how it goes for others.

Too early to give any sonic impressions.

This pic is where I saw the cap A in Admin and it stuck with me. It's always the "little things".....

View attachment 117653
Those passwords are difficult telling small L from large I
We will change the font so all letters and upper/lower case will be distinctive.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ive been listening since 730 this morning. Here's my initial thought and TBH to this day I have not said the following.....but with the router XDMS remains excellent BUT to my ears right now Roon is so much better than XDMS. I never thought that could ever happen but according to what Emile is telling me, the reduced down stream network congestion favors Roon immensely. My ears definitely agree and Ive not only been listening but also relearning the ins and outs of Roon.:oops:

The GOOD news is that soon to be released NSM will once again be the King of the Hill and the BPS with Emile's new interface will maintain that order for a long time I would bet

To all of the XDMS users, now I know the method to Emile's madness when he said to listen to Roon after you've installed the new Taiko router.

Right now Roon sounds better than XDMS on my system with just the switch.

Steve Williams

We will change the font so all letters and upper/lower case will be distinctive.
will you be able to supply stickers for those who already have the Router. It was a PITA trying to figure I vs l

John T

Feb 15, 2022
The gap between Roon/XDMS was significantly closed with the SWITCH/NIC. Exciting to "hear" that the router has further closed the gap...Sounds as though it propels Roon...

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018

Hi Steve.. have you tried different filters in DCD?

Steve Williams

The gap between Roon/XDMS was significantly closed with the SWITCH/NIC. Exciting to "hear" that the router has further closed the gap...Sounds as though it propels Roon...
I think you’ll be shocked.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Steve.. have you tried different filters in DCD?

Just a quick reminder there was already some feedback posted by @Christiaan Punter describing his impressions of the filters in this thread and on our website here:
https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/c...distributor-tests-at-taiko-hq/?v=796834e7a283

Not yet. I have to get to know default first.

Something to keep in mind when comparing filters is that each individual filter is prone to burn-in effects. They use the highest possible quality parts available like Duelund capacitors which do take about 5 days or so to loose their initial “veil” after which clarity, sophistication, micro detailing and dynamics are at a significantly higher level. You will probably not notice this veil initially as this is offset by the increased clarity of inserting the router/dcd into the chain, but if you change filters after these 5 days those which have had some burn-in may sound better to you just because of that.

If you preferred Roon over XDMS before the router/dcd you will most likely have a preference for the “alt2” filter, if you preferred XDMS chances are good you’ll prefer “alt1”.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

I was able to get same effect with taiko switch and home router settings.
XDMS was always a bit worst.
95% of my payback time was Roon.
So it looks my Taiko router investment will be a big step up if it favours Roon.
Hope to get it by the end of this week

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

Thank you Steve
If you the biggest FAN of XDMS came back to listen to Roon it tells all I need to know.
It must be a very big difference in a network noise that is generated by the standard routers we all use.

I agree we need to get BPS ASAP to complete the fundamental things like low noise power delivery first to be able to focuse on the final softwere changes as that is power quality depandent.

Reactions: John T and DW101

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing