TechDAS Air Force 2

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
Congratulations. With graham elite wand things will be much much better. I am very glad to see that you are using odin for tonearm cable, because it makes a huge difference with graham elite. Sme30 is a very good tt like u said, but Af 's in another league. There can be only one tt can best yours, Af1 :)

Ps. I am not your enemy :) but you should try the techdas cartrdige with Elite. It is a killer combo.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Christian Jedi mind tricked me into going with the Odin with my Elite and I am very glad he did :D

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
It certainly hasn't let me down. Extraordinary!

The clarity and space are the first qualities that hit me. As things started to settle, the soundstage began expanding front to back, side to side with layering unlike anything I've heard in one of my systems prior to this.
I'm still trying to get a hold of what is going on here. I wasn't expecting this!
I can't imagine what the AF1 must sound like.

One of the differences between the AF2 and AF1 is that one box (pictured below) contains the power supply and air pump on the AF2 as opposed to two separate boxes on the AF1.
Pump is dead quiet and every record lies completely flat on the platter. What a luxury!
I'm running the Graham Elite arm, right now with a Phantom arm wand while I wait on the Elite wand.

Congrats! :D:D Looks great! Amazing product isn't it - ya it's pretty hard to first grasp what is initially happening because it's unlike anything else. I had two other tables MS w/floating platter and Intera unit & stainless platter - second table was TW Black Knight from Germany.

I haven't posted anything for a while but here are some of my thoughts of my AF1 & Elite arm

Initial impressions;

1. How silent the air pump is
2. Seeing my record lay totally flat and not see my arm move up and down at all - my records are mostly pretty flat but now 100% w/the hold down.
3. I was drooling over the top notch fit and finish and attention to detail - just a amazing pce
4. Elite arm is exceptional also, I noticed how it just seemed to effortlessly float "glide" more so than any other arm I own or have owned and very easy to use.
5. First listen - WOW! I wasn't expecting this - immediately notice how quiet my record sounds and I have played it endless times - any other record same results.
6. Way more musical sounding
7. Rhythm & pace there in spades - to me this means the speed is accurate
8. Sound of performers and instruments just sound amazing! - so realistic
9. The stage - nothing that I have ever experienced before - just awesome!

I'm very fortunate to have such a source feeding my system - very happy indeed :D :D What goes in goes out.

Hats off to Hideaki Niskikawa the maker of the table and also to Bob G for his fine Elite arm.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That number 5 is a big one ey David? :D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That number 5 is a big one ey David? :D

Interestingly, that is the biggest take away I had when I listened to Rockitman's AF1. It was incredibly quiet with almost no surface noise. Being an unfamiliar system, it was difficult to attribute any other sonic character to his turntable apart from the rest of his system.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Interestingly, that is the biggest take away I had when I listened to Rockitman's AF1. It was incredibly quiet with almost no surface noise. Being an unfamiliar system, it was difficult to attribute any other sonic character to his turntable apart from the rest of his system.

How true Peter. I've gone through A LOT of gear in my years and no matter how often I'd audition there was never any substitute for proper home auditions to get a handle on what a piece of gear does.

Silence and lack of sonic signature is Nishikawa-san's main objective. No surprise that that is our common takeaway.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Frank, you have your first upgrade. Upgrade the caps to Gold ;)

They look pretty cool in person, on the AF1 not so much

17376303652_d6140a0e9b_b.jpg

17352302426_7195a48681_b.jpg

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
G'day AF2 folk!

I have been running mine with a Graham Phantom II and have just ordered an Acoustical Systems Axiom. Has anyone tried that combination?

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I am using AFO + Axiom + Koetsu Coralstone Platinum . Awesome catridge

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
Hi audioblazer,

May I ask who made the arm board for your Axiom/AFO combination? What is the mounting distance (for the single screw which holds the arm) and the pivot-to-spindle distance used in your specific situation?

Thanks,
Young Skywalker

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Sorry just saw the posting . I used a brass armboard . Got it CNC thru a friend using the ebony arm board provided by AFO . Drilled a few pieces before I got it right . 1 of my main grouses about AFO is the inflexible armboard . Had problem with my Reed 12P for the second armboard as well . Not sure where I put my feirkert protractor . Will measure it & post later . Probably tomorrow

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
Congrats! :D:D Looks great! Amazing product isn't it - ya it's pretty hard to first grasp what is initially happening because it's unlike anything else. I had two other tables MS w/floating platter and Intera unit & stainless platter - second table was TW Black Knight from Germany.

I haven't posted anything for a while but here are some of my thoughts of my AF1 & Elite arm

Initial impressions;

1. How silent the air pump is
2. Seeing my record lay totally flat and not see my arm move up and down at all - my records are mostly pretty flat but now 100% w/the hold down.
3. I was drooling over the top notch fit and finish and attention to detail - just a amazing pce
4. Elite arm is exceptional also, I noticed how it just seemed to effortlessly float "glide" more so than any other arm I own or have owned and very easy to use.
5. First listen - WOW! I wasn't expecting this - immediately notice how quiet my record sounds and I have played it endless times - any other record same results.
6. Way more musical sounding
7. Rhythm & pace there in spades - to me this means the speed is accurate
8. Sound of performers and instruments just sound amazing! - so realistic
9. The stage - nothing that I have ever experienced before - just awesome!

I'm very fortunate to have such a source feeding my system - very happy indeed :D :D What goes in goes out.

Hats off to Hideaki Niskikawa the maker of the table and also to Bob G for his fine Elite arm.
I'm glad you like the combo so much, and thanks for the good words. Too often we see things represented as somehow floating independly of other equipment; i.e., the "W00Woo" speakers sounded so great with the Drossage Amplifiers" - no mention at all of the turntable/arm/cartridge providing the great sound they're enjoying. In this case (item #9 in David's post), soundstage is a combined effort; the turntable, certainly, must be a true foundation to allow the tonearm - the main AND ONLY link between the LP and the phono cartridge to do the work, and properly. Resonances or other gremlins in the arm will cloud things , while the right arm (ahem!) will give you what you have every right to expect from such a high-level playback system. Couldn't resist that plug - and now, enjoy the music..! - Bob Graham

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm glad you like the combo so much, and thanks for the good words. Too often we see things represented as somehow floating independly of other equipment; i.e., the "W00Woo" speakers sounded so great with the Drossage Amplifiers" - no mention at all of the turntable/arm/cartridge providing the great sound they're enjoying. In this case (item #9 in David's post), soundstage is a combined effort; the turntable, certainly, must be a true foundation to allow the tonearm - the main AND ONLY link between the LP and the phono cartridge to do the work, and properly. Resonances or other gremlins in the arm will cloud things , while the right arm (ahem!) will give you what you have every right to expect from such a high-level playback system. Couldn't resist that plug - and now, enjoy the music..! - Bob Graham

DEV's impressions are exactly in line my observations...well done on the arm Bob and of course Nishakawa-San on the table.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Hi audioblazer,

May I ask who made the arm board for your Axiom/AFO combination? What is the mounting distance (for the single screw which holds the arm) and the pivot-to-spindle distance used in your specific situation?

Thanks,
Young Skywalker

Mounting distance 233mm
Pivot to Spindle 289mm

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
Thanks, audioblazer. :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just read Fremer's rave review of the AF2 in the most recent Stereophile. He really seems to like this turntable. He mentions that the speed accuracy is even slightly better than that of the VPI Direct Drive that he tested, and with the non stretch belt, the speed should also be extremely stable.

I have a few questions about the table. Is the motor on the same platform as the platter, or is it somehow decoupled? Fremer does not go into much detail about the suspension, the motor, or the platter. And I am very surprised that he chose to insert four Stillpoints under the table and did not listen to the table without the Stillpoints. It seems that to understand how effective the table's suspension truly is, he would have to test it as delivered.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I just read Fremer's rave review of the AF2 in the most recent Stereophile. He really seems to like this turntable. He mentions that the speed accuracy is even slightly better than that of the VPI Direct Drive that he tested, and with the non stretch belt, the speed should also be extremely stable.

I have a few questions about the table. Is the motor on the same platform as the platter, or is it somehow decoupled? Fremer does not go into much detail about the suspension, the motor, or the platter. And I am very surprised that he chose to insert four Stillpoints under the table and did not listen to the table without the Stillpoints. It seems that to understand how effective the table's suspension truly is, he would have to test it as delivered.

Yes, the motor is decoupled. I was pleasantly surprised about the speed stability of this belt drive TT compared with the VPI DD. He really needs to review the AF1 again to give a more meaningful comparison with the AF2. He had an early model that did not use the full air chamber feet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 323

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing