Thoughts on hearing a Wilson XVX Chronosonic System at Evolution Hifi

Why shouldn’t I? It costs nothing to listen. But, I’m perfectly satisfied with my Focal Utopia Maestro Evo. XVX is one of the ugliest audio products I’ve seen. It’s also insanely expensive and yet they are still using the old fashioned carpet which deteriorates quickly on the front of their speakers. Wilson can’t even build their own drivers. They make a cabinet and customize a crossover. That’s all. No thank you to any of their products.

You are not a Wilson fan, we get it.

You say Wilsons are ugly, but I find your speakers extremely ugly. Flat, mdf, wide. And a driver array that is jarring.

Reactions: Another Johnson
You are not a Wilson fan, we get it.

You say Wilsons are ugly, but I find your speakers extremely ugly. Flat, mdf, wide. And a driver array that is jarring
Post content deleted. You sir, were out of line here.

The Admin team of WBF

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
Heard your speakers many time. Not my cup of tea. Baffle is wide and that design is due for a refresh.
You didn’t hear them in my room with my equipment. There is nothing to refresh about the design. It seems like every six months Wilson comes out with a new speaker and they replaced the Sasha every year, making the old one worth even less when you try to resell it. The Focal Utopia Evo line was refreshed several years ago. There was no reason to be changing a good design as often as Wilson does. The only thing that I can say good about Wilson is that number one they have a very nice paint job and also they are made in the United States. Since I already owned a pair of them and I’ve heard many of the other models at length, I’m in a good position to give an opinion about their products. I am sure there are many people who don’t like McIntosh even at their upper end like the gear that I own. That’s fine. I think each person should buy whatever they want. Wilson speakers do not age well. The acoustic blankets on the front deteriorate very quickly and since they changed the design so often, they start looking old very quickly when the older model is replaced.

What impressed me most was how natural and immersive the listening experience was. It made you want to sit and listen for hours.
It’s a speaker that costs as much as many houses. For $369k msrp, it is insanely overpriced. It should be great, maybe for $100k tops. Wilson has some racket going. I would be surprised if they sell more than a few pair of these a year in the United States.

You didn’t hear them in my room with my equipment. There is nothing to refresh about the design. It seems like every six months Wilson comes out with a new speaker and they replaced the Sasha every year, making the old one worth even less when you try to resell it. The Focal Utopia Evo line was refreshed several years ago. There was no reason to be changing a good design as often as Wilson does. The only thing that I can say good about Wilson is that number one they have a very nice paint job and also they are made in the United States. Since I already owned a pair of them and I’ve heard many of the other models at length, I’m in a good position to give an opinion about their products. I am sure there are many people who don’t like McIntosh even at their upper end like the gear that I own. That’s fine. I think each person should buy whatever they want. Wilson speakers do not age well. The acoustic blankets on the front deteriorate very quickly and since they changed the design so often, they start looking old very quickly when the older model is replaced.
It doesn’t matter. You didn’t hear the Wilsons in other members’ rooms either. The Evo line is a the same as the III and the prior generations before it. Everyone has gone into better enclosures and they still use MDF. Even the gloss finishing in the side panels are sub par. The top section of the Maestro is tenuously attached and my friend’s unit broke on install.

Not a fan.

But that’s not the point. You spew hatred on this thread. But you can’t stand it when someone doesn’t like what you own. Get over yourself.

the old saying opinions are like...................

Reactions: Pokey77
Why shouldn’t I? It costs nothing to listen. But, I’m perfectly satisfied with my Focal Utopia Maestro Evo. XVX is one of the ugliest audio products I’ve seen. It’s also insanely expensive and yet they are still using the old fashioned carpet which deteriorates quickly on the front of their speakers. Wilson can’t even build their own drivers. They make a cabinet and customize a crossover. That’s all. No thank you to any of their products.
That is how a lot of us feel about Focal and McIntosh ! ;) Thank god we have such diverse tastes :)

• Haha
Reactions: dbeau
It’s a speaker that costs as much as many houses. For $369k msrp, it is insanely overpriced. It should be great, maybe for $100k tops. Wilson has some racket going. I would be surprised if they sell more than a few pair of these a year in the United States.

I disagree for two reasons.

1. I have been to the factory twice and there is a ton of skilled labor involved in creating the non-resonant cabinets. The parts are very expensive and the painting process is very lengthy with many stages of painting. Until you see the bill of materials, it’s hard to judge that from a distance.

2. They sell every pair they make.

??? Wilson generally only updates models roughly every five years. The update of my Alexia 2s to Alexia V had 31 changes! Also, they switched to non-disintegrating felt baffle fronts many, many years ago.

Reactions: Another Johnson
??? Wilson generally only updates models roughly every five years. The update of my Alexia 2s to Alexia V had 31 changes! Also, they switched to non-disintegrating felt baffle fronts many, many years ago.
Regarding the XLF, it was introduced in 2012, and the XVX reviews started coming out late 2020. So about 8 years.

Post content deleted. Inappropriate behavior.
You said they sound unlike real music and have a mid bass hump. You said they all sound unnatural and they look like they were made in a basement. You also said the Sophias were your worst purchase.

If that’s not your definition of bad for an audio product, then what do you define as bad?

Guys...I am not sure what you are discussing here. The looks of a speaker is a matter of taste. Some may like the way one brand looks while other may like the way another brand looks. If you as most significant others they will tell you they are all ugly boxes and barely tolerate them. To each their own.

On the other hand, we are buying a speaker for the way it sounds. The Wilson sound and the Focal sound are very, very far apart from one another. If someone loves the Wilosn sound they probably don't like the Focal sound and vice-versa. At the end of the day each person pays their hard earned money for thier choice of speaker that makes them happy. To each their own.

Guys...I am not sure what you are discussing here. The looks of a speaker is a matter of taste. Some may like the way one brand looks while other may like the way another brand looks. If you as most significant others they will tell you they are all ugly boxes and barely tolerate them. To each their own.

On the other hand, we are buying a speaker for the way it sounds. The Wilson sound and the Focal sound are very, very far apart from one another. If someone loves the Wilosn sound they probably don't like the Focal sound and vice-versa. At the end of the day each person pays their hard earned money for thier choice of speaker that makes them happy. To each their own.
i could live with and love the best of Wilson and the best of Focal i have heard. but each would reside in a system and room which would have much more to do with the ultimate performance than the speaker itself. neither is limiting at the end of the day.

both are high performance. would either be my ultimate speaker choice? no. but that is not the issue. both can get you all the way there. that is the issue.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're not a fan of Wilsons. ;-)

Todd
Thats exactly what I’m conveying to Tascam. That everything is a matter of taste. And while he might not like Wilson, the same can be said for Focal. Which means he’s not right but he’s also not wrong. I just find it poor form to be bashing Wilson repeatedly on a Wilson thread without moving the discussion forward.

Todd
Thats exactly what I’m conveying to Tascam. That everything is a matter of taste. And while he might not like Wilson, the same can be said for Focal. Which means he’s not right but he’s also not wrong. I just find it poor form to be bashing Wilson repeatedly on a Wilson thread without moving the discussion forward.
I never said Focal was better than Wilson. I bought it because I like the dealer, got a special deal, and I like the sound. It’s not better, it’s just different

You said they sound unlike real music and have a mid bass hump. You said they all sound unnatural and they look like they were made in a basement. You also said the Sophias were your worst purchase.

If that’s not your definition of bad for an audio product, then what do you define as bad?
I believe all of that from personal experience. That’s why I don’t own Wilson now. I always thought my Wilson Sophias looked like trash receptacles and so did all my guests. The attitude at Wilson is snobby and how dare you question them on anything. They even claimed their Sasha DAW had the same transparency as an Electrostatic speaker. What a bunch of BS lies. It wasn’t even close. Vocals sounded somewhat closed off and even a little grainy. But it did have the usual Wilson slam and bass in your face, which sounds good for a few minutes, and then it becomes very annoying and fatiguing.And if the DAW was so great, why was it replaced so quickly. That model was out for less than a year and it was supposed to be a tribute to the founder of the company. This is typical of Wilson.

I believe all of that from personal experience. That’s why I don’t own Wilson now. I always thought my Wilson Sophias looked like trash receptacles and so did all my guests. The attitude at Wilson is snobby and how dare you question them on anything. They even claimed their Sasha DAW had the same transparency as an Electrostatic speaker. What a bunch of BS lies. It wasn’t even close. Vocals sounded somewhat closed off and even a little grainy. But it did have the usual Wilson slam and bass in your face, which sounds good for a few minutes, and then it becomes very annoying and fatiguing.And if the DAW was so great, why was it replaced so quickly. That model was out for less than a year and it was supposed to be a tribute to the founder of the company. This is typical of Wilson.

Attachments

• 7AA280C0-9AF2-4906-94BC-76D79CBF82A3.jpeg
    7AA280C0-9AF2-4906-94BC-76D79CBF82A3.jpeg
    446.8 KB · Views: 4

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu